Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 09:53 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I believe the OP has mentioned something related to engineering related to new construction, which is by its nature pretty unstable. We're in a boom period now where everyone is trying to build, build, build, but what happens a few years down the road when it's like it was back in 2006-8 with all the vacant lots/buildings no one wanted to buy because the bubble burst?

Remember during the "New Economy" in the early naughts when all the tech workers had great stock options? Remember when they had super high salaries? Remember when all those jobs went away and they had no jobs for a few years? Again, those seemed awesome at the time, but they weren't so awesome when those people were unemployed because they were way overpaid to start with for the particular skill set they had.

All the construction-related workers were out of work applying for the very limited government jobs available. One thousand engineers applying for that same federal GS-11 engineering position in flyover country? Check. Pay tens of thousands of dollars less than those engineers used to make? Check.

I'm in an right-to-work state, so we have no union protection in government. For the most part, positions are eliminated every year and we're doing 2 or 3 people's jobs because no positions that are vacated are ever filled. If people complain because nothing is finished on time, it's because overtime is never approved and most workers aren't allowed to work more than 40 hours a week or accrue comp time. There have been no substantive raises for many entities (municipal, county, state) for 5-10 years.

However, it is stable, so when there is a recession people typically do have a job (although there are layoffs and firings) as opposed to in the private sector. If people are laid off, they also have rehire rights if they are in the civil services.
I have no idea where this person lives. Obviously, someone in a good field in a prosperous, major metro area is going to be better off than an average person in small town USA.

There is a major building boom going in Nashville right now. Rent and property values have skyrocketed. I was downtown last month and have never seen so many cranes in my life. There is a lot of private sector activity going on, but what happens if the economy there cools off? A lot of those workers are going to be sacked.

Where I'm at, there is no boom, but some slow, steady growth. While our economy isn't as healthy as Nashville, by a long shot, I don't expect the construction sector to have the bottom fall out.

Yes, there are jobs out there like the OP in the private sector which are well-compensated and quite plush. Still, if I was an average stiff making $40k-$60k, I'd generally rather be in the public sector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 10:10 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I have had many experiences with non-motivated state employees. I've worked in both the public and private sectors. I'm currently in the private sector and intend on staying put.

I currently have 2 interns who are working for my company and 2 state interns. I have come to find my interns a lot more dependable than the state interns. I tell my interns to do something, they do it. In fact, they are now capable of doing professional calculations and reports on their own without being babysat. I have also come to realize that the state interns in my office cannot be depended on anything.

2 weeks ago, I told one of the state interns to go to xyz folder. He should find 5 pages. I told him to write "Type E" on top of those pages. While sitting and joking around, he said ok. I just checked those pages this morning. Nothing.

This is the same pattern that I observed back when I worked for the state. Yes, there are good honest workers working in the public sector. But the way the system is there are simply too many slackers who get away with doing the absolute minimum.

The 2 state interns have been working in my office. From their attitude, I would never hire them. While my interns are hard at work and trying to learn as much as they could, the state interns would just be joking around or doing things as slow as they can get away with.

Sometimes, I like to take the interns out to show them the actual construction and teach them stuff. I would ask them what is that or why are they doing xyz? My interns would be trying come up with answers and listen intently as I explain things. The state interns most of the time don't even pay attention or would be on their phone.

It is obvious the state interns did not get the job based on merits.
I have a few questions related to this after reading a lot of the comments through the thread:
1. Should interns be highly motivated when you are giving them a task of typing a nomenclature on a page while they see others "doing professional calculations and reports"?
2. Do you typically wait two weeks to review tasks that are assigned?
3. Do you have discretion with coaching and discipline over these interns? Have you even tried to work with them or does your past prejudice taint that ability?
4. Perhaps the internship was not based on ability. Some are based on specific programs or locations and are not awarded on merit. Did you get to choose or be a part of the process that identified the interns?

It is true that many public sector employees may be unmotivated, but I believe that falls largely on their leadership. Having worked and managed in private, not-for-profit, and public sector, I will argue that poor personnel management and failures of mid and upper level leadership to coach and inspire their teams is the root cause.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:07 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,280,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
People like the OP are reasons why I hope to never work in the private sector
Yea, having to actually produce results would be a bit€h, right?

Quote:
Our union maintains total control of our work environment and pretty much you are spot on

Its pretty damn tough to get fired.
As long as you do your work and don't cause trouble theres no way to get fired

Lazy people are every where be at the private or public sector but people really need to define wjat lazy employees really mean

I much rather have a union to prevent demanding bosses like the OP to do whatever they feel like to their employees
You do seem to be a perfect fit for a union shop. Can't have a demanding boss get away with making you do real work, can we?

Old 01-04-2017, 12:10 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,345,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Yea, having to actually produce results would be a bit€h, right?

You do seem to be a perfect fit for a union shop. Can't have a demanding boss get away with making you do real work, can we?
I mean we still do work.

We just don't have some over demanding boss who whiplashes and pressures everyone of their employees. ( who wants to deal with that?)

I mention it already several times we still do work period.

I can't exactly be messing around and not doing nothing for 8 hours a day.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:15 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
People like the OP are reasons why I hope to never work in the private sector
Yeah...accountability for the work you perform, or the lack of work you perform as the case may be, is a b*tch to deal with.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Yeah...accountability for the work you perform, or the lack of work you perform as the case may be, is a b*tch to deal with.
Do you like whiplashing abusive bosses?
or do you rather join a union?

Your choice.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Do you like whiplashing abusive bosses?
or do you rather join a union?

Your choice.
I see no indication that the OP is a "whiplashing abusive boss", quite the opposite in fact.

The fact that you see his thread and identify his efforts of delegating tasks to his employees as "whiplashing" and "abusive" tells us everything we need to know. The description of government employees as lazy may indeed be an unfair caricature, but you do nothing to help dismiss that stereotype.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I see no indication that the OP is a "whiplashing abusive boss", quite the opposite in fact.

The fact that you see his thread and identify his efforts of delegating tasks to his employees as "whiplashing" and "abusive" tells us everything we need to know.
That hes jealous that he can't get a government job thats more relaxed and slow pace than his environment?

That I can get my job done without having a micro managing boss to watch me every minute?

That I can work at my own pace

I get my work done so not sure exactly whats missing here unless you consider that lazy

I'll tell you this if you think you can get away with not doing nothing at all day in state employment thats not how it works out.

If I don't get my tickets done I could get in trouble, there's no way I can keep my job if I don't take care of my tickets

Last edited by CosmoStars; 01-04-2017 at 12:41 PM..

Old 01-04-2017, 12:58 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
That hes jealous that he can't get a government job thats more relaxed and slow pace than his environment?

That I can get my job done without having a micro managing boss to watch me every minute?

I get my work done so not sure exactly whats missing here unless you consider that lazy

I'll tell you this if you think you can get away with not doing nothing at all day in state employment thats not how it works out.

If I don't get my tickets done I could get in trouble, there's no way I can keep my job if I don't take care of my tickets

That exists in the private sector as well.

My boss when I was a union state employee was FAAR worse than any boss I've ever had in the private industry. Talk about a micromanager. I haven't even talked to my current boss since mid-Dec. When I was a union boy, I think I threw two phones off the wall because of my micromanaging boss calling every 5 mins and yelling about something.

Not everyone in private sector works 16 hour days for a whiplashing boss, just like not everyone who is in a union sits and hides for 7 hours a day.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:

I don't know the guy, but I see no indication of jelousy in his thread and he clearly indicated he does not want to babysit (micromanage) his employees.
You are really too defensive here. try another approach to get your point across.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment