Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 10:20 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,818,755 times

Advertisements

People who take jobs like that and don't like them quit and look for another job. They hired you to do that job and odds are you aren't qualified for other jobs if they even have openings. You can look at your company's open job postings and try to apply for something else but you certainly are not at a level where they would really care about finding you a job that fits your skills better. If you aren't working out they probably have 1000s of resumes from other people that will gladly take your job
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 10:25 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,041 times
Are there specific other jobs posted that you feel highly qualified for? Or is this sort of a general request for something with more independence and less focus on detail?

Old 12-13-2016, 10:27 AM

[quote=sealie;46493066]Are there specific other jobs posted that you feel highly qualified for? Or is this sort of a general request for something with more independence and less focus on detail?[/QUOTE]

Those always go over well with employers

Old 12-13-2016, 10:54 AM

82 posts, read 63,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
Are there specific other jobs posted that you feel highly qualified for? Or is this sort of a general request for something with more independence and less focus on detail?
Yes but can you tell your manager that or is best to quit first and reapply?

Old 12-13-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportfan1 View Post
Yes but can you tell your manager that or is best to quit first and reapply?
You can apply for another job without quitting either where you work now or at another company. Just don't tell anyone it is because you want something with more independence and less focus on detail

Old 12-13-2016, 12:07 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,728,060 times
You can ask all you want, but if I was your HR person and you told me that was your reason I'd laugh in your face! Don't tell HR that you want to transfer because of studies you saw on multi-tasking! Every job requires some level of multi-tasking!! Just be honest and tell them that this is not the job you thought it was and would like to transfer to another department if there is an opening.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:48 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,328,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Let's first clear up some misconceptions.

You aren't multi-tasking what you described in that job. You handle a call and follow through with the caller's information and then move to the next one. That's not multi-tasking, you are simply doing many steps to complete a single task. It also has nothing to do with if you find the task dull and boring. Multi-tasking is trying to play the trombone while driving a car.

As for it being dull and boring, when it comes to a person's health it is anything but dull and boring to them. They want and need the information to be recorded accurately. I know as a customer/patient I'm talking to an insurance company, hospital or doctor's office I'm very concerned that information is being captured correctly.

HR doesn't do anything. They don't hire, fire or transfer people, that's what management does. HR is not management, they do what they are directed by management such as the hiring manager. But in your situation don't go complain to them, because you are doing an important job they hired you for.

Prepare yourself for another job or field, and apply for other jobs if you don't like this one.
Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner.

I wanted to wrote what you wrote but figured I would see what others had said first. I kept wondering when the example of multi tasking from the OP would play out. Hope the OP gets it now.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
You can ask all you want, but if I was your HR person and you told me that was your reason I'd laugh in your face! Don't tell HR that you want to transfer because of studies you saw on multi-tasking! Every job requires some level of multi-tasking!! Just be honest and tell them that this is not the job you thought it was and would like to transfer to another department if there is an opening.
Exactly. Multitasking is probably the number 1 skill that employers want for every job opening. The modern workforce is built around people being asked to have a wide skill set and be able to do multiple things.

You know who's really good at multitasking? Computers. That's why people are getting replaced by them.

Old 12-13-2016, 12:50 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,328,356 times
we do not even consider someone for a move until after a minimum of 6 months and your current managers approval. HR is not the department that pulls those strings, they only facilitate the process.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:06 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,199,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportfan1 View Post
The issue is that this isn't my first call center job, giving this perspective. My last job was a call center in sales, 3 years, and I was a top producer. Wasn't horrible multi tasking like this. Now I'm back in a call center and I just took this job until something else comes up. Been applying like crazy still no luck. Stop judging until you know the context behind it.

No agents in this call center have mentioned any growth despite their success after I asked them. Not every department is going to reward their employees. Chub you need to understand the reasons and if this was someone's first call center job. Don't reply if you're looking to point fingers, you can go elsewhere.
You'll have to stick with it until you find something else. Only way to move up within a company is to work your buns off and apply internally for other positions. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment