Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 08:42 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Keep in mind that if you were on the ground floor of a startup, many people often have some an emotional investment in making sure the company succeeds.
Right. That's why it's not really an option for a worker who just wants to hit the clock after 8 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 08:47 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,084 times
Yep, the 80+ hr weeks were for a startup. Honestly I wasn't even working the most out of the people there! It was crazy but exciting and a fun place to work.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:08 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Is there a way? Sure, you can keep walking out the door hours earlier every day than everyone else does. But pretty soon, you'll be told to walk out the door for the last time.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:25 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,074,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Is there a way? Sure, you can keep walking out the door hours earlier every day than everyone else does. But pretty soon, you'll be told to walk out the door for the last time.
This.

I think you need to find something that better suits what you want. This job just isn't it

Old 12-29-2016, 10:28 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
This.

I think you need to find something that better suits what you want. This job just isn't it
Agreed. You can do it, but be prepared for the consequences.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:29 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
Heres a general question I have
Lets say you work for a company ( start up , video game company) where long hours are the norm. We are talking 60 hour work weeks, weekend work , on call 24/7 you know your typical sweat shop conditions

Can you somehow refuse and instead just put in your typical 40 hours then go home or is it better to just quit altogether?
I mean most of us have family and friends
Yes, but in my experience you have to do it from day one before any precedent has been established. Anyone who gets sucked into the 60 hour game will be viewed as "underperforming" if they slack off to 40 hours, whereas someone who starts at a max of 40 hours will generally just not get promoted or something, but is unlikely to ever get fired for that reason. They could get fired for some make-believe reason, but they probably won't.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:54 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
Heres a general question I have
Lets say you work for a company ( start up , video game company) where long hours are the norm. We are talking 60 hour work weeks, weekend work , on call 24/7 you know your typical sweat shop conditions

Can you somehow refuse and instead just put in your typical 40 hours then go home or is it better to just quit altogether?
I mean most of us have family and friends
If told that at the interview (In my present condition) I'd say "Thanks but no thanks"

They should have said such upfront. If they come up later and say "hey we need you to work 60 instead" then that's where the conversation will get tricky.

You may need to be prepared to quit and seek another job.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:16 PM

524 posts, read 843,260 times
What about the fair labor and standards act that says even salaried employees should not work over 40 hours a week unless they are proved to be exempt? An exempt employee is part of the management or administrative team.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:42 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantress View Post
What about the fair labor and standards act that says even salaried employees should not work over 40 hours a week unless they are proved to be exempt? An exempt employee is part of the management or administrative team.
Most fall under exempt somehow. I'm not really sure how that works but I wouldn't say I fell under either category yet was listed as exempt.

Old 12-29-2016, 01:02 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantress View Post
That is only one of several possible exempt categories. IT peiple usually get qualified as exempt under a different exemption.
Exempt professional job duties.

The job duties of the traditional "learned professions" are exempt. These include lawyers, doctors, dentists, teachers, architects, clergy. Also included are registered nurses (but not LPNs), accountants (but not bookkeepers), engineers (who have engineering degrees or the equivalent and perform work of the sort usually performed by licensed professional engineers), actuaries, scientists (but not technicians), pharmacists, and other employees who perform work requiring "advanced knowledge" similar to that historically associated with the traditional learned professions.
There are also exemptions for admin assistants and creative professionals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment