Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 08:23 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,918,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I once asked my boss for a raise and he gave me a pair of high heeled shoes. I got raised an inch or so.
1. Things that happened
2. This

Pick one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 09:28 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,298,228 times
Very rarely have I seen this work for full time employees and surprisingly the only couple of times I have seen it work is for contractors. When you are full time and you don't get the raise or compensation that you deserve, there is no way bringing this fact to your boss will change anything. There is just too much bureaucracy and other issues with title, budget, grade, appraisals etc etc in corporate environment.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:42 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,578 posts, read 81,186,228 times
When my boss took a voluntary demotion after an incident, I applied for and got the job (and became her boss). After about a year I was discussing my performance review with my director, and I was doing far more than the previous person or those before her, especially in the technical aspects, and consulting to help people in other departments. It was suggested that I complete a job evaluation document for HR, which I did. HR then took the list of what I did and the time spent on each, did a comparison to what other companies in the area are paying for that, and I ended up with a new title, and 14% raise.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:48 AM

444 posts, read 387,612 times
I got lucky and I know that. But my company also knows that for a good three years they had an amazing advantage, they still do.

I went into my boss's office and told him that I needed a raise. It wasn't so much about my worth as it was I wasn't able to survive on what I was making. I told him what I felt I should be making and he said that the higher ups wouldn't go for that. I didn't think they would either but you gotta aim big. I said if I don't get something I will have to go. I knew they didn't want to lose me. Sometimes you take a risk. It paid off.

I got my raise.

Old 12-28-2016, 01:33 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
Back in the day when I was an employee, asking for raises ... including supporting documentation that I was bringing the company income to show my productivity on the bottom line above and beyond what others paid more than I were doing ...

yielded a minimal, if any response most of the time.

the "best way" that I got advancements in salary or wages was to move on to those better offers that seemed to be readily available. Sometimes the moves were "good" when all factors were taken into account, sometimes ... they weren't.

At least I was acting in my own best interests as I learned and advanced. Some employers regarded folk in my jobs as disposable and easily replaceable. Some of them became my next job offer in sequence when they realized what I had brought to the table. And some of them didn't care ... or found somebody who did a better job or fit in better than me. So be it.

Do what is in your best interests as you see it when you need to, especially if you can't survive on what you're being paid.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:26 PM

694 posts, read 1,203,450 times
I never asked for a raise, but the first year I started working at my new company, I was busting my behind and at year-end, COO asked me for a special project, I did it, and he called me into his office to thank me profusely, told me how my direct boss was happy with me, how he was happy, how the CEO was happy, so I looked at him with no emotion, he asked me if anything is wrong and I said "I just hope that I am as impressed with the bonus as you are impressed with my performance", he was stunned for a second, then said "Why, are you worried about the bonus?", I said "No, not worried, just pleasantly anxious". I got more than I expected and I feel that if it weren't for this conversation, I would have gotten only half as much. It took guts to say it out loud, but I knew that I had an upper hand, we were going through M&A, my boss did not know what he was doing, so I was the point person. Remember, in any negotiation, the one who is willing to walk away is the one who wins.

Old 12-28-2016, 04:10 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,204 times
I asked for a raise at my last job. Boss said he was planning on a 3% raise. I said not enough. He said he'd go as high as 5%, but any more than that would put him in the red. So I left, and got another job which came with a 14% raise. I recently heard my former company is down to 3 people, and about to fold. Oh well.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:19 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Yes I tried.

The kicker was, I did all the reports from assets to deficits, and I "knew" exactly how much was being shelled out to certain employees.
Took 8 years to garner a package deal that allowed for more pleasant living circumstances.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:33 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,189,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
I did once .. I waited till I was at a critical point in a project (which was making the company a lot of money - and I was the main reason why that was) and there was no one else who could take over quickly .. walked into my boss's office and asked for a $10k raise. I got it. Floored me. Obviously I had undervalued myself. I was probably worth more but I honestly just did that to find out if that was the way the 'system' worked .. and apparently it does in the States. Timing, self-confidence and a side order of chutzpah seem to be key (along with being ready to take the consequences if the attempt fails). The next job I took I aimed a lot higher off the bat.
First, let me say I believe in paying people what they are worth, but I had a consultant pull this on me in the middle of a project. I felt I was being extorted. I gave him what he wanted and when the project was over got rid of him. A few years later, the job market was bad and he came back looking for a job. I didn't have one for him.

You pull these stunts at your own peril. OP- I doubt you'll get $30K, so if that's what you want, I'l plan on moving.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:42 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
I've never been underpaid. I find a new job that pays better.

I suggest you start putting out feelers, if you get an offer.. show your boss and see if they match it.

I'd be ready to change jobs. Why not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment