Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 12:45 PM

34 posts, read 30,825 times

Advertisements

Thanks for answering!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 03:05 PM

902 posts, read 747,198 times
Dietetics & Nutrition, if it leads to a Registered Dietician credential.

Old 01-02-2017, 04:29 PM

12,107 posts, read 23,274,107 times
OP: How about providing some meaningful details? When asking about career and education advice, your post should be longer than the title..

Old 01-02-2017, 04:31 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,421 times
I have a ton of interest in nutrition and 0 in film (media is broad).

Old 01-02-2017, 04:34 PM

711 posts, read 688,226 times
I think the best choice is the one that most closely aligns with the passions and interest of the individual making the choice.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:12 PM

9,500 posts, read 4,339,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond03 View Post
Thanks for answering!
Neither. Choose a career (healthcare, engineering, etc.) that actually pays for the lifestyle your want and has good opportunities for employment. When you get settled, you can mess around with film, dietetics, or whatever else you're interested in.

The "do what you love" nonsense that has been popular as of late is pretty much the absolute worse advice, ever.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
The "do what you love" nonsense that has been popular as of late is pretty much the absolute worse advice, ever.
Funny. It's worked pretty well for me for over 40 years. My occasional forrays into other areas simply for money have been very short lived. The same holds true for my husband.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:20 PM

9,500 posts, read 4,339,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextStage View Post
Funny. It's worked pretty well for me for over 40 years. My occasional forrays into other areas simply for money have been very short lived. The same holds true for my husband.
Consider yourself to be fortunate. You are the exception, not the rule. The problem is this: most people who choose what they love, say underwater basket weaving, wake up one day and realize that they're 40 years old and make $30K per year and live in a trailer park. Why not pursue a lucrative career, live in a nice house, and pursue underwater basket weaving as a leisure time activity?

Or maybe, they're just happy with a very low standard of living. More power to them. Just don't start whining about people who make a lot more money than you and insist that they pay more taxes and support you and/or subsidize your retirement via raising the SS wage cap, etc.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:27 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Quote:
Consider yourself to be fortunate. You are the exception, not the rule. The problem is this: people choose what the love, say underwater basket weaving, and wake up one day and realize that they're 40 years old and make $30K per year and live in a trailer park. Why not pursue a lucrative career, live in a nice house, and pursue underwater basket weaving as a leisure time activity?
Mike Rowe talks a lot about this. That the "job you love" mantra is nonsense. All the people he has met over the years had a similar career trajectory:

Filled a "dirty job" no one else wanted, worked HARD and learned. IN a year, started out on their own. In three years, had a handful of employees. In five years had a business that was very successful, and they LOVED it. Why? Because they learned to love it. They built it, it was theirs. It was their hard work personified and they were very proud of it. He also talks about how hard work is very rewarding to the psyche. Interesting stuff.

google him for interviews, his take is very interesting.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Consider yourself to be fortunate. You are the exception, not the rule. The problem is this: most people who choose what they love, say underwater basket weaving, wake up one day and realize that they're 40 years old and make $30K per year and live in a trailer park. Why not pursue a lucrative career, live in a nice house, and pursue underwater basket weaving as a leisure time activity?

Or maybe, they're just happy with a very low standard of living. More power to them. Just don't start whining about people who make a lot more money than you and insist that they pay more taxes and support you and/or subsidize your retirement via raising the SS wage cap, etc.
Actually I do consider myself very fortunate. I found that I have a skill that I'm good at and businesses need. To top it off, I really enjoy it. Thru the years I've adapted the way I work to enable a decent income and fund my own retirement.

I do have other outside leisure activities that aren't a source of income.

When I see people that are at the top of their industries, they're generally enjoy what they're doing. I know quite a few people well past retirement age that continue to work in their industry because they truly like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment