Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 05:33 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times

Advertisements

Stop and think, that the company likes you and does not want to lose you. Also consider this is the only opening that they have coming up, that they can offer you, and they are doing so to keep you with the company. There may be other openings in the near future, that you can transfer to when the opportunity offers it to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 07:49 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
I wouldn't take it if you're going to have that feeling and be resentful.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:14 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,714 times
Sounds to me like you have a referral and not an offer, if you haven't even talked to the hiring manager yet. I'd never accept a job without talking to the person I'd be working for.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:26 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie6 View Post
I've been on a contractual project job (temp) , 6-8 months, for a new position, that is NOT going to be picked up.

While I have been testing the waters and applying, my current boss gave me a great recommendation to another department having an issue filling a position.

I was FLOORED honored and excited that I was thought of and given such a great recommendation especially only being there only 5-6 months.

Now I just got the job description & it's seriously something a well taught monkey could accomplish....Granted I am not a high level executive , but do have some very relevant skills and experience.

This job is basically data entry ... Yes, they disguise it with special terms and duties but it comes down to typing in a form... I don't want to come off ungrateful or ruin a chance with a company I love, but I can't shake the feeling of being somewhat undervalued.

I in return sent a copy of resume and some of my freelance projects - with a email stating that I am excited to get more active in the company and department ...

Am I being petty or short sided ? I have a much more ''advanced' position being offered at another cmpany , but I happen to really love and believe in the company I am in .

Just can't shake this feeling of being bascially insulted by the elementary type of position.
I can understand disappointment that you weren't offered what you might consider a "high" level position.

But the reality is, you were a "temp" To be offered any permanent position should be a compliment, not an insult imo.

To me that is not the same as being a fulltime employee who has been offered a demotion. but, that is what is coming across in your post.

Not knowing what your temp position consisted of, perhaps you have a right to be insulted, only you know for sure.

That being said, you should give consideration to any position when you are new to your field.

You are the only one that can really decide what is your best move.....But there has been some very wise advice shared in this thread. Good luck to you.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:08 AM

6,823 posts, read 10,516,715 times
As others have said - take the job but keep looking for something you like more - you owe the company no loyalty.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:38 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Have you actually been offered the position with the current company? Thread title says that but the post says you just received the job description and doesn't mention you've interviewed for it or that it's actually been offered yet.

If you still have a process to go to, I would go into with an open mind and see what they say about what your day to day duties would be and where you/the position may be able to grow in the future.

Personally, I tend to think that finding a company that you really love is harder than finding a job, and as long as there were some reasonable assurances that this could lead to bigger and better things, I'd stick with it for now and see how it goes.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:34 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,816,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Negative. I'm a button pushing monkey now myself, and it's a far cry from the fun position I had a few months ago. The only reason I'm still working at this job is because my boss didn't want to lay me off and have to pay me unemployment. He won the battle; I'm quitting next week. I suggest you politely refuse the position and immediately look elsewhere.
Not relative to the OP's situation, though - she's a temp, so no unemployment would need to be paid.

OP: If you're just starting out in your career, I'd take the other job if it's closer to what you actually want to be doing. You'll want to retain your skill set, and not have your resume get muddled down with a job title that's essentially data entry.

That said, if there's not much difference in pay, and you really love the company you're at, and the only job that's available is the one your boss recommended you for, then it may not be a bad idea to stay and apply as an internal applicant once a job you'd prefer opens up. It sounds like a compliment that your boss is trying to get you a job with the company.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:31 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
You'll need to interview. Bring a list of questions to determine the exact role/job duties.

You might be pleasantly surprised to find out that the job description was generic and doesn't describe the actual duties. Generic job descriptions are very common.

Go through with the interview process and then decide what's best for you.

Surely the new manager will interview you to ensure a good fit. That's where you ask the questions. Don't start naysaying to others on your team or to your manager until you have a chance to discuss the job duties with the hiring manager.

Keep in mind they might be interviewing several people and they might not choose you in the end, even though you have been recommended.

Good luck.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:50 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,772,755 times
Take the advanced position. People change jobs all the time. It is possible that your boss and people you like working with will no longer be there. I have experienced this. Always go for your own growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment