Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 01:30 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,345,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Gone are the days such as in the late 90s when companies were poaching workers in their senior year and offering them attractive salaries before graduation. I remember classmates were bragging which companies made offers to them as long as they graduate and maintain a certain GPA. This is rare today unless you are really gifted or have highly desired skills.

Also gone are the days when companies have retirement parties for workers who decide to call it quits in order to collect their pensions and start Social security benefits.

These days you see many boomers are still working for reasons unknown taking positions that could be filled by a new college grad.

Also gone are the many large orientation at big companies where you see incoming hires all from different colleges like a freshman day. Today, very few companies have a rotation of incoming college grads. Too many temp & contractors going in/out of companies weekly.
What do you mean gifted or highly skilled?
Something like engineers
There are not really many of them in the US.from what I seen ( H1B visa people don't count)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 01:32 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brother227 View Post
Technology has made the job search easier and much harder at the same time.How many perfectly qualified applicants had been cast aside like human debris because their resume didn't contain the right keywords?
From my experience and from what friends have told me, they get calls for jobs all the time now that aren't even in their right field because the people doing the recruiting don't have a clue. But if you have any of the buzzwords needed for the profession, you should be getting a call.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:34 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
Most of these posts are spot on with my experience. In the 70's - 80's I could walk into almost any company, ask for a job and was hired on the spot. If I didn't like the job I could just quit and have another job the same day. Seldom ever even filled out an application except as a formality after already hired. Just needed my name and info. for tax's. Times have changed.........
What kind of job are you talking about? Counter sales in retail?

Old 12-06-2016, 02:25 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,999,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brother227 View Post
Technology has made the job search easier and much harder at the same time.How many perfectly qualified applicants had been cast aside like human debris because their resume didn't contain the right keywords?
So true...paralysis by analysis. It's like online dating. More choices makes people more picky. That average Joe that Susie Q would have been happy to marry in 1950 is dud in 2016.

Old 12-06-2016, 02:34 PM

259 posts, read 268,265 times
Was finding a job much easier back in the 60's, 70's , 90's?

Yes.

The world is different now.. more competition and many relatively newer jobs require more training and tech.

Old 12-06-2016, 02:35 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,999,324 times
Based on conversations with older family members, in the 70's & 80's, the key for applicants was effort and a willingness to succeed. You still had to pound the pavement and go on interviews, but self-motivated people could easily find decent jobs with fair compensation.

I liken the old days to high school football. Every team had one or two guys that are really gifted but everyone else is playing for fun. A 22-year old with a degree, eager to learn and flexible was easily the top candidate for most employers. Nowadays, it's like the NFL. Everyone you compete against was a superstar at the previous level.

Old 12-06-2016, 02:47 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,714 times
I assumed he left out the 1980s because the bottom dropped out of the manufacturing job market in 1982, and lumping that in with the "good old days" will make everyone over fifty laugh.

Old 12-06-2016, 02:57 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,798,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Back then if you were qualified, you got a job offer within days of applying or sometime that day you applied and interviewsed.

You didn't have to be potential drinking buddies, complete some governmental scientific corporate psyops brain screw testing to see if you will "be a good fit". Or look like a runway model or be a niece/nephew of the hiring manager . Are you qualified to do the job? That's all that matters back when America was actually normal and less petty and superficial

Companies used to hire on whether or not you were qualified and could get the job done. Now it's all about everything BUT being qualified and getting the job done
All of this personality testing that companies do now should be illegal. It's used as a form of discrimination.

The 80's were bad for some because that's when manufacturing went downhill and unions started to lose their power. The 90's were a way way better job market than what we have now. The baby boomers experienced the best years which were the 50's to the 70's.

Old 12-06-2016, 02:57 PM

5 posts, read 3,117 times
I can speak for the late 1990s myself.

I was 16 in fall 1999, and I got a part time job doing Housekeeping in a nursing home. It was Saturdays and Sundays from 7am to 3pm because I was a junior in high school at the time. My mom, a CNA at the same nursing home, have gotten me the job. I had friends who also worked in local grocery stores as Cashiers, Baggers, nursing homes as CNAs, etc. This was when you can look in the classified ads in the newspaper, go to the place of employment in person, fill out the paper job application, had one interview, and got hired on the spot. If you didn't like that job, you can easily find a new job that same or next day. Nowadays, that is not the case anymore because the job market and economy are really bad that jobs are now scarce. Since the 2008 financial crisis, finding a job has become really difficult as employers are being far picky, and the competition for jobs have become really fierce.

Old 12-06-2016, 03:25 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,984,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
All of this personality testing that companies do now should be illegal. It's used as a form of discrimination.

The 80's were bad for some because that's when manufacturing went downhill and unions started to lose their power. The 90's were a way way better job market than what we have now. The baby boomers experienced the best years which were the 50's to the 70's.

It should be. But for whatever reason corporations are above the law, right and wrong, they are classified as "people". Yada yada so they can abuse all the power they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment