Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 11:36 AM

29,507 posts, read 22,620,513 times

Advertisements

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/w...p-1779102.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 05:29 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,705,460 times
My spouse has been on a PIP at his previous employment and when he interviewed, he never told anyone about this. And he was hired with no problems.

PIPs are very, very common these days.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:36 PM

4 posts, read 6,817 times
tassity22- I assume he was on PIP while he interviewed but wasn't officially unemployed while looking? Did he get a new position before PIP ended?

Old 12-01-2016, 05:38 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,664,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk91 View Post
I was with a major organization for 5.5 years for which I was a sales rep. My manager of 5 years was demoted and roughly 6 months into the new manager I missed a quarter and received a warning letter. I hit my next quarter and still was placed on a PIP. Approx 5 weeks after getting the PIP, I came to the conclusion that the new manager was making changes and I couldn't win (the PIP had many inaccuracies and so there were a total of 5 versions made), so I requested to resign with a future employment end date. This was granted. Now am unemployed, looking for my next opportunity. After my official end date I filed for unemployment. Keep in mind, I resigned, but am still collecting unemployment. Typically when you resign, you don't get unemployment. When I filed for unemployment, the state had many questions about my departure and then went back to my employer asking for details. They then came back to me saying that you were discharged due to performance and that is why you resigned. I then gave more detail to the state showing that they didn't have a airtight case for performance reasons, and the state came back with a letter saying I was awarded unemployment benefits, and that I was terminated "without just cause" because "evidence has not been submitted to establish that the claimant did not perform the required work." I am doing by best to move on, and have been searching and interviewing. I have a career coach, and others I have been seeking advice from. Based on my exit scenario, most tell me to keep it simple during an interview and say that at the same time my company made a large acquisition, my manager of 5 years was demoted. A new manager came in and began making changes and I was downsized. I realize I don't want to go down the road of bringing up the PIP, or how I was awarded unemployment as the state sided with me. So, do I just want to keep my departure as "I was downsized along with others after my company made a huge acquisition and the many changes that followed?'

Thanks in advance for any feedback
No need to say anything other than this.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:43 PM

4 posts, read 6,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
No need to say anything other than this.
OK, so even though it wasn't an official "downsizing" in essence I was downsized and stick with that line?

Old 12-01-2016, 05:50 PM

1,180 posts, read 777,227 times
Quote:
OK, so even though it wasn't an official "downsizing" in essence I was downsized and stick with that line?
Yes.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:12 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
NO. That is a LIE.

Why do you keep wanting to explain yourself unnecessarily? We've given you solid advice and you keep asking the same thing over and over.

*shrugs*

Good luck.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:07 PM

876 posts, read 812,623 times
The situation you described sounds like the ideal outcome for your situation. After resigning from a job that wasn't working out, you received unemployment benefits, even though that would often be a disqualification.

I would not worry one iota about how you need to explain what happened. You should just make up anything plausible, at big companies it's understood that downsizing and restructuring is part of the territory.

The other route is of course the truth. But it's probably better to steer away from these conversations in a job interview. No one is going to fact-check you.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:01 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Also keep in mind that your employer may have determined that any increase in unemployment tax rate wasn't worth wasting any additional time challenging your claim. So they simple stopped responding which means you get benefits by default because they failed to submit any evidence to disqualify you. However, unemployment determination have nothing to do with what that former employer will say to any perspective employer. Maybe they will only verify employment date. Maybe they will be truthful and disclose both positive and negative things about you. Or, they may use the newest signal, not respond at all. Not responding tells the perspective employer that you are not even worth the time of providing a courtesy verification of employment.

So, don't complicate what doesn;t need to be complicated by starting out the relationship on dishonestly. Tell them honestly (after all if it was the wrong thing why did you do it), why your not working there; IF THEY ASK!

Old 12-02-2016, 05:59 AM

606 posts, read 730,072 times
Screw them and take all your old customers to your new place of employment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment