Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 02:38 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times

Advertisements

I wonder what excuse the OP is going to make when his Grandmother actually dies !
Because eventually it will happen .
Then what ?

Old 01-02-2017, 05:32 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,681 times
Go to nearest Salvation Army. They will find you shelter; shelter will help find you a job. It won't be pleasant, it won't be easy. But in the end, you will be on your own.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:31 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSeeker21 View Post
Please list these options.
Goodwill. I suggested it above and you did not reply to that post, yet replied to all the others to reject what they said. Since you didn't reply to my suggestion about applying for work at Goodwill, did you look up where you can go to apply at Goodwill? They are likely nearby you since they are in many neighborhoods.

When do you plan to contact Goodwill about getting a job?

Old 01-02-2017, 01:34 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Go to nearest Salvation Army. They will find you shelter; shelter will help find you a job. It won't be pleasant, it won't be easy. But in the end, you will be on your own.

This is a FANTASTIC suggestion!!

Old 01-02-2017, 01:36 PM

269 posts, read 246,815 times
Get a job and then rent a room somewhere near your house.

You are an adult now and if your life isn't going the direction you want it to go then YOU need to do something about it. The time of blaming anyone but yourself has now passed. This is all on YOU.

Old 01-02-2017, 01:49 PM

497 posts, read 484,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSeeker21 View Post
Yes I have, and I actually started the application process, ready to go in. But, I read all of these HORRIBLE things about it, like I will be treated HORRIBLY just because I'm white, and that the STAFF treats EVEYRONE bad. And you have to LIVE THERE for a minimum of 8 months, and have more roommates than you'd probably need to live in new York City without making $150,000+ a year. Sounds bad.
I had a friend that was in Job Corps, he loved it. It's all about attitude and you're not even giving it a chance.

P.S. 8 months is a cakewalk, you'll learn that time gets shorter as you get older. A year in my life now flies by compared to when I was 21.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:51 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
rent a small one bedroom apt, close to a college be nice, get a job, anyway, you dont have to like the job, and start life

This won't work. He needs a good credit record to rent, at least in areas around a university, which command high rent. Also, needs rental history, or a co-signer. Most of those college kids have parents who co-sign and pay deposits, etc. Its best to find a housemate situation in a private home, which usually is found by word-of-mouth.

Old 01-02-2017, 03:43 PM

242 posts, read 158,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
So you're 21, have you not had a job since graduating high school?? Go get a job at Walmart or a fast food place. They will hire anyone! Or go put in applications at every store in the mall. Then go and find a room to rent from someone. ALSO, once you get a job enroll in community college. Take one or two classes towards a certificate program. Usually takes a year or two. Once you complete that you can get a better job and then get your own apartment.

I put myself through community college while working full time as a retail associate for a store in the mall when I was 18. NO ONE paid for it but me. I got my own apartment at 20. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and do something about it. Many people HAVE given you suggestions. It's up to you to listen! Stop crying poor me!
The mall is over 6 miles away from that house, but I have made and been adding to a list of places in walking or biking distance, all places are 0.5 to 4 miles away. I have gotten 25 places so far, someone said I should work at Goodwill, that they would hire me, there is one within 4.18 miles, is that a realistic bicycle distance? Not a motor vehicle, a bicycle that you pedal with your legs. The closest place is a McDonald's, 0.5 miles away, and the farthest is the Goodwill Retail Store, 4.18 miles away. There are many places 2-3 miles away. My mom told me she kept my bicycle so I will be able to go farther than 1.5-2 miles away, which is good because many places are farther than that. I walk 1.5 miles in 25 minutes. So I could walk 3 miles in 50 minutes at the same walking speed. To me, that is fine, I shouldn't have to walk an hour to work for the rest of my life. I timed it before and found that biking is 3 times faster than walking, so an hour is cut down 20 minutes, not bad to me. Some people drive hours to work daily. I read this guy walked 20 miles or so to AND from work EVERY DAY, I think people donated him money for a car.................

Now if I am able to get driven every day the mall could become an option, I'm not expecting that though, but it could be a possibility.

And I have NEVER had a job in my entire life. I was just feeling bad last night about being idle for years of my life, because other people have lived every day of their life, not everyone of course, but most people I think have been able to live every day of their life, no pause. I am a late bloomer (whether I had the ability to do something or not, I don't even know if my situation is my fault or not, maybe it is partially but not fully) in every aspect of life, and I am VERY insecure of that, even if other people say it does not matter, it still bothers ME, and I will still feel judged.

Here's some insight I should provide, if I know I will have it better one week from now, I will still crash and burn (severe torture inside) before then, I bounce between depression and positivity too much. I should be confident? I will, for maybe 10-30 minutes? Then I'll spend 10-30 minutes? Being depressed again. Last night I felt it STRONG! Like over the top, if I had a gun I may have really blew my brains out.

Right now I am sitting using public wifi, because the billpayer at home couldn't afford the Internet bill, he tries to get away with paying PART of the bill, apparently they allow that sometimes, but eventually they decide it's time for the adult to be an adult and pay the WHOLE bill. It should be back on in a few days or less... A man over 50 years old who still acts like a child and tries to get away with not paying the full bill, although this is probably normal for adults in poverty, minus the acting like a child part.

Oh God, I can't imagine being too far from anywhere to use wifi and not having it at home, my whole life is online (I know that's bad, unhealthy, and a dependency). Although, I can't do anything outside of walking distance of civilization, as I can't handle driving, even if someone bought me a car and it was 100% FREE to me.

Old 01-02-2017, 03:46 PM

242 posts, read 158,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Goodwill. I suggested it above and you did not reply to that post, yet replied to all the others to reject what they said. Since you didn't reply to my suggestion about applying for work at Goodwill, did you look up where you can go to apply at Goodwill? They are likely nearby you since they are in many neighborhoods.

When do you plan to contact Goodwill about getting a job?
I couldn't reply because the restaurant's wifi shut off and I had to wait until the next day (today) to walk all the way to McDonald's to get online again! Not everyone has the luxury of having Internet access 24/7! I was literally typing my reply to you when it shut off, and it never came back on. And like I said, I can't get on at home because the billpayer couldn't afford the entire Internet bill. Not everyone has Internet access 24/7!

Old 01-02-2017, 03:58 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,869,118 times
Let me sum this up:

1. Why don't you try....?
2. But...but...but...
Rinse and repeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment