Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 02:35 PM

3,231 posts, read 3,524,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
This lady at my job was promoted 3 weeks ago and since they haven't found anyone to fill her previous position, she is currently doing both jobs for the same money? You would think she would be using all her mental energy to learn the new job.

First time I ever seen a coworker in this situation. When I saw her doing the old job I thought she changed her mind and decided not to accept the challenge.
What industry is this in and what relative levels are the 2 roles.

In my company, you wouldn't be promoted unless you were actually performing work at the higher level for a lengthy period of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 02:51 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,283,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Seen it often. The bad part is they also often end up doing neither job well which is a major fault in modern management.
My guess is that they'll never find that replacement....do people really put up with this for more than a few weeks? I'd certainly train my replacement but only a chump would continue to do both jobs for more than a few weeks...and what kind of workplace takes such advantage? Right...a lot...but not ones I would give my heart and soul to!

Old 12-01-2016, 02:52 PM

1,281 posts, read 773,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
What industry is this in and what relative levels are the 2 roles.

In my company, you wouldn't be promoted unless you were actually performing work at the higher level for a lengthy period of time.
Social services

Old position was clerical support

New position is case manager

Old 12-01-2016, 04:26 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,687,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Sounds like a chemist/scientist from what he wrote.
Really? Sounded more like a something less... scientific... to me.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:05 PM

12,704 posts, read 8,924,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Absolutely. 100%. We choose how we perceive a situation. Some may perceive a company as promoting folks based on their merit as a good thing and give them hope that they too can realize the same benefit if they work for it. Then there are those who are mediocre workers to begin with, who see folks getting promoted and without knowing why start throwing around assumptions about why they got the role. ....
While I do agree in general with much of what you've said, at the same time I've experienced enough to know that it's not always that pretty out there and that while he doesn't express it well, Dorian is not 100% wrong either. It's one of those things that we just can't believe until we actually experience it because it is so illogical and ultimately self destructive for the business. Yet it still happens. And unfortunately there are innocent victims of that form of bad management, even if the business survives, there are permanent battle scars, and if it doesn't, further collateral damage. Enron would be one example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
My guess is that they'll never find that replacement....do people really put up with this for more than a few weeks? I'd certainly train my replacement but only a chump would continue to do both jobs for more than a few weeks...and what kind of workplace takes such advantage? Right...a lot...but not ones I would give my heart and soul to!
Yes, people do put up with it when they alternative is unemployment. Or they have family to support. I've put up with a lot of things to keep a roof over my children's head and food on the table whereas had I been single at the time, I would have been gone in a heartbeat.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:27 PM

1,281 posts, read 773,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
While I do agree in general with much of what you've said, at the same time I've experienced enough to know that it's not always that pretty out there and that while he doesn't express it well, Dorian is not 100% wrong either. It's one of those things that we just can't believe until we actually experience it because it is so illogical and ultimately self destructive for the business. Yet it still happens. And unfortunately there are innocent victims of that form of bad management, even if the business survives, there are permanent battle scars, and if it doesn't, further collateral damage. Enron would be one example.

Yes, people do put up with it when they alternative is unemployment. Or they have family to support. I've put up with a lot of things to keep a roof over my children's head and food on the table whereas had I been single at the time, I would have been gone in a heartbeat.
well I would hope she says something at some point because it's not right to do double work while only getting paid for one of the jobs. And I bet since it's December they probably even attempt to fill her position until after the new year.

Old 12-02-2016, 05:09 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,616,037 times
The problem with private insurance, the business model is to maximize profits. This means ultimately you don't want to insure the unhealthy and want to insure the healthy. The problem is, those that aren't using services won't voluntarily purchase insurance while those that are using services will want insurance (but don't want to pay for it).

So we have a bit of a dilemma. I think everyone should agree that the resources toward healthcare would be better spent on the providers, the medications, tools, etc and not to pad the bottom line bonuses of some corporate CEO so he can have his own personal helicopter to get to work.

The question is HOW DOES a privatized Medicare system work? Who would want to pick up this patient population that is extremely costly? I'm all for providing an incentive for one own's family account for example, but this won't help those that are currently obtaining services.

I would love to see actual data with statistics regarding how the model of this is deemed to work.

Old 12-02-2016, 05:35 AM

6,569 posts, read 11,233,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Right.... So its the employees infecting the other employees to having low morale and worker disengagement.
All the time? Absolutely not. Sometimes? Absolutely.

Quote:

Not terrible employers, worker exploitation, LOUSY hires (Be it through nepotism or cronyism who are immune to any bad consequences for lousy performance, and everyone has to pick the slack up for) , no loyalty for their own (Would rather hire the inept relative or friend instead of the dependable, already knowledgable of the process employees at the company), and greed at the top (record high company profits, record LOW raises and employee compensation.. Yea the upper execs need that third yacht or Lamborghini) ..

Gotcha..
That obviously happens as well. However, in the end, the culture of a company is created/maintained by everyone. It certainly helps if the leadership supports a culture that works for the majority. That said, you will never "satisfy" everyone (80/20 rule).

Quote:
What amazes me more are corporate apologists who actually defend this type of thing that is the TRUE cause of low morale. Not other freaking co-workers. ROFLMAO

Sorry I don't share you're "just take it and love it" attitude.
At the end of the day. Both the employer and the employee play a part. Both are accountable. And failures happen on both sides. Just as abuse happens as well on both sides.

Take yourself for example. You obviously have a lot of bitterness toward the corporate world. And perhaps this was caused by some event in your past that has cemented this perspective. This obviously was not your fault. However, you're inability to move past it is. We're all anonymous on this board. But just based on the vitriol you seem to throw out at every opportunity (BTW - most of us are no corporate apologists. We're just countering your 'blame employers for everything' attitude), I'm pretty sure I know the type of co-worker you are. And trust me, that Debbie downer attitude is not healthy. And going back to your first point - you are likely infecting your colleagues with that attitude.

Old 12-02-2016, 05:50 AM

4,268 posts, read 6,276,294 times
Quote:
No I would say you are extremely fortunate to find a good employer that cares for the employees. Which is like finding a particular needle in a stack of needles in a field full of needles today.

I probably never have said anything about the corporate world today because there really is NOTHING good to say about the corporate world today. There isn't one dang redeeming quality in the private sector that I have experienced or can think of and I have worked for three F500 companies.

If I was to give advice to someone it would be to avoid the private sector all together unless:

1. You really landed a good gig with perks (but those are highly coveted positions)
2. You're a good brown-nosed with great networking contacts. (Since these people get the pick of the litter jobs and a job for life)

Other than that, there is no reason to join
I've been in the work force since 1991 and have had 12 jobs during that time (more if you consider the two years I worked as a temp (which I count as one job since I reported to one agency, even if I worked at dozens of different companies during that time)).

I've worked for investment bankers, lawyers, hospitals, hotels, sports companies, insurance companies, government contractors, environmental companies, telecommunications. Each company I worked for was great. And I'm including the company that fired me in 1993 and the company that laid me off in 2009.

Out of those jobs, only TWO companies had "perks" (one had free healthcare and generous year-end bonuses, while the other allows me to work from home whenever I want for any reason and has promoted me to more challenging roles three times in 7 years).

I work hard at what I do and even if the task is considered menial, I put in 100% to get it done correctly and on time. My reputation for quality work has resulted in higher ups taking notice. That's not brown-nosing. That's being a good employee with pride in what I do - whether it's making copies for a meeting or leading a project that affects the work of thousands of employees.

It's a shame that you can't find one redeeming quality in the corporate world (unless they offer perks) or feel the need to insult those who find success (calling them brown-nosers).

Old 12-02-2016, 06:31 AM

4,850 posts, read 3,626,344 times
I've been a fed employee for 30 years and have done this so many times I could count them.

-someone is on extended sick leave, you do their job;
-someone deploys with the Army Reserve, you do their job;
-they have a baby, you do their job;

and on and on. You are expected to just suck it up an do their job, no questions asked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment