Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 05:20 AM

228 posts, read 796,906 times

Advertisements

I am looking for advise on my next career move. I graduated with a degree in interior design, and started my career working for an architecture firm. My intent was to go to graduate school for architecture. However, nearly every architect I spoke with told me not to bother, because it is a horrible field with long hours and low pay. I was told I would regret my decision. I ended up leaving the field all together. I have had several job changes since then, but I have come to realize that I need to do something involving design. I just completed a course in web and graphic design and I am beginning my job search. My problem is I still feel a pull towards architecture. I am interested in both fields, but I am not sure which is the better road to follow. It seems as though in a soft economy, many architects loose their jobs. Web design seems promising, however, with so many "do it your self" site popping up, I question the future of the industry. Is anyone involved in either of these fields? Can you tell me what the pros and cons are? Do you love your job? What do you think the future holds?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 09:09 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
My husband felt that pull and has enjoyed being an architect for 19 years now. He went back to school nights when he was 29. Took him 12 years, but it was worth it. You can make a very decent wage when you get past the internship and especially if you start your own practice. Some firms pay fairly well for architects, some do not. You would have many choices as far as work and you could choose to work for large developers as well as design firms. You could teach. There are a multitude of areas you can go to. Recently, my husband and I went up to WA to apply for a license. The architect that interviewed him said that there was a shortage of young people coming into the field. With that shortage will bring an increased demand in the near future. I hope you choose architecture. It really is such a noble profession. Best of luck, I know it can seem like a long road.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:17 AM

Smile thank you

Motley,
Thank you for such a thoughtful reply. I am surprised to hear that there are few people entering the field. That actually makes me feel a little better, as I always thought the field was saturated. Right now I am going to send my resume to both architecture firms and website design firms. I will have to go with my "gut feeling" when I go to interview. When I left the architecture firm, I went into construction management, so at least there is some relevancy to my work history. I appreciate your reply. Best of luck in WA.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:20 AM

33 posts, read 144,352 times
Long gone are the days of rewarding web design. Now it's about the applications that run E-Commerce. Both web design and hosting have been compromised into 'side ventures' for companies. There will always be consulting jobs where you can throw together 5 n Dime sites, but the fees have been lowered, since those companies and click-n-build nowadays relatively cheap.

I'd say to go for it if you --truly enjoy-- HTML, CSS, scripting, etc., and you're darn good at it, AND you can build a portfolio that impresses. What about pursuing something specialized with Autocad?

Old 02-29-2008, 10:52 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
So true DOOdeeDOO. We are in the tech business. Web design has evolved and if you don't have the programming skills and ability to create sleek, highly functioning, interactive websites -- forgot it.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:31 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,841 times
I'm a consultant to architects; my recommendation is to work a specialty in the architectural field. The limit goes far higher, especially when dealing with commercial buildings.

Architects nowadays are more project managers than designers; quite a bit of time goes into coordination, and creates those long hours. A good specialty (millwork, AV, telecom design, security, kitchens, etc) can go a long way.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:40 AM

I'm surprised at the responses, I thought the answers would be the other way around. A few years ago a friend of mine was looking to have a website done for her business. She had a hard time finding someone, and ended up going with an advertising company for the work. The cost was $6,000! and she didn't even have any e-commerce.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:19 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,115,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
I'm a consultant to architects; my recommendation is to work a specialty in the architectural field. The limit goes far higher, especially when dealing with commercial buildings.

Architects nowadays are more project managers than designers; quite a bit of time goes into coordination, and creates those long hours. A good specialty (millwork, AV, telecom design, security, kitchens, etc) can go a long way.

I agree about choosing a specialty. Green Designs are becoming much more sought after, and a lot of building companies are pushing Visitablity (Accesible and Universal Design) At our company, (Home Build Consulting) we work with several architects, and each brings unique designs to the table, which our clientelle appreciates. There are many builders out there that do not work with auto cad programs themselves, like ours, that rely on draftsman and architects - so there is a market for your designs. Starting your own firm wouldn't be a waste of time, and you can start out with a home office. good luck!

Old 03-03-2008, 07:41 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,059,299 times
I think you have a very good combination of talent - desire and love of how a building flows, looks, and forms, plus some technical computer savvy to then be able to communicate in such a medium. And as mentioned just above - the greening of the building industry will be IMHO a great niche market to get into, esp. on the ground floor if possible, and in a good market area. Good luck!

Old 03-14-2008, 06:32 AM

Thanks for all of the input, along with the encouragement. I'm on my way to finding a job which will allow me to incorporate all of my skills and interests.
I wish good luck to anyone looking to fulfill their passion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment