Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 06:23 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times

Advertisements

You could ask, but it's an odd request and there are probably intellectual property/data egress reasons you couldn't buy it.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:25 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,302,911 times
They got bigger fish to fry right now. Meanwhile, they know you have the laptop you signed for AND they know where you live!

Return the laptop before the "rent" from a non-employee becomes unmanageable.

But seriously, it's not like they fired you at your desk and you ran out the door saying, "not without this souvenir! " You gave a best-effort attempt to make an unfortunate situation right. Wait till they come to you for it.

Last edited by Corvette Ministries; 12-14-2016 at 06:49 AM..

Old 12-14-2016, 06:35 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,448,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
As the thread title says, I was laid off from my job (almost a month ago). However, I was not at work the day I was laid off, so I still have my company laptop. I e-mailed HR at the time, and they said if I could come in some time after Thanksgiving and return it, that would be great. However, I have yet to do that, or sign my severance package. In addition, no one has followed up with me. This could be because it was a pretty massive lay off, and the company is going through hard times, so they may have lost track of the laptops.

I do not want to continue hanging on to the laptop, as that is unethical. However, my personal laptop is broken, and my work computer is pretty nice (it's a MacBook). My severance package was $1,538, so I was wondering what people thought about this - would it be fair if I gave up my severance package in exchange for keeping the laptop (I would e-mail HR asking if this was a fair trade obviously)? Or should I not even ask HR about this and just go in to return the laptop?

Edit - also, I've already been locked out of anything work related that could cause a potential conflict of interest
Have you uploaded your updated resume to all the job websites?
I'd get that done and then return it.
If the job's a far commute to return the laptop.. ask HR if you can return it COD.

I agree with the other posters.. take the severence package and get a cheaper computer.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:41 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Have you uploaded your updated resume to all the job websites?
I'd get that done and then return it.
If the job's a far commute to return the laptop.. ask HR if you can return it COD.

I agree with the other posters.. take the severence package and get a cheaper computer.
Personally I think they (OP's company) should come to HIM to get it, or send him a FedEx/UPS/whatever label to have it shipped back to the office at their expense.

It kind of adds insult to injury if you've been laid off then have to show your face to HR to return company property, since HR often plays a big part in determining who to lay off.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:20 AM

6,704 posts, read 5,930,570 times
Quote:
As the thread title says, I was laid off from my job (almost a month ago). However, I was not at work the day I was laid off, so I still have my company laptop. I e-mailed HR at the time, and they said if I could come in some time after Thanksgiving and return it, that would be great. However, I have yet to do that, or sign my severance package. In addition, no one has followed up with me. This could be because it was a pretty massive lay off, and the company is going through hard times, so they may have lost track of the laptops.

I do not want to continue hanging on to the laptop, as that is unethical. However, my personal laptop is broken, and my work computer is pretty nice (it's a MacBook). My severance package was $1,538, so I was wondering what people thought about this - would it be fair if I gave up my severance package in exchange for keeping the laptop (I would e-mail HR asking if this was a fair trade obviously)? Or should I not even ask HR about this and just go in to return the laptop?

Edit - also, I've already been locked out of anything work related that could cause a potential conflict of interest
I would return the MacBook as requested, and not ask about keeping the laptop. Your severance is more than enough to buy a decent new or refurbished MacBook with a warranty. They're running $1000 to $1500 depending. Plus, what if your work laptop suddenly dies. You have just paid a ton of money but you can't take it to the I.T. for service/replacement.

Or, you could spend $160 on a Chromebook, good enough for most tasks such as job hunting, and bank the rest toward a rainy day -- and I guess today counts as rainy

I do see your point however -- this company just went through a massive layoff so what the heck do they need all these laptops for? They should sell them to departing employees for a low price.

Anyway good luck with your next steps.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:24 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
If it's anything like my company, the laptop is leased. That means it's on someone's radar somewhere, so eventually they will come looking for it.

Return it

Old 12-14-2016, 08:56 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Turn it in, take the severance, and use the money to buy a new laptop.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:13 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
You should get this work computer back to the HR and get something in writing that confirms that you did return it......Waiting may get you a theft charge.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:15 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:

How ridiculous. Take back the laptop and sign your paperwork, or you won't be getting your severance at all.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:56 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,101,174 times
Holiday season...you can get new Windows laptops for under $400....no, they are not MacBook level performance but they are new and should offer decent specs...or you can do the already mentioned Chromebook for even cheaper...of course we are all assuming you need the money...if its not a big deal (e.g. really young person still living with parents), then it can't hurt to ask
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment