Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 06:55 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,973,733 times

Advertisements

Yes - always make a cover letter tailored to the position being applied for!

I always used cover letters to talk about the intangibles and things that the resume doesn't convey - just in case the company I am applying to doesn't immediately notice things like 'transferable skills' when I am applying for a job that I may not have held before.

If you have never worked for a pet store before, and you have no real training for that but you owned pets when you were young (or now) and you worked retail and you paid such good attention to something else at another job that you noticed something was awry with x, y or z .. you can say that you have very good attention to detail that would stand you in good stead as a groomer, etc. Not a super good example but I am tired so I apologize - just look for those 'transferable skills' in your job history and use them.

I tell them what it is about my personality that makes me suited for the position I am applying for. I also try to slip in a bit that shows I have researched the position (beyond the basic info that I might have seen in an ad) and the company.

The purpose of a good cover letter I think is to attract attention. Resumes are often boring reading. Tweak their interest in you in some slightly different way than many others would. A good cover letter can make you stand out from the crowd.

Show some personality - but not TOO much unless you are applying to be a clown in a circus maybe. Illustrate your 'drive' in some manner - things that will make you a good employee - but watch out for the standard catch phrases and words. Don't just pedantically say things like 'I am reliable and adaptable' without giving a bit of information that enhances that description.

Be personable but polite, succinct and professional. Get someone else to proofread it and give you tips about content and sentence structure if it seems stiff or too flighty or contains (as I always have to edit out ) too many run-on sentences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 07:54 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
I'm guessing that the types of jobs you're describing wouldn't be needing cover letters. More likely they would post about available jobs, and you would either telephone or apply online. I'm also guessing that any letter could be a little informal in tone, for instance, just starting by saying that you were interested to see the job posting because it sounds like exactly what you were looking for. You could also try posting bits of your resume here, to see if someone could help you re-word things in a more favorable way.

Also, keep in mind that if you're interested in animal hospitals or animal shelters, one good ploy is to work there as a volunteer. You would then have a little something to add to your resume, and it might help you get early word about job openings.

Old 12-08-2016, 11:35 PM

387 posts, read 554,447 times
Aery11 has it right - I teach a class about this and mentioned a lot of what was said in that post.

- Make sure the text takes up no more than 50% of the page or they won't read it carefully.
- Always address to someone specific if you can - call to ask whom to send it to if you need to, and tailor the letter to the job, changing it with each resume/CV you send out.
- Say what makes you a good fit for the job AND what you especially like about the job/opportunity.
- Thank them at the end.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:27 AM

66 posts, read 43,129 times
Have you checked out askamanager.org? When I was searching for a new job I read all her articles about cover letters and was able to write ones that were much nicer that what I had done before. She has a couple of examples of real cover letters that really helped me.
Here are the search results for "cover letter" Search Results

Good luck!

Old 12-09-2016, 10:58 AM

285 posts, read 262,250 times
Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to try it all when I put in for the animal hospitals.
Keep in mind, I know it's a stressful position but I've want to go to college to be a vet tech and know, before I spend all my money, what I'm getting into. It seems highly stressful but the best way I can find out is if I work closely with them.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:52 PM

206 posts, read 154,304 times
*Write your cover letter to be specific to the job you are applying too. Don't use a universal cover letter.*

Sorry had to re-write it so it didn't have errors lol. But yes, write the cover letter specific to the job that you apply for. I know lots of people don't like to do that because it is time consuming, but looking for work is full time work itself.

Old 12-11-2016, 07:58 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,547 times
Lots of good advice. I'll add mine (some of which is just repeat/reinforcing what others have said):
*Write to a specific person (not "to whom it may concern")
*your letter should indicate you know a lot about the company/position to which you are applying
*Personalize it and use it to highlight information that makes you a great fit for the job (and highlights skills that you have on your resume that you want to stand out)
*Be succinct and not wordy-- don't try to sound smart or too formal and don't use trite phrases that everyone uses
*PROOFREAD!! And then have someone else proofread. And then proofread one more time.
*End with a statement that expresses your appreciation

One "formula" you can use that is common is a 3-paragraph letter. The first paragraph talks about the position to which you are applying and briefly why you're a good fit. The second expands on the way in which you are a good fit- highlight a skill or two and directly connect it/them to why that would benefit the company. The third reiterates your interest and expresses appreciation for the person's time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment