Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should a job be a right?
Yes 20 16.00%
No 105 84.00%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 08:26 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times

Advertisements

The only thing we should fight for is the right to paaaarrrrrrrtaaaaay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 08:39 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
The OP is confusing a right with a requirement. Everyone already has a right to pursue work and employment. They can freely choose to create their own job or to sell their labor to an external party. What is NOT required is that the external companies have to employ everyone who applies. This would be a really bad requirement.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:34 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,129,383 times
Just read the constitution... no where does it say "a company has to give you a job".

Old 12-16-2016, 01:32 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSeeker21 View Post

The ONLY ways to make money COMPLETELY ON YOUR OWN are the following 2:
1. Recycling in places that pay you for it, but it WILL BE LOW MONEY FOR A LOT OF WORK.
2. Crime (Robbery, burglary, drug dealing, prostitution, other)

Either I have been tricked into believing all the negative people who say life is just hard and everything is doom and gloom, or I am making a valid point!
Wow, ever wonder how the majority of business start? Someone that did not have a job decided that they had an idea to make some money, did what they could to get the idea off the ground and found a way to make money with that idea. I started making money when I was 12. Had to ask people for work or they came to me and asked if I would do things for them. back then it was babysitting, mowing yards (I had multiple customers), washing cars, washing airplanes, cleaning homes. It progressed to washing windows, doing small jobs for people, and that lead to my first job working for a drain cleaning service.

When I became older I started looking for jobs and was able to use my experience from working to land a job in a Muffler shop. The Muffler shop I worked at was owned by a guy that wanted to work on cars and found a small place that he could do some welding. He started the company on his own. After I was out of high school a guy that owned a drain cleaning service, someone that I used to babysit for and had helped many times with his service when I was younger, asked if I wanted a full time job because him and his brother in law were opening another business together. I did that for a year and a half then went to work for someone else that had started their own business.

A kid I knew that used to hang out at one of the area airports started a plane washing business. His was a big operation. He started when he was 16 I think. Went from there to washing big trucks, buses, and other large equipment. He then started another business selling ice cream. He is my age and has since sold all his business operations and writes a blog about small business. He has so many followers that guess what, he makes money doing the blog.

Another friend started selling T shirts on the ski slopes in Utah. Eventually he switched to head wear. He has never worked for anyone in his life. Now his company, named after his last name is one of the biggest players in the industry. Neff Headwear.

The real superstars are those that can turn free sites into a way to make money. Plenty of people are getting paid because they have a lot of people following them online. My kids are into Minecraft big time. Joseph Garret that does the Stampylonghead, (or is it Stampy long nose. I can not remember) videos on you tube is a superstar. He reportedly makes in the 6 figures each month. This is where the real money is in making something online. It is a revolution than young people all over are jumping into.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:20 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I say this in all sincerity, therapy and meds, one to teach you how to socialize/deal with people and the other to focus your thought processes. Or, you can just go through life and hope after 20-30 years you'll learn on your own.

Maybe drive a truck? You can make a good living and be by the best,brightest person you have ever met on a daily basis.... YOURSELF.

I guess you didn't see my other posts. I know I write a lot but I've said in many posts: I was actually pushed through therapy as a child. Actually as I said in that same post you just replied to me: going to my therapist if anything has made me more depressed because she's not able to help me obtain work. I don't know why I bother going. She is nice but it's not yielding me any results.
Also I don't believe in medication esp not mood pills. They put me on Zoloft when I was first diagnosed and I hated it.
I have constantly thought about getting a life coach but they're too expensive. They're not covered on insurance. I am still trying the organizations but my therapist even told me support for a disability is rather limited in my state (I'd have to have schizophrenia or something for the one place I thought about...which now I'm more discouraged after trying them since they had so many programs)
I have one more place to go but that appears to be it. Even then I have to wait for unhelpful DORS (which is what the therapist referred me to) to take my case before the other place can help me. My therapist says everything that is available goes through them.

I don't drive and I probably never will. I wish I could but I always get scared esp now that I'm aware of my spatial issues. I want to. I really want to but even the permit test is hard to pass anymore.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:32 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Quote:
What's the dole? Google just brings up the fruit and vegetable company Dole.
Welfare/social programs.

Old 12-16-2016, 05:28 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
If everyone has access to a college education, they can get jobs that actually help the economy and society, and push the world forward. Or would you rather the world be stagnant because nobody can get an education to get a job to move the world forward?
College is already becoming a glorified High School, like someone said earlier, you are diluting what a Bachelor's Degree is worth, which is rapidly becoming worthless, if everyone has one. So now you want even more people to have Bachelor's Degrees? What about all those people with degrees who are unemployed or underemployed? It doesn't seem like it helped them get jobs!

Old 12-16-2016, 06:51 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
I have often heard that a job is a privilege, not a right. To be sure, government should pursue policies to promote good demand for labor. And a small number people don't want to work. But there should be housing and food for all. Some would add health care to that, but many Americans believe that should be a privilege as well.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:34 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I have often heard that a job is a privilege, not a right. To be sure, government should pursue policies to promote good demand for labor. And a small number people don't want to work. But there should be housing and food for all. Some would add health care to that, but many Americans believe that should be a privilege as well.
Well, those that believe all that <bold> need to move post haste to a country like Russia,China,Venezuela or another country that provides such things.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:27 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Quote:

Either I have been tricked into believing all the negative people who say life is just hard and everything is doom and gloom, or I am making a valid point!
Dude maybe you are hanging out with the wrong people. That may be why you can't get a decent job. Lighten up and try a positive attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment