Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 06:03 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,416,702 times

Advertisements

Not in my workplace. We have a small staff and work in a somewhat specialized field. That weeds out most fools and timewatchers before they even hit the ground to get in the door.

Here's our rule of thumb......

If somebody manages to get hired and they shut up and get done whatever needs to be done, we've probably got a keeper. Keepers earn respect, get help when needed and are given great latitude on arrival and departure times, days off and so on.

If somebody manages to get hired and utters "youn's always work this hard?" every other sentence then we scatter like roaches in sunlight. They find no help, questions don't get answered and they soon leave out of total frustration.

Don't get me wrong, everybody is given the same chance to ask questions and learn about things like "how's this machine turn on?", "where do you keep this supply?", "what are some things I shouldn't do?". But trust me, we've learned to filter out the fools within one shift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 06:25 PM

676 posts, read 725,718 times
It's really none of my business what other employee's are doing. I do my work at a pace im comfortable with and they do it at a pace they are comfortable with. If they choose to work harder, thats on them. I did work for a company that I relied on another guy to help me out and he chose to do other things most of the time so I just let the work pile up one really busy day and quit with out telling any one. He got some over time in that day lol. For the most part ppl Should just mind their own business and let the bosses worry about their ppl.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:33 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Having a lazy and incompetent co-worker around is a blessing, as long as you're not quite so deficient, yourself. It's like a neighbor who lets his bushes grow longer over the sidewalk than yours. You'll never get a citation, until after he does.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:07 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,067 times
I wish there were more lazy people at my job...they would make me look better. My office is filled with young excited people who bring their A game every day.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:49 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Having a lazy and incompetent co-worker around is a blessing, as long as you're not quite so deficient, yourself. It's like a neighbor who lets his bushes grow longer over the sidewalk than yours. You'll never get a citation, until after he does.
Lol….definitely some truth to this.

I work in a union shop, and unfortunately, some people can do just enough to not get fired, are quickly realized to not know what they are doing, are kept from doing difficult tasks, and/or are a pain in the arse to everyone around them and still keep their job.

I work hard, do the job right every time, and get along well with everyone, even if I don't like them. I also happen to be the highest paid employee in my department (not saying that boastfully, because in a union shop you are often assigned higher pay grades based on seniority, and I'm most senior) This motivates me to outwork other people and justify my salary. I think the inverse is true with some of my coworkers.

All that said, I'm no longer a fan of unions like I was when I first started in one. I have benefited greatly from a pay perspective but am surrounded by people of greatly differing work ethics, and attitudes to match. I would have this job in a non union shop based on my work ethic, but some of my co workers would have been gone years ago.

But like Steve implied, those same people take up all the bosses time and frustration, while I am given free reign to do as I please, which is usually working, but not always. I have plenty of free time too, but I know when to slack off, and know when to work hard. Its the same on the office side from what I hear, same types of people, same types of slackers and know nothings. The only difference is they are easy to fire, and union workers are not.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:10 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Honest question for you. Why do unions work so hard to protect guys we all know should be fired? I mean workers know who pulls their weight and who drags the whole shop down. No one likes carrying the load for the slacker. I worked a crew one time where one guy slept the whole shift in the back room. And frankly that's where the rest of us wanted him. If he was on the floor, he made everyone else's job harder and asleep was the safest place for him to be.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:40 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
yes, at my company they do

Old 12-10-2016, 11:09 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Honest question for you. Why do unions work so hard to protect guys we all know should be fired? I mean workers know who pulls their weight and who drags the whole shop down. No one likes carrying the load for the slacker. I worked a crew one time where one guy slept the whole shift in the back room. And frankly that's where the rest of us wanted him. If he was on the floor, he made everyone else's job harder and asleep was the safest place for him to be.
I hear that labor unions in Germany, to use one example, are in charge of disciplining and terminating their employees for disruptive behavior, poor performance, etc., and that approach should be adopted in the United States. It would definitely increase accountability of the membership. I'm not sure if that approach would work here, though. My union leadership is atrocious. Hard headed, ignorant, and seemingly unaware of who signs their paycheck. Many are still living in the 1970's.

We have the defense counsel approach, you are offered representation no matter what, even if you don't deserve it.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:18 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
hm, because if it is so hard to fire that person, it means it is as hard to fire you...

do you rather put up with one person "slacking" or always looking over your shoulders wondering if you'll be out the door

if someone can't do their job, bring it to their boss's attention that he needs to be retrained

plus i don't mind working with "slower" people, I can pull volume but prefer not to sit there going over minute tasks, i let the slower guys handle it and they are happy to not run around. I'm happy to not be stuck doing it

Old 12-11-2016, 07:39 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,231,525 times
OP must be very young and inexperienced because you will encounter this in most workplaces and areas of life. Life's not fair, deal with it, and concentrate on yourself and your job. How come OP is always so angry and complaining about others? Must be a very bitter person...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment