Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 02:11 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times

Advertisements

I would first check to see if this "pretty massive layoff" complied with the requirements of the WARN Act. If it did not, you may have more compensation coming than you think. I would then check the federal and state regulations for how long the company can withhold any pay or other funds due to you. In most cases it is their responsibility to schedule and pay you for any time involved in signing a severance package and returning any company equipment or material.

Look these things up and make sure the company is in compliance before you do anything. Don't sign any waivers of any time restrictions. Chances are the longer it takes them to complete the process, the better off you'll be financially.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:20 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
As the thread title says, I was laid off from my job (almost a month ago). However, I was not at work the day I was laid off, so I still have my company laptop. I e-mailed HR at the time, and they said if I could come in some time after Thanksgiving and return it, that would be great. However, I have yet to do that, or sign my severance package. In addition, no one has followed up with me. This could be because it was a pretty massive lay off, and the company is going through hard times, so they may have lost track of the laptops.

I do not want to continue hanging on to the laptop, as that is unethical. However, my personal laptop is broken, and my work computer is pretty nice (it's a MacBook). My severance package was $1,538, so I was wondering what people thought about this - would it be fair if I gave up my severance package in exchange for keeping the laptop (I would e-mail HR asking if this was a fair trade obviously)? Or should I not even ask HR about this and just go in to return the laptop?

Edit - also, I've already been locked out of anything work related that could cause a potential conflict of interest
The laptop should have been returned when they asked for it. You need to get that back to them ASAP.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:30 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
You should just return it.

Because in other words you want a greater severance than all the other employees got?

Since you think giving back your $1500 payout in exchange for the laptop is a pretty sweet deal.

That won't fly. They need the laptop back and they'll cut you your check when everything else in the process is done. Besides the confusion, they have to do things a specific way by law in this situation. Legally you'd be required to pay taxes on that laptop (while it's not probable the company would even have a method to record that, like they do, say, insurance or other line items)

I don't know anything about Apple products but there are Macbook Pros out there for even less but maybe yours is jazzed up.

QVC has a one day sale, ironically, today for $1,249.00. On Easy Pay. LOL.

Apple Macbook Pro 13" with Screen Protect, 3-in-1 Tote Bag & Accessories

Procrastinating usually works out negatively with surprises cropping up that we didn't expect. I know someone on short term disability (regular company benefits) for a long time (like nine months) and suddenly got a paycheck for HALF the pay. Because they forgot their union contract only allowed full time pay for a certain amount of weeks. They recuperated QUICKLY LOL.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 12-14-2016 at 05:43 AM..

Old 12-14-2016, 05:37 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Think about it. Why would you even think about NOT returning it ? This is not your property in any way.

These are also the people you want to use as a reference, do you want this sword hanging over your reputation ?

Old 12-14-2016, 05:46 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
You should schedule an appointment immediately to meet with HR to get this resolved.

I don't see any harm in asking to purchase the laptop but I wouldn't offer the entire $1538 amount for it. You can buy a new one for less than that.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:05 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,018,675 times
I'd be surprised if your work laptop cost the company $1500 brand spanking new. I'd be surprised honestly if they cost $1000. The kinds of discounts large companies get for buying in bulk are insane. If you hold onto it and forgo the severance your company is coming out ahead...way ahead.

(source: I deal with IT purchasing daily)

Old 12-14-2016, 06:12 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times
I don't see the conflict here. YOur simply asking if you should request to purchase the laptop from your old company. Heck, nothing wrong with asking.. all they can do is say NO which i suspect they HAVE to deny because of the company information contained on the laptop.. still, no conflict here.. just ask 'em..

Old 12-14-2016, 06:15 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Focus on signing up for unemployment and finding another job. Give them back their laptop. They probably have a corporate lease on it anyway so they may not be able to sell it it you at all without lots of paperwork.

You can probably get a used Mac laptop for a lot less than what they'd charge you.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:17 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,696,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Think about it. Why would you even think about NOT returning it ? This is not your property in any way.

These are also the people you want to use as a reference, do you want this sword hanging over your reputation ?
Yep, do you want a future potential employer to check your references and hear "He didn't return our laptop to us !" ? Not only that, what kind of person do you want to look at in the mirror every day ?

Old 12-14-2016, 06:20 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,541 times
And we've all given you multiple simple answers, all pretty much the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment