Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 10:18 AM

4 posts, read 3,124 times

Advertisements

So I graduated with a bachelor's in economics in December of 2014 and I was in the job market for a few months, couldn't find anything good so I've been working pretty random jobs intermittently and travelling since then. I am fine with this for the time being, but I am just wondering if employers find it weird or undesirable if they get an applicant who graduated let's say 3-4 years ago and doesn't really have any relevant experience? If it matters, I would primarily be talking about research and financial jobs. I apologize if this has been answered already, I searched and didn't find anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 10:27 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
That's interesting. What sort of job did you expect to get with a degree in economics? Maybe something in the banking industry?

I've taken several economics courses and found them to be valuable, but not for obtaining a salaried job. I started my own business, where I use information form my economics courses.

I think for something like economics, your degree gets stale if you don't use it. You become out of date.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:28 AM

674 posts, read 608,449 times
If you were an employer, would you give serious consideration to "an applicant who graduated 3-4 years ago and doesn't really have any relevant experience"? There's your answer.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:29 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
not that the degree goes bad, but why hire you when they can get younger/fresh grads with same degree and same lack of experience?

if you had experience before traveling, and could use that to come back later on then it works out

Old 12-11-2016, 10:37 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcodiaz View Post
So I graduated with a bachelor's in economics in December of 2014 and I was in the job market for a few months, couldn't find anything good so I've been working pretty random jobs intermittently and travelling since then. I am fine with this for the time being, but I am just wondering if employers find it weird or undesirable if they get an applicant who graduated let's say 3-4 years ago and doesn't really have any relevant experience? If it matters, I would primarily be talking about research and financial jobs. I apologize if this has been answered already, I searched and didn't find anything.
For the most part, job experience is relative. So it's not that someone will look at what you've done (or not done) the last two years and go - "ugh". But they'll simply compare what you can offer to what the other applicant's can offer and move forward with the the ones they like better.

So having essentially taken two years off, I'm sure that's going to have some impact. You'll be competing with fresh graduates. That can be good or bad.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:49 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,078 times
Did you network or do any internships in college?

Old 12-11-2016, 10:53 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I would say it's already stale. Once you're out for a year, the new grad deal is gone and you're competing against experienced candidates, no matter how much experience you actually have.

I graduated in economics in 2010, and like you, couldn't find anything in banking or related, even though I had an internship at a local brokerage.

I got stuck in an IT call center for years and was able to leverage that and the economics degree to get a job for a software vendor to the investment banking industry. From there I've gotten more roles in financial software.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:27 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times
Typically, without relevant experience your degree goes half stale after a year and goes stale after 2.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:36 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,017 times
I disagree with other posters. I don't think your degree ever goes stale. If that were true, degrees wouldn't be required after jobs that require 2+ years of experience. You would only need them for entry level jobs. Not having a job or working in a field for years can cause SOME of your experience to go stale IMO.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:45 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I disagree with other posters. I don't think your degree ever goes stale. If that were true, degrees wouldn't be required after jobs that require 2+ years of experience. You would only need them for entry level jobs. Not having a job or working in a field for years can cause SOME of your experience to go stale IMO.
Maybe stale isn't the appropriate word, but you are no longer considered for jobs that are "new graduate" and get tossed into a more competitive experienced pool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment