Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 04:40 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
They don't need a medical excuse. This is an office job where OP happens to work on Saturday and Sunday, but just like all of their other co-workers, they are entitled to a weekend with two consecutive days. Yes, you aren't guaranteed that in retail but that is something that people know going in. OP has worked for this company for almost 2 years and had a set schedule with two consecutive days off that whole time. Changing their schedule now is a problem regardless of your desire to normalize this action by the employer.
Thanks for your version of clarification. It appears that its a 7 day a week business, Her preference days to work are subjected to change.

I worked for a business ( Administration desk job) for 14 years, it wasn't "assumed" that we would have Weekends off. Or two days off in a row. We got paid for 40 hours and we worked 40 hours. None of us were "entitled" to assume unless it was in our contract. No matter how many months we may have had two days off....life, and work...are subject to change.

I was inquiring her reasoning for this demand on consecutive days off, as HR would review it and make adjustments if they fall under protected labor laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 06:04 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
The explanation my boss gave me for the random, inconsistent days off is that "having me out of the office for two consecutive days throws off the flow/rhythm of the office." I was like wtf? I guess when I'm by myself with no supervision on Saturday/Sunday that doesn't mean anything to anyone.

I guess it's time to start looking...
"Hey [name], I've been thinking about what you said about my being out of the office for two consecutive days throwing off the rhythm of the office and I understand your concern. I don't want to harm the company, but at the same time having a proper weekend is important to me. I think we could achieve both goals by changing my schedule to the usual Monday-Friday, or Tues-Sat, or Sunday-Thurs. I am willing to live through the short term disruption of changing my schedule to a more normal one for the good of the company."

Meanwhile, send out resumes. Starting tonight.

edit:
There are 3 scenarios:

1) They are trying to push you out without paying unemployment. They'll stand firm or fire you on the spot. Either way, you're leaving this place one way or another soon.

2) They are being honest. Having the weekend worked matters less than you think, and your schedule is disruptive. They'll ask you to change your work week and everything will be fine, if you will.

3) They are desperately trying to fill schedule holes and you're the most accomodative or junior person, and thus getting leaned on. When you push back by offering to work Monday-Friday, they'll either find someone else or explain the need explicitly rather than with some BS about 'office rhythm'. The former is obviously good, the latter is also good because you taking an explicit and temporary hit for the firm sets you up for a raise or more accomodative treatment in the future (and if you work in the sort of place that expects you to make personal sacrifices and doesn't reward for it, you should have left yesterday).

Last edited by ALackOfCreativity; 01-08-2017 at 06:14 PM..

Old 01-09-2017, 08:11 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Do they see a post and then randomly check all the other posts to see if they can find some discrepancy?
No, at least I don't. If I bring up an old post it's usually because the OP has other threads about the same topic, so they are easily recalled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment