Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 07:18 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
What you're forgetting is the recession really changed that market. That entry level job was basically eliminated or filled by older workers with experience.
you're forgetting that the recession is over, those jobs are back and the experienced guys have moved on. The new generation behind the millennials are getting the entry jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 07:22 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
How do you learn a new skill when you're, 18, homeless and public education has let you down?
I would look into a trade such as pipefitting or something similar, or join the military and then you can go to school for free.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:28 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,913,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTK View Post
So I'm gonna throw my opinion in because I technically fall into one category of people who minimum wage was made for, aka young 19 yo in college.

It was horrible. My first semester in college, I worked for $9/hr part-time because I was a full-time student, the only way I could actually get more in grants to help me through school. The $9/hr barely helped me keep my phone on, much less afford a decent amount of food. I was able to splurge ONCE on a longboard, which became my mode of transportation around campus and work (and you'll be surprised how much faster you can get around on a simple longboard). I only used buses because my college had a thing with the bus company, so if you use your ID you get free busing.

Now lets fast forward six months later. I had to drop out because I couldn't afford to stay in school. $500/month to pay for **** dorm when I was making $300 on a great month. I couldn't take on a second job, I was too busy in school. I asked for, and was denied, more hours to help. So I had to drop out because it was financially impossible to stay. They told me "sorry, we thought you had family nearby" when the housing authority rejected my appeal to move out the dorms. They also assumed I was getting help from family. This told me they never even read the one page letter I had to ****ing write.

So I'm still 19 and out of school because I can't afford to go back. Still earning minimum wage and struggling. Can't move back with family, that's not an option. So I was homeless for ten months and living in a shelter earning a wage designed for someone like me. I finally was accepted to move into a $285/mo townhouse. I have my own room. It's okay.

I still have to pay car insurance, renters insurance, medical bills (thanks to ****ty insurance I accepted from a job I soon quit thanks to manager being a major ***** for reasons I don't feel like naming), debt from non-payment because I couldn't afford to pay bills, and a phone bill thats cheap ($60/mo unlimited). I also have a credit card payment due to a credit card I took out when I was actually making $10.50/hr and working full time (which at the time was fantastic until I was laid off), debt in collections due to bills I was never able to afford paying off, debt from a closed bank account ALSO due to bills I couldn't afford to pay, and a ticket I got that's due in six days and I already know I won't be able to pay.

I am of the group minimum wage was made for, apparently, but I haven't been having any luck with it. So far it's just debt on debt. I had to not pay my insurance, let medical bills sit, and actually (for the 1st time) not pay my credit card bill on time. I don't make enough to do any of this. And the only reason I have renters insurance is because otherwise my car insurance would be $130/mo for state minimum insurance for a ****ty 96 intrepid. THe only reason I even drive the car is because all the good jobs are not within walking distance and the buses dont run on time. And the only reason I'm not even driving my car is because I can't afford to get it looked at after complications arose from problems I knew the car had but also couldn't afford to either fix or get looked at anyway.

But yes, tell me more on how helpful minimum wage is for someone my age. It's grand. Lets pretend even before I had a car, moved out, and was homeless in a shelter that it was helping me earn skills for the workforce....

And I'll be honest: I'm still looking for a job and applied to 32 of these easy to get jobs, that pay a wonderful paycheck for someone with my age and skill level. The factories out here pay $12.25/hr if you're lucky enough to get one, and I already applied to four. The most you can earn is that $12.25, not many factories out here pay for more and they're out in the boondocks or not close to real society industrial part of town.
I see your point but others will give you "find a better solution speech" Min wage hasnt increase in long time, and again needs to be tied to inflation. Thats the problem. It feels the more people try to make and save, the more they try to raise the prices on things, as they think we have disposable income to burn. O look people are making 3k more this year, so i can raise my prices just because the can afford it. when in fact its just a smoke screen to make you think we earn more, than the inflation blinds you. Stop the inflation and keep wages with the economy GP, we could all have a place to live, or get a education. Taking on debt is NEVER the answer nor it should be. Business love it when were in debt, because they think they OWN us when we are in debt to them. Main reason why i do my best to pay things in cash or to same as cash when i need to break it down in installment loans. Hate paying interest to some smuck not doing anything.

Old 12-05-2016, 07:32 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times
Wages are stagnant but corporate profits have been going up since the recession ended.

Last time I checked that wasn't how it's supposed to work.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:25 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,913,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Wages are stagnant but corporate profits have been going up since the recession ended.

Last time I checked that wasn't how it's supposed to work.
Yep, but wait for it "Start your own business and rules" comments on this response. I mean come on your BANKING! Billions a year after taxes, fees, wages, and other things in business deals.. and complain about giving your employees a raise. Your not going to go broke giving up 10% of that to give somebody extra 40 bucks a week a min, dollar hour raise. I think there needs to be a cap on corp profits, anything over xx BILLION, needs to be trickle down to the guy cleaning the toilets.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:38 PM

7,643 posts, read 4,589,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Factory work around here pays not much more than fast food. And it's generally thru a temp agency.
You're doing it wrong. I work temp jobs. I tell them my rate I'm willing to work for. It's their problem if they have people that want me for less than their margin. I can be flexible, but my lowest in a year has been $70 an hour and that's because it was 4 blocks from my home.

So if you'll work for 15, tell them. If it's 20, tell them. Temp work means you dictate the wage, don't let them turn that on you.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:35 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
You're doing it wrong. I work temp jobs. I tell them my rate I'm willing to work for. It's their problem if they have people that want me for less than their margin. I can be flexible, but my lowest in a year has been $70 an hour and that's because it was 4 blocks from my home.

So if you'll work for 15, tell them. If it's 20, tell them. Temp work means you dictate the wage, don't let them turn that on you.
The local factory jobs are relatively menial positions. You either take it or leave it. It sounds like you are working something that requires niche skills to command that kind of money.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:40 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
There are plenty of people who do not lack ambition but are working in low wage jobs. Some of them just aren't very smart and aren't suited for more complicated jobs.

That's right. I wonder how many in this thread have worked a McJob for a long duration. You will find that many of the workers there simply are not capable of doing higher level work. This is why i find this push for a sudden $15 an hour wage to be quite distressing. It will put a lot of people out of work and on the dole, or contribute to the ever rising homeless population.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:19 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Minimum wage jobs were never designed to support a person much less a family. These jobs were meant typically for part-time work, high schoolers, retirees, stay at home moms. Anyone who needs full time work to support themselves or a family should not even be looking at these type of employers. To get mad because a company won't pay more is ridiculous to me. No one is forcing you to work there for that pay! If there are no better options in the area, you move. If it's due to lack of experience, stay at the minimum wage job to build experience for a short period of time and then move on to a higher paying job. If it's do to education, take one class a semester till you have your degree or a specialized certificate. But as stated in other posts....you don't need a college degree to earn a decent living.

https://thebillfold.com/it-was-alway...ab1#.cj602hnpv
In his 1933 address following the passage of the National Industrial Recovery Act, President Franklin D. Roosevelt noted that “no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country.”

But even if this were false, one needs to acknowledge that times change. Automation and machines took over mass agriculture and farming, freeing a large number of the labor force to do other jobs, oh... like FF, McDonalds, retail, etc. Nobody' going to keep spouting "work the farms!". Internet has made many business model obsolete. Hopefully, nobody's telling you to go start a Blockbuster Video or see encyclopedias.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:27 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
you're forgetting that the recession is over, those jobs are back and the experienced guys have moved on. The new generation behind the millennials are getting the entry jobs.

Well yes things have improved, but those graduating classes are permanently stunted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment