Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 11:54 AM

1,177 posts, read 1,131,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
No one is required to be "connected" unless on call, and they pay for that
Not only that, if you answering at a certain point they're going to wonder why. In group emails, I used to see people answering like 1 am. I was WTF? Why would you let your boss, and whoever viewing, you were up at 1 am on a work night. They're going to think you're unprofessional/unprepared. Also, you LOSE the "I didn't get your email. I was asleep". They'll be thinking "Last night you weren't up past 1am, but every other night you were".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 12:01 PM

336 posts, read 378,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
This is fine for most workplaces, but not for everyone, which is why this rule is moronic. There is nothing that I do, that can't wait a day. But sometimes it is about life and health, or a lot of money. Then you shouldn't be allowed to ignore emails, because it is part of your job.
This. In some high level positions, there are situations when waiting until the next day could cost the company or the government thousands or even millions of dollars (e.g., a decision about a contract). Hopefully, if a VIP really needs an after-hours response, he or she will call or text you to let you know.

In my case, I have my phone set to ring on VIP emails, and those are the only emails I read after hours. Those emails rarely require immediate responses, but occasionally they are a heads up that the VIP needs some information for a newly scheduled meeting early the following day. I'd rather find out the evening before so I can go into work a bit earlier, if necessary.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:29 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,000,344 times
With my current job, I chose not to have my email on my phone for this very reason. My last employer required it and it was really hard to ignore 10 notifications staring me in the face.

It's a rare occasion that something needs attention after hours, but I've let them know to text me with emergencies because I won't check my email. In the last year, I've only had one text. It's good to be free of that.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:53 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,584,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
With my current job, I chose not to have my email on my phone for this very reason. My last employer required it and it was really hard to ignore 10 notifications staring me in the face.

It's a rare occasion that something needs attention after hours, but I've let them know to text me with emergencies because I won't check my email. In the last year, I've only had one text. It's good to be free of that.
Same here. I don't even check emails when I'm on call...if it's an urgent ticket they'll page/call me. If not it can wait til the next day.

Old 01-02-2017, 01:17 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
No one is required to be "connected" unless on call, and they pay for that
Or a manager who is the only one with authority or knowledge for some actions.

Old 01-02-2017, 01:25 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,103,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I think it's a great policy. Kudos to the French. Since I received my first company smartphone (aka "a leash") back in 2007, it's been unspoken protocol to access email and respond after hours. I disliked it in the beginning, but after time, just got accustomed to the practice.
If you were issued a company smartphone, wasnt it because the nature of the job required your availability when not in the office? I think folks just have to use some common sense here.

If you're so rigid that you refuse to do ANYTHING that might occur outside of normal work hours you are probably capped out in your advancement. For some folks, that is perfectly okay. Personally, I would t be prepared noting someone who couldn't put the needs of the business above their personal needs every now and then. By the same token, people also need to have a work life balance. Not everything is urgent.

Many times a boss may send an email, because THEY happen to be working or thinking about something. They just want to get it off THEIR desk. They have no expectation that anyone respond immediately. Employees mistakenly assume that they're expecting a response we. I'd expect my folks to have some discernment and know the difference.

Old 01-02-2017, 01:44 PM

50,281 posts, read 47,032,885 times
I'll check it once before bed because I don't ever want to walk into some emergency the next morning.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:44 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,049,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
I agree with this. Most people who are connected after hours do it by choice. Do they gain a competitive advantage over people who shut it down at 5:00? Possibly, but that is a totally different conversation.
Doubtful. More than likely you'll be treated as a useful drone.

The best way to get promoted is to schmooze. Actual production will only get you more tasks landed in your lap, followed by more questions about "why haven't you done Z, Y, X, Q, R, S, T, A, B, C, D, yet?!?!"

Disconnect. I left my previous job because even though I could bill for an hour each day of take-home work, I was actually doing 1.5-2 and even just the hour was questioned. Bull****, find someone else to do that nonsense. Work stays at the workplace. Period.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:53 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
does this mean the french PM no longer has to answer that 3am phone call?

Old 01-02-2017, 07:10 PM

546 posts, read 764,232 times
watch the Michael Moore movie "Sicko" , French had goverment payed nannies helping pregnant ladies with babies with laundy cleaning etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment