Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 11:42 AM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times

Advertisements

Professions that require advanced thinking - science/math/engineering/arts if you're lucky or professions that require smarts and dexterity in labor - electrician, plumber, HVAC, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 07:45 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Machine Learning. They can't find enough people for those jobs.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:39 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,114,589 times
Some great answers!

Old 12-22-2016, 09:52 AM

206 posts, read 154,304 times
If you want to be part of the work force that designs the automation systems, the fields of physics, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, computer engineering, computer science, are safe bets. Personally if I could go back to college I would do computer engineering with a minor in mechanical. That way you get the necessary electrical engineering and computer skills to build a robot. And the basic mechanical engineering topics like thermodynamics, heat transfer, kinematics, and what not to make sure it survives in the physical world.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:00 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,345,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orionstars View Post
If you want to be part of the work force that designs the automation systems, the fields of physics, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, computer engineering, computer science, are safe bets. Personally if I could go back to college I would do computer engineering with a minor in mechanical. That way you get the necessary electrical engineering and computer skills to build a robot. And the basic mechanical engineering topics like thermodynamics, heat transfer, kinematics, and what not to make sure it survives in the physical world.
Its much easier said than done
All of those degrees have intense classes.
They are very math heavy and science classes involved

If you have a passion and patience for handling the class/workload then go for it.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:09 AM

206 posts, read 154,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
Its much easier said than done
All of those degrees have intense classes.
They are very math heavy and science classes involved

If you have a passion and patience for handling the class/workload then go for it.
I got a degree in mechanical engineering. The hardest classes for me at least were vector calculus, differential equations, and partial differential equations. Those classes are no joke. But the major course work rarely used advanced math, maybe to explain a theory or a derivation. The grunt work of engineering for the most part consist of algebra, trigonometry, and very simple integration and derivation. Nothing insane like in the math classes.

For example to design the control system for say, the drive train of a robot, one simply defines the differential equation of motion of the system. No need to actually solve the thing. Even then there are mathematical tools that simplify that job. The rest is programming your control algorithm on a microcontroller, which is a programming problem. Design of the algorithm uses control theory stuff but that's also just algebra with very basic calculus.

Old 12-23-2016, 01:32 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,454,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Entrepreneur, investor, innovator, investment banking. These are automation immune.

Hairstylist, message therapists, athletic trainers, are the easier jobs that are immune to automation.
To some extent investment banking is becoming automated. A number of firms use automated trades.

Old 12-23-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Repair in all of its facets... electrical, plumbing, power.. (diesel engines, generators).
Interestingly their working on automating this. It will take a few decades thou. I imagine we will have drones snaking wires thru walls and pulling cable by 2030, There will still be electricians just less of them.

Old 12-23-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
was about to say healthcare. i'm a therapist myself, but i've seen nurses be qualified for a wider variety of jobs (desk/clerical to direct bedside to, of course, management) at relatively similar payrates compared to us in therapy.
Health care costs to much there is a huge incentive to automate. I imagine those jobs won't be safe in the near future. My guess would be Pharmacists and X ray techs will be the first to go. I would say those in direct contact with patients will be safe for a while but every where else watch out.

Old 12-23-2016, 02:05 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
Health care costs to much there is a huge incentive to automate. I imagine those jobs won't be safe in the near future. My guess would be Pharmacists and X ray techs will be the first to go. I would say those in direct contact with patients will be safe for a while but every where else watch out.
lab is the most automated so far in hospitals, can process 100-1000s of sample per hour with a handful of people. but it doesn't matter because even then, there's a shortage of that handful of people

waiting for the automated phlebotomy machine to be wide spread, think the main hiccup is people aren't willing to stick their arm into it without a person guiding the needle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment