Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2017, 06:23 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,319,953 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever done such a thing? NO one at my work EVER seems to do this. Im feeling like i need a few personal days but after just having days off due to the holiday im sure id get a lot of flack. I was sick all last week and am still recovering, my 9 month old and 2.5 yr old were also sick as was my husband. I cant quit my job but i already feel stressed and the week hasnt started. My husbands job is very stressful and he has to go in early tomorrow leaving me with more to do plus he goes away for 4 days in week and a half.

I know my job is going to be sooo busy the next few months and it is wearing on me...that is just life though right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 06:44 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,737,277 times
You might want to discuss everything with your boss. Not a coworker, not another employee.

Just be honest and forthright. Send a meeting request titled 'personal'.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:21 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,319,953 times
Oh i would never discuss it with anyone else...not sure what my boss would think. Sad thing is I have vacation time but lord forbid i take that

Old 01-02-2017, 08:23 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post

I know my job is going to be sooo busy the next few months and it is wearing on me...that is just life though right?
Yes.

Do you have someone in town who can help you with the girls when your husband is out of town? Other than that, yes, it sounds like normal life with two working parents and two preschoolers.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:39 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Has anyone ever done such a thing? NO one at my work EVER seems to do this. Im feeling like i need a few personal days but after just having days off due to the holiday im sure id get a lot of flack. I was sick all last week and am still recovering, my 9 month old and 2.5 yr old were also sick as was my husband. I cant quit my job but i already feel stressed and the week hasnt started. My husbands job is very stressful and he has to go in early tomorrow leaving me with more to do plus he goes away for 4 days in week and a half.

Yes, this is life for many of us. We just buckle down and get through it. If you wave the white flag any time things get tough your arm is going to quickly tire.

For example, I had to work 15 hour days for 3 weeks straight (plus work my off days) to complete a proposal that was due Dec 23rd. I was off work from Dec 24th - Jan 2nd but ended up being sick for the large majority of it and ended up working on my house repairs at about 50% health. It was difficult, but just something I knew that I had to do.

I really didn't get any time to decompress as planned, but as is life. I still got up at 5am this morning, grabbed a shower, and headed in to work. I'm behind on my other tasks because of that proposal and it will likely take me 2-3 weeks to catch back up but I'll manage. Eventually things will settle down as they always do.

I don't take more time off when things are busy because that only piles on more work to do when I get back. For me (and your mileage may vary) it is easier to push through it and wait for the slow down to come than to keep taking time off and letting things stack up.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:13 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,582,084 times
I take a mental health day here or there, especially when my son was younger. I also regularly schedule a week of staycation off a couple times a year to de-stress. I agree with going to your boss, explaining how you're feeling and then finding a time to schedule a few days or a week off. It may be he says take this friday or it may be that it has to be a couple weeks out but I've found if you're honest then they're supportive of that. They want you at 100% and no one is when they feel how you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment