Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 02:36 PM

1,281 posts, read 769,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
They are in the minority then. Statistics are only 27% of temp to hire turn permanent and 18% overall.
You only become permanent if you show you can do the job. Not only is it job performance it's being on time, how you work with others and how often you miss days during 6 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 02:57 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,341,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
You only become permanent if you show you can do the job. Not only is it job performance it's being on time, how you work with others and how often you miss days during 6 months.
That's a good point. And with a 27% chance of getting a full time offer, you're much better off than applying to jobs directly. It's good to hear that the statistics are so great.

Old 12-18-2016, 03:33 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,328,538 times
Quote:
No you don't get fired if you show you can do the job. Most people do the job and more and still do not get hired. A lot of companies don't care they will not hire no matter what. You wise up and quit or get burned out or sick and they move on to the next sucker. That is temp. It is scooping up people that are desperate and exploiting them for as long as you can.

Old 12-18-2016, 03:34 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,328,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
That's a good point. And with a 27% chance of getting a full time offer, you're much better off than applying to jobs directly. It's good to hear that the statistics are so great.
I rather waste an afternoon interviewing than waste 6 months or more working for a crap company for below market rates that is carrot and sticking me that they may hire if you only work hard enough.

Old 12-18-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Right because most employers prefer to receiver referrals from agencies or employees not resumes from the outside.

Old 12-18-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
No you don't get fired if you show you can do the job. Most people do the job and more and still do not get hired. A lot of companies don't care they will not hire no matter what. You wise up and quit or get burned out or sick and they move on to the next sucker. That is temp. It is scooping up people that are desperate and exploiting them for as long as you can.
Well the only way that can happen is if someone allows it. No way in hell would I just continue to work for a temp agency for more than six months.

Old 12-18-2016, 03:56 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,341,908 times
Quote:
I rather waste an afternoon interviewing than waste 6 months or more working for a crap company for below market rates that is carrot and sticking me that they may hire if you only work hard enough.
I suppose it varies from person to person. The type of experience you're going to have with employers directly relates to the quality of candidate that you are. If you're stuck with a "crap company" working "below market", that's a true indicator that you simply don't bring any value and need to raise your game.

When I had just completed my undergraduate degree, I was offered a compelling temp-to-hire role with Pepsi through a company called Aerotek. I had no benefits and it was a junior role that allowed me to grow. The rate was $45/hr (remember, no benefits). Six months later, Pepsi offered me a full time position with a salary of $90,000 (with full benefits). It was great as I had an opportunity to work with one of the best consumer food companies of the world (and they really do take care of their good employees). I stayed there for a few years before deciding to return to school. It was a great experience.

Old 12-18-2016, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I suppose it varies from person to person. The type of experience you're going to have with employers directly relates to the quality of candidate that you are. If you're stuck with a "crap company" working "below market", that's a true indicator that you simply don't bring any value and need to raise your game.

When I had just completed my undergraduate degree, I was offered a compelling temp-to-hire role with Pepsi through a company called Aerotek. I had no benefits and it was a junior role that allowed me to grow. The rate was $45/hr (remember, no benefits). Six months later, Pepsi offered me a full time position with a salary of $90,000 (with full benefits). It was great as I had an opportunity to work with one of the best consumer food companies of the world (and they really do take care of their good employees). I stayed there for a few years before deciding to return to school. It was a great experience.
Thank you, how can you be stuck if you have skills and do well on job interviews? You are only stuck if you allow yourself to be stuck. Now it's a girl at my job now who is not making what the position pays even though she was hired permanently because she came through the agency. Now she can either continue to work for a low pay knowing she has a kid to take care of or make moves to find something better like another girl did 2 months ago.

Old 12-18-2016, 04:02 PM

7,600 posts, read 4,501,883 times
Quote:
So what should people do if they don't find a job in 6 months and their unemployment runs out?
I don't understand. People should try to find a job irrespective of unemployment benefits, because jobs pay way more than unemployment does, you learn skills working, network with people working and working makes you more marketable.

I'm not against people working temp jobs at all. I gave up being a Corporate Controller to work short term consulting roles and have been constantly working, with different projects, for a couple of years now....for about the same amount of money and fewer hours. I've learned my trade and there's always companies doing things. Companies expand, they need consultants. Companies wind down, they need consultants.

That doesn't stop headhunters from being basically the same as pimps. Their connection, they make sure I get paid and they always get their cut. It's pretty much the same business model...though I must confess I may be completely misunderstanding the prostitution industry.

Old 12-18-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
I don't understand. People should try to find a job irrespective of unemployment benefits, because jobs pay way more than unemployment does, you learn skills working, network with people working and working makes you more marketable.

I'm not against people working temp jobs at all. I gave up being a Corporate Controller to work short term consulting roles and have been constantly working, with different projects, for a couple of years now....for about the same amount of money and fewer hours. I've learned my trade and there's always companies doing things. Companies expand, they need consultants. Companies wind down, they need consultants.

That doesn't stop headhunters from being basically the same as pimps. Their connection, they make sure I get paid and they always get their cut. It's pretty much the same business model...though I must confess I may be completely misunderstanding the prostitution industry.
But finding a job most times is all about timing and there may not be a lot of hiring going on during the last two months of your UC. So if it runs out then you may need to go to a temp agency as a last option so you can get some kind of cash flow. Temp agencies should always be a last option when looking for a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment