Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 06:19 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,229,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
A degree in computer science is no walk in the park. There is a good reason why the majority of students choose a soft major like psychology or gender studies.

I used to tutor math in community college years ago. I worked with students who struggled with even basic math, and this was college How is someone like that going to study computer science?

A good potion of people should not even be in college. Problem is the jobs that people like that once did are gone.
The reason they're at community college is because they needed remediation. This can happen to any of us.

When you don't do academic math you forget it quickly. I took the GRE my senior year of college and scored pretty well in the quantititative sections even though I didn't even prepare for the test. I had just recently taken math classes my senior year.

5 years later after being in the workforce where I only used a certain type of math regularly, I took it again, thinking I was going to go back to grad school. This time I bought a book and prepared for the test somewhat. My score sank something like 20 percentage points. I think I went from like somewhere in the 80s percentile in math to somewhere in the 60s. It also sank from the 90s in the verbal section to the 80s, and I went from 6/6 in the writing to 5/6. I was shocked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 01:16 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,958,267 times
My husbands father walked into a bank job with a degree in English in the late 70's early 80's. Later became VP of that bank. My husband graduated with a degree in Finance this year.. Honors and top 15% of his class.. He's been searching for any job in that field for 6 months. He works as a 911 dispatcher. You do the math.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:29 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
My husbands father walked into a bank job with a degree in English in the late 70's early 80's. Later became VP of that bank. My husband graduated with a degree in Finance this year.. Honors and top 15% of his class.. He's been searching for any job in that field for 6 months. He works as a 911 dispatcher. You do the math.
This situation in a nutshell answers the OP's question.. It was 10000000x easier back then than it is now ESPECIALLY for college graduates..

America has gone to hell in handbasket.

Within 5 years, the only jobs opportunities for college graduates will be is flipping burgers (Of course that may be the case already). There plenty of menial job openings now, but no careers.

And Im sure your husband will have to go back to school 2-3-4-5 times for 2-3-4-5 different degrees and FOR WHAT??????? A 4 year degree and honors, should be MORE Than enough for job opportunities with good pay. Just as it was before. . The rest can just be learned on the job with experience.

Last edited by DorianRo; 12-12-2016 at 01:45 PM..

Old 12-12-2016, 03:29 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
I am an older millennial but I can remember the tables turning around mid 2000s. I remember living in booming Houston and always finding a job pretty easily. I just filled a paper application and the manager would take one look at it and at me and invite me in for an interview. I would get hired that day or they would call me back in two and boom I had a job. This is how it was for me throughout my high school years and a little bit of college before I moved to the northeast.

After the crash and a little bit before it, it just became harder and harder to find work. The internet has made it easier to find a job but the vetting process is insane. Companies now want the luxury to not just find someone qualified but they want a perfect fit. They want people with the cleanest record, the perfect resume, perfect credit, and best personality. And they want to pay them a paltry wage. All that to work retail these days? LOL.

It's all about nepotism, knowing someone, scratching someone's back so they can scratch yours, etc.

The best thing you can do is find a niche market, learn the trade, and update your skill set. Carve yourself out a slice of the workforce. Make yourself valuable to employers. Stand out.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:31 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
Quote:
A 4 year degree and honors, should be MORE Than enough for job opportunities with good pay. Just as it was before. . The rest can just be learned on the job with experience.

THIS. Employers don't have the time, patience, or want to waste money training people anymore. They want people to hit the ground running. Nearly every job is on the job training.

Old 12-13-2016, 04:15 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I am an older millennial but I can remember the tables turning around mid 2000s. I remember living in booming Houston and always finding a job pretty easily. I just filled a paper application and the manager would take one look at it and at me and invite me in for an interview. I would get hired that day or they would call me back in two and boom I had a job. This is how it was for me throughout my high school years and a little bit of college before I moved to the northeast.

After the crash and a little bit before it, it just became harder and harder to find work. The internet has made it easier to find a job but the vetting process is insane. Companies now want the luxury to not just find someone qualified but they want a perfect fit. They want people with the cleanest record, the perfect resume, perfect credit, and best personality. And they want to pay them a paltry wage. All that to work retail these days? LOL.

It's all about nepotism, knowing someone, scratching someone's back so they can scratch yours, etc.

The best thing you can do is find a niche market, learn the trade, and update your skill set. Carve yourself out a slice of the workforce. Make yourself valuable to employers. Stand out.
Or people may need to start looking out of country, especially people with weapons development skills. I feel like that's going to be the only thing that starts getting peoples attention.

most people don't give 2 craps until there is a possibility that they are going to start feeling the heat of the consequences and it seems now that heat is going to have to be literal to get anyones attention.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:27 PM

245 posts, read 382,293 times
I can speak of the the 1990's job situation because that's when I became employed. I know during the dot com boom there was lots of employment even for non-college degree individuals. The dot com boom was from 1995-2000. There was plenty of jobs back then and economic outlook seemed brighter. If you were to quit your job back then you would have spent a couple of weeks looking for another and during that time span you would have got 3 interviews and 2 job offers. It was that easier back then to become employed.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:45 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,878,006 times
I started working mid-80's in entry level blue collar jobs. Was easier back then? Hell yes!
Simple paper application with no more than a quick glance from the hiring manager to verify you signed.
No drug testing.
No criminal background checks.
No personality tests.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:40 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irco View Post
I can speak of the the 1990's job situation because that's when I became employed. I know during the dot com boom there was lots of employment even for non-college degree individuals. The dot com boom was from 1995-2000. There was plenty of jobs back then and economic outlook seemed brighter. If you were to quit your job back then you would have spent a couple of weeks looking for another and during that time span you would have got 3 interviews and 2 job offers. It was that easier back then to become employed.
Yes, I was an employer then and we had a lot of trouble finding good people. Back in the 1990s I was paying $7.50 to start, while training, more than the current federal minimum wage. It was far easier to get a job than in the 60s, 70s, or 80s. By 2000 I was paying $10-12, but then in 2001, 911 changed things.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:09 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,044,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
This situation in a nutshell answers the OP's question.. It was 10000000x easier back then than it is now ESPECIALLY for college graduates..

America has gone to hell in handbasket.

Within 5 years, the only jobs opportunities for college graduates will be is flipping burgers (Of course that may be the case already). There plenty of menial job openings now, but no careers.

And Im sure your husband will have to go back to school 2-3-4-5 times for 2-3-4-5 different degrees and FOR WHAT??????? A 4 year degree and honors, should be MORE Than enough for job opportunities with good pay. Just as it was before. . The rest can just be learned on the job with experience.
I have a BS Geology degree with a minor in GIS (with honors). Got laid off a couple years ago due to the oil/gas downturn. Can hardly find any job to apply to. Unless I want to dump that degree off my resume, but then I'd have to cleverly explain how I spent 10 years playing around as a geologist.

I'm also close to 50, so my chances of getting hired are diminishing fast.

I am looking into being a substitute teacher. I figure I can substitute teach in math and science classes. I'm in Colorado and to apply to be a substitute teacher I need a 3 year substitute teaching license ($90), a background check and finger prints ($40) and transcripts ($10). I need to spend $140 before I can even apply. And I may not even be hired. There is no word on what the requirements are besides having a BS/BA degree. And the pay? It starts out at $80/day. That's $10/hr folks (before taxes) for a part time job with no benefits. It might just be easier to run a cash register at the corner quickie mart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment