Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 10:39 AM

195 posts, read 161,258 times

Advertisements

Mod cut; Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

Anyway, I really don't believe women are willing to work truly dirty/dangerous jobs like men.

Also, if women really do get paid less than men, then why hire men at all?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-16-2016 at 02:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 02:29 PM

10,704 posts, read 5,651,721 times
I always find these discussions of gender wage amusing. The claim is that there is NO difference between a man and a woman who are doing the same job, other than their pay. Well, guess what? If their truly was NO difference, we would see businesses firing all of their male employees, replacing them all with women, and experiencing a 23% reduction in labor cost, with absolutely NO difference in in how the business runs. The fact that that ISN'T happening is prima facie evidence that the wage gap, ceteris paribus, DOESN'T exist.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:42 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
at a previous job, i got paid more than some women, not because i worked more or anything, i told them at the interview, i wouldn't work for less than $X, so they offered me a little more than what I asked for. the others took the offered salary, by same reason, i got paid more than some men as well. hell, i got paid as much as the manager because they took a pay cut the year prior

is this to help with a pay gap or having leverage to select your jobs and not take whatever is out there

Old 12-15-2016, 06:55 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratrock View Post

Archived Brainlabs blog post of them admitting pay discrimination:
I am especially interested in women's thoughts on this.

A "pay gap tax"? Every woman gets a raise just for being a woman? I know this is in England but still does it not show that discrimination is swept under the rug when it's in favor of women??
I looked up an article about the idea of the pay gap tax in England. It has been an idea that has been floated for companies who have a pay gap between the genders.

I think this is an excellent solution. There IS gender discrimination in pay. When one asks about it, companies have reasons ready to go for each employee, but the fact remains that it's across the board: employees are paid less when they are women, generally. That is a pay gap.

The article said that Marketing agency Brainlabs analyzed pay across its 40 or so staff and found a difference of 8.6% between average men’s and women’s salaries. So it raised women’s salaries by an average of 8.6%.
BUT the Managers consulted with all the staff first and gave them three options: do nothing; raise women’s salaries by an average 8.6%; or, give male employees a pay cut. They took a vote of the staff, and the consensus was to raise women’s pay. No one voted to cut men's pay.

This seems fair, when you look at the totality of pay gaps. So the employees weren't given a raise because they were women. They were given a raise because they were paid less because they were women. There is a difference.

Complaining about correcting a wrong because it's based on gender, is really complaining about the wrong act, to begin with, since THAT was based on gender.

They're not getting paid more than men. They are now getting paid the same as men.

It's like saying "Freeing black people from slavery is discrimination, because they're given freedom because of their race." But of course, the slaves were freed because they were enslaved; they were enslaved because they were black, so of COURSE the freed slaves were black. It was correcting a wrong.

This issue has existed forever. I have heard of few men who believe it's true. They don't want to believe it. This has had a bad effect on women's financial condition throughout their lives. It affects even their Social Security. They go to the grave on a fraction of the money men get paid, for doing equal work for decades.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I looked up an article about the idea of the pay gap tax in England. It has been an idea that has been floated for companies who have a pay gap between the genders.

I think this is an excellent solution. There IS gender discrimination in pay. When one asks about it, companies have reasons ready to go for each employee, but the fact remains that it's across the board: employees are paid less when they are women, generally. That is a pay gap.

The article said that Marketing agency Brainlabs analyzed pay across its 40 or so staff and found a difference of 8.6% between average men’s and women’s salaries. So it raised women’s salaries by an average of 8.6%.
BUT the Managers consulted with all the staff first and gave them three options: do nothing; raise women’s salaries by an average 8.6%; or, give male employees a pay cut. They took a vote of the staff, and the consensus was to raise women’s pay. No one voted to cut men's pay.

This seems fair, when you look at the totality of pay gaps. So the employees weren't given a raise because they were women. They were given a raise because they were paid less because they were women. There is a difference.

Complaining about correcting a wrong because it's based on gender, is really complaining about the wrong act, to begin with, since THAT was based on gender.

They're not getting paid more than men. They are now getting paid the same as men.

It's like saying "Freeing black people from slavery is discrimination, because they're given freedom because of their race." But of course, the slaves were freed because they were enslaved; they were enslaved because they were black, so of COURSE the freed slaves were black. It was correcting a wrong.

This issue has existed forever. I have heard of few men who believe it's true. They don't want to believe it. This has had a bad effect on women's financial condition throughout their lives. It affects even their Social Security. They go to the grave on a fraction of the money men get paid, for doing equal work for decades.
So then why don't companies just hire women then? Wouldn't it be cheaper?

Old 12-15-2016, 09:03 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Your co workers may have more tenure...or degrees..or they simply perform better. Who knows. But it could be that your not meeting the guidelines for a raise...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Could those also be some of the reasons why women get paid less?

Old 12-16-2016, 04:25 AM

Yeah, women will never admit it but they don't care how much of an unfair advantage they have. Even if in the above scenario they gave women an increase in pay AND cut what men made you wouldn't see them complaining. If anything, considering men are certainly far better at innovating, working hard, working longer hours, very rarely take the kinds of jobs/careers that are dangerous that women would never do etc. etc. than women women are lucky they get paid as much as they do.

Heck, we are now letting 18 year old girls join infantry in the military and lowing standards to help women. If women are so "strong and independant" why do they need any kind of help in the first place? It's utterly absurd.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-16-2016 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: Addressed via DM.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:22 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,192,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratrock View Post
Great video on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it0EYBBl5LI&t=4s

Whether women admit it or not the fact is men are, on average, willing to work more hours, work harder and less likely to have other things come up.

Funny thing is women won't complain that men inherently are FAR more likely to be injured/killed on the job as well as work jobs most women never would. Never even consider no matter how high the pay is the kinds of dirty jobs such as working in sewers, working as miners, crab fishers, roofers, plumbers etc. etc.

Women simply will refuse to work very dangerous/dirty jobs. So I really don't feel to terrible for women.
The Freakonomics podcast, a highly regarded source of info IMO, did a similar investigation on it, and had several women contributors on the show essentially coming to the same conclusion. The conclusion was that a pay gap between genders, for the most part, exists due to the type of jobs that men are willing to do that women are not. These jobs typically include responsibilities like travelling, being away from home for long periods of time, longer hours, etc. The explanation given was that women (particularly with families) tend not to want to take on those types of roles, as they tend to want to spend more of the time catering to their family's needs.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:55 PM

652 posts, read 340,223 times
Some women on this thread need to stop crying about male domination and just be professional and do your job. If your any good, you will get noticed. If all you do is complain, there's the door. Buh bye

Old 12-16-2016, 03:10 PM

652 posts, read 340,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
Go start your own business, you can hire and promote all the people you feel merit it. However based on your victimized attitude I doubt you will be in business long.
She could never run her own business. Who would she blame for her problems?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment