Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 07:07 AM

15,207 posts, read 10,238,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Since yesterday!
OMG.

You seem to have no tolerance for what happens on other people's lives. This was a big event, and people talk about big events.
How long have you worked there?
You will be hearing a lot more about life events over the years.... get used to it.

People have become so rude and numb to other's people pain or joy. I guess all etiquette and social conventions are gone.

Just fake it if you have to so you don't appear to be a stick in the mud. One day you may be excited about something and wish to share it with others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 07:14 AM

5,128 posts, read 4,465,675 times
OP, you are the one with the problem. You don't seem to realize that you don't live in the world by yourself. Most people like to talk to others about the things that happen in their lives, especially the good things.

What's the big deal if you overhear someone happily talking about her wedding on the day she gets back from her honeymoon? That's a major life event. Of course she's excited and wants to talk about it. This is just part of life when you live in society. If you don't care, just ignore it. There's nothing to complain about--especially after only one day. Sheesh!!

I'd much rather be around someone who's talking about something wonderful and happy, than someone who is a killjoy and likes to find things to complain about (you).

Old 01-07-2017, 07:23 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,186,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenise12 View Post
lol I'm happily married. Nice try.
Repped you for that!

I'm married too; we tied the knot in '15. I was at the same job I have now. I didn't talk about my upcoming wedding or honeymoon with coworkers except for my boss because I had to arrange time off. He asked out of idle curiosity and I told him the reason why. Before I left for the wedding/honeymoon, the group presented me with a card and gift card for Home Depot, which I thought was sweet.

But when I got back, I didn't blab on and on about it except for talking about our honeymoon destination (Colorado) with a couple of coworkers who were from there. They seemed to enjoy hearing about it and seeing pictures. But I didn't force it on anyone.

I'm mostly of the mindset that you should keep your private life private at work. You never know when it's going to be used as ammunition.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:40 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,808,944 times
Do nothing. Get headphones and ignore the hoopla. Wait a couple of years, and the NEXT loudest discussions you will overhear will be about what a jerk he was and how the divorce is going. There's been a correlation made that the more that's spent on a wedding, the higher the likelihood of it ending in divorce.

My wife and I catered our own wedding. Hired someone to make and setup the cake. I bought the booze and setup and tended bar. Myself and my best man were cleaning our neighborhood clubhouse (cheap rent for the reception) and mopping the floors at 1 am in our tuxedos on our wedding night. We've been married 27 years.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:41 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,912,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Since yesterday? Give it time. It will die down in a couple of days. Sounds like the wedding may be just a symptom of other issues you have with her.
Oh no it doesn't. I had a coworker like that and we heard about it for months. The endless conversations about rings, dresses, cakes, the wedding party, wedding coordinator, the wedding date, the venue, invitations, number of guests, her gift registry, table settings, honeymoon, her parents' reactions, the choice of priest, etc. . . If only couples worked as hard on the marriage afterward as on the wedding, there would be a lower divorce and homicide rate

Old 01-07-2017, 09:12 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,696,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
Do nothing. Get headphones and ignore the hoopla. Wait a couple of years, and the NEXT loudest discussions you will overhear will be about what a jerk he was and how the divorce is going. There's been a correlation made that the more that's spent on a wedding, the higher the likelihood of it ending in divorce.
How do you know what these people spent on their wedding? Sure, it was a destination wedding but it could have been inexpensive. Also do you have a link that you can post to prove that the more people spend on their wedding, the more likely they are to divorce? Like, you know, actual research studies and statistics.

This post is not about a wedding anyway; it's about a co-worker who is annoying someone by talking about her wedding/honeymoon.

Also, I find it rather sad that anyone would sit around hoping for someone else to divorce. This is not anything I would wish on anyone.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:03 AM

3,568 posts, read 1,341,162 times
^^ Yeah, I was wondering how/why anyone in this thread knows 1) the husband is a jerk and/or that 2) there will be a divorce to talk about........or 3) that she and OP will even be working there when that divorce takes place.

Last edited by applej3; 01-07-2017 at 11:18 AM..

Old 01-07-2017, 11:06 AM

6 posts, read 5,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I agree. OP, just spill it, you don't like this co-worker.....What is the back story?
I have nothing against her except her need to go on and on and on about her personal life. I don't really ever have to interact with her. She's a good 10 years older then I am and isn't someone I would have anything in common with. Some of my coworkers seem to think because we work together we are going to be besties and I'm not interested. Been working for this office for 4 months now and they still don't get it. I moved to NY hoping people would be less intrusive and mind their own business.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:54 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,096,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Oh no it doesn't. I had a coworker like that and we heard about it for months. The endless conversations about rings, dresses, cakes, the wedding party, wedding coordinator, the wedding date, the venue, invitations, number of guests, her gift registry, table settings, honeymoon, her parents' reactions, the choice of priest, etc. . . If only couples worked as hard on the marriage afterward as on the wedding, there would be a lower divorce and homicide rate
Months? Really!?!?! Even if it was (which seems highly unlikely, and like a bit of an over exaggeration), behavior is hardly the norm. We live in a society where news of a mass shooting has a shelf life of about three days.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:27 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,060,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenise12 View Post
I have nothing against her except her need to go on and on and on about her personal life. I don't really ever have to interact with her. She's a good 10 years older then I am and isn't someone I would have anything in common with. Some of my coworkers seem to think because we work together we are going to be besties and I'm not interested. Been working for this office for 4 months now and they still don't get it. I moved to NY hoping people would be less intrusive and mind their own business.
I think you're trying to pass on your expectations onto everyone else at work. Getting married is a big deal, it just happened, she's exuberant and wants to share it with the world. Is it really that difficult to engage another human being?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment