Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you in favor of tenure?
Yes I am 20 40.00%
No I'm not 23 46.00%
I'm undecided 7 14.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 09:34 AM

336 posts, read 378,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
For professors: yes, tenure is useful and protects freedom of speech in academia. That said, there still needs to be a way to fire bad profs.

For most other professions: enforced no-termination is a bad thing that encourages laziness and incompetence. There's nothing worse than a terrible employee who can't be fired.
Tenure doesn't protect someone from being fired. It just protects someone from being fired without just cause. With respect to teachers, tenure prevents school systems from replacing experienced (=more costly) teachers with new (=cheaper) teachers fresh out of college, just to save money. In most school systems, a high salary is not considered just cause for terminating a tenured teacher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 09:41 AM

432 posts, read 343,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
For professors: yes, tenure is useful and protects freedom of speech in academia. That said, there still needs to be a way to fire bad profs.

For most other professions: enforced no-termination is a bad thing that encourages laziness and incompetence. There's nothing worse than a terrible employee who can't be fired.
I'll give you a particular case. In NYC I went to a high school that had this teacher there with a mean disposition and a crazy look on his face. I figure he had to be tenured.

Never had him for a teacher, but what made him personal is he was a fellow neighbor of mine in an apartment building I lived in (he lived with his mother who didn't seem to be a prize either, personality-wise).

An example as to how rough he can be, he was walking up the walkway to get to the hallway of my building. A fellow neighbor was just leaning against the building leaving him enough room to walk around. Instead the teacher pushed into him so the neighbor pushed back sending him across the fence that surrounded some grass.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:59 AM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by education explorer View Post
You can call it another name, but the idea's the same. For example, in unions such as electrical e.g., if your father was an electrician, then you get to be an electrician and if you father wasn't, then you don't get to be an electrician or at least it used to be that way. I regard that as a form of tenure.
That's called nepotism.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:10 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern Reaganomics View Post
But it does make sense for some jobs... like a university professor.
why?

Old 12-31-2016, 11:12 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,453,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by education explorer View Post
I'm probably going to be the most hated person around here, but I have to say it. I find no rational reason for tenure.

I believe (much like Napolean) that holding a job has to be on merit and job skills, not based on who your mom and dad was, not on tenure nor belonging to a union. Basically the best man or woman for the job.

I'm taking a poll on this. I can guess how the voting will go, but an actual poll is much better. You're free to give your opinion, I just gave mine.

Note to mod: please leave this thread in this forum as I have other occupations in mind besides teachers and professors. Thank you.
The sooner the better.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:23 AM

36 posts, read 26,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
why?
The purpose of tenure is to allow for one to do their job as they see fit without being dictated by their employer. Tenure plays a large role in higher education as it allows for professors to have the freedom to perform research and teach their work without having to worry about losing their job. It is this variation and freedom that leads to students taking diverse views and methods as they perform research. The result is faster innovation.

This is referred to as Academic Freedom: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_freedom

Old 12-31-2016, 11:25 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Guess what, you arent going to change how the world works so get used to it. Learn to play the game because whining and trying to change the rules doesnt make you any more competitive. Even under new rules, whiners will still be at the bottom

Old 12-31-2016, 12:38 PM

714 posts, read 721,977 times
I guess the OP thinks that working on constant fear of losing your job due to a boss' whims or company downsizing is somehow motivating.

Old 12-31-2016, 01:45 PM

141 posts, read 171,753 times
I don't think we should get rid of tenure, but the privilege shouldn't be abused. Schools need to be documenting whether or not teachers are following a set of standards. Then, there is a paper trail of what's really going on.

Old 12-31-2016, 02:35 PM

36 posts, read 26,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildridge View Post
I don't think we should get rid of tenure, but the privilege shouldn't be abused. Schools need to be documenting whether or not teachers are following a set of standards. Then, there is a paper trail of what's really going on.
This is the problem. The entire purpose of tenure is to make sure that educators can't be forced how to educate. Which works well in higher education. But we want standards for elementary and high school. So tenure doesn't make sense there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment