Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 09:36 AM

82 posts, read 63,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
One has to have some certain to get into pharm sales. Forgot the licensing agencies. Just google it. Think it's like 800-1000
What does "some certain" mean? Didn't get that and what exactly is the licensing agents as I googled that and wasn't sure what it is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 11:10 AM

934 posts, read 1,433,616 times
I have a Poli Sci degree, and while I may not be setting the world on fire, it has served me well. I just had to be realistic about its return value. I knew I would be making a lower income right out of school, so I kept my debt to a minimum. After graduation, I moved to Chicago where every entry level required a bachelors degree. Everything. Now I have a nice job in law that pays enough for a nice apartment, decent health insurance, and a deep-dish pizza every weekend. However, hopefully I will be moving on to a graduate program that will help me get a better paying job.

A bachelors degree in general will be useful, but for a liberal arts degree you just need to try and get the most bang for your buck. I also have an associates of computer science. Getting that degree taught me that suffering through something that doesn't interest me is far worse than trying to do the best with a degree that I loved obtaining. I noticed a lot of student around me getting liberal arts degrees fell into them because they assumed they'd be the easiest. Liberal arts can become a refugee for people not passionate about an education, but feel the pressure to get a degree in this competitive job market. However, if you are passionate about the degree and are fairly resourceful, you can make it work, or at least turn it into your dream job in a graduate program.

Old 01-01-2017, 12:37 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,693,024 times
Some of the courses required for a pol sci degree can be very useful in a business setting: statistics, one year of a foreign language and business law are all requirements (or were) when I got my pol sci degree. You aren't just learning about politics. I do agree that it's a fairly useless degree, but that's because most employers don't understand what is being learned in this degree program. I also got a job offer that was only open to people with political science degrees: it was a job doing political research (although I turned it down).

Old 01-01-2017, 12:43 PM

Yeah although it is good for personal enrichment it is largely useless job wise.
Still waiting on Stymie's reply

Old 01-01-2017, 12:43 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,724,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportfan1 View Post
What does "some certain" mean? Didn't get that and what exactly is the licensing agents as I googled that and wasn't sure what it is
Certification.

NAPSRx - The National Association of Pharmaceutical Sales Representatives

Old 01-01-2017, 12:55 PM

Thanks for that, looked at website but how much would it cost? Couldnt find the price wise but will call the #. does the CNPR when completed help you get a rep job much better than just having your BA?

Old 01-01-2017, 02:59 PM

18 posts, read 12,321 times
I have a relative who has decided to major in pol sci now as a college junior. I'm seriously worried for his future.

Old 01-01-2017, 03:40 PM

10,305 posts, read 10,559,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Some of the courses required for a pol sci degree can be very useful in a business setting: statistics, one year of a foreign language and business law are all requirements (or were) when I got my pol sci degree. You aren't just learning about politics. I do agree that it's a fairly useless degree, but that's because most employers don't understand what is being learned in this degree program. I also got a job offer that was only open to people with political science degrees: it was a job doing political research (although I turned it down).
Those stupid employers. They should know better.

Old 01-01-2017, 05:00 PM

403 posts, read 614,802 times
Wouldn't it have been smart to think of this before getting a political science degree and going into debt to do so?

Old 01-01-2017, 05:13 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
The problem lies in how a university education is being treated as vocational school, which it is not and never was. Not every degree will lead to a job, it never did in the whole history of the university system. The exception is traditional university studies such as law, medicine, or some other scientific field.

If someone just wants "to get a job" then they would be better off studying a trade at a community college or tech school.
I would argue that the purpose of college today is more or less "To get a better job than what a Highschool diploma would do on its on". Does that make college a trade school, community college or vo-tech? Maybe it does but I have to think if you are plunking down 40K for 4 years and graduating with debt, there should be some kind of return when you get out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment