Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 09:51 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Having blue hair is irrelevant. I have pink and purple streaks in my hair, and I don't need to borrow money for a bus pass. ;
I don't lend money, but I will give money on occasion with no expectation of getting it back. If you can't or don't want to, just say no. It's not that big of a deal.

Well actually no it isn't. She is probably going to a salon to have that done, or at that very least does it herself. Regardless it is money spent on something you don't need.

Transportation back and forth to your job is something you need.

It's called priorities.

I usually find with people who are always broke or whining about not having any money, they spend money on stuff they don't need but want, and the minute they do get any money they spend it, the idea of putting it into a savings account or a "rainy day fund" seems oblivious to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 09:53 AM

1,180 posts, read 778,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well actually no it isn't. She is probably going to a salon to have that done, or at that very least does it herself. Regardless it is money spent on something you don't need.

It's called priorities.

I usually find with people who are always broke or whining about not having any money, they spend money on stuff they don't need but want, and the minute they do get any money they spend it, the idea of putting it into a savings account or a "rainy day fund" seems oblivious to them.
Hey now... I think that the poster with the streaks is free to do as she pleases. She did make the point that she doesn't ask coworkers for money.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:53 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
I occasionally get bored enough on my days off to watch the TV judges and those loans are a frequent topic. Loaning money to a "friend" with no collateral often doesn't turn out well. There is a reason title loans cost so much. They are very risky even with the collateral.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:07 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
I'm betting her phone bill is in the hundreds each month but she can't buy a bus pass. Tell her to talk on her phone as she walks to work. Don't loan her a dime, it will never end and you won't ever see a penny back !

Old 12-04-2016, 11:33 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
My response to people like that is to educate them...

You don't solve Money problems with Money, but behavior changes.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:58 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
Haha this reminds me of an incident a couple years ago. I was driving around with my bf (now my husband). I got a call from a co-worker. In a distressed voice, he asked me if he could borrow $80 or so for food and gas. I said sure.

So, we stopped by the bank and I pulled out $100. On the way to his house, I couldn't t help but wonder. I knew his salary was $120k/year. What was he doing asking to borrow $80 from a co-worker on a weekend for food and gas?

When I got there, he explained to me. He was going thru a divorce. He did not hire a lawyer because he just wanted to get it over with. His wife, a lawyer, hired another lawyer. He signed everything they gave him. Because of that, at the time that he asked me for money, he had nothing in his name.

He eventually hired a lawyer and got all that overturned.

A year later he got married to another lawyer. I keep wondering where he found all these lawyers to marry?

Old 12-04-2016, 12:09 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
I left home at the old age of 17 and worked two jobs to support myself with no car, but it was tough. When I would go to work, very hungry, I told no one that I spent what little money I had paying rent, getting to my job, and on used clothes to look just okay. I never once thought about getting a government or personal handout as I didn't want anyone to know how hard I was struggling. Hard lessons but today, I'm comfortable and grateful for the motivation to not allow that to define me.

Sometimes saying No is a gift for those smart enough to see it.

Old 12-04-2016, 01:11 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
I have not ridden the buss for a long time so I don't know how much a transpass costs. Guessing $100? I would probably give her the loan... Stipulating that I will be paid back 1/4 of the amount each paycheck. If she cannot afford that, then she is indeed asking for a gift - not a loan - which I would reject.

If she doesn't pay me back, she has no cause to ever ask me for anything else in life. If she does make the payments I would make sure she know that I am not in the banking business and that she needs to get her "stuff" together.

Either way, no big loss.

Old 12-04-2016, 03:17 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAcapulco View Post
....or just ignore completely. I kind of think she is attempting to play me. She's not "expecting" a no. (This is the one with a Kik, and SOME kind of social network. She is on the phone a decent amount.) She is older than me, too.

"Only give money if you feel like never seeing it again." Am I right?

I technically didn't respond yet, so.

?

You've given us too little information. How would any of us know if you should lend your co-worker money for bus pass?

How long have you known her?
How much does a bus pass cost?
Is it a one-day pass for her to get home from work, or a monthly/yearly pass?
What are the terms of the coworker to pay you back?
Why does your coworker need the loan?
How is she attempting to play you?
Explain what you mean when you say she's not expecting a no?
What has her being older than you got to do with anything?
What makes you suspect you'll never see the money again if you do lend it to her?

Old 12-04-2016, 04:03 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

It's called priorities.

Right. Lots of people spend their money foolishly and then go begging for the things they need. If I was at a new job and needed a bus pass, I'd ask for a pay advance. Or even go to a paycheck loan place.

Yes, they cost a lot and one shouldn't use them regularly. But I have used twice in my life for very temp emergency and budgeted for it and the interest to be automatically deducted from my account.

I can't fathom being new at a job and asking a co-worker!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment