Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 07:11 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,895,351 times

Advertisements

My heart truly goes out to the delivery drivers who have no other recourse but to work during wintry weather, and risk their lives to deliver pizzas, food during/after ice/snow events.

Do they sign some sort of liability waiver that protects the company? Does the company offer any additional insurance for drivers during wintry weather? I've always wondered...

Seems irresponsible on the companies' part, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 07:12 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,978,807 times
When profit is in involved. You think Sociopathic management would really care? They wouldn't care if an employee was murdered. Its "Well on to the next sucker". Sociopaths have no feelings or empathy. As long as profit is being made, they don't care if some guy is out there delivering pizzas risking potential death

Old 01-08-2017, 07:14 AM

432 posts, read 342,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
My heart truly goes out to the delivery drivers who have no other recourse but to work during wintry weather, and risk their lives to deliver pizzas, food during/after ice/snow events.

Do they sign some sort of liability waiver that protects the company? Does the company offer any additional insurance for drivers during wintry weather? I've always wondered...

Unless a state of emergency is declared, I don't think much can be done.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
When profit is in involved. You think Sociopathic management would really care? They wouldn't care if an employee was murdered. Its "Well on to the next sucker". Sociopaths have no feelings or empathy. As long as profit is being made, they don't care if some guy is out there delivering pizzas risking potential death
Shameful.

I would think the company would have built in safeguards for their employees who'd be willing to risk their lives for the sake for delivering pizzas (often due to lack of employment options) in extremely hazardous conditions?

Corporate responsibility is needed here. the managers are just as much cogs as the delivery drivers.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:28 AM

4,579 posts, read 3,403,067 times
I am supposed to work at a department store at 10 am. I just walked to the nearest state highway and it is not drivable. We are under a declared state of emergency, but the store will still open. It has been hinted that I will loose my job if I can't make it. Hickory NC

Old 01-08-2017, 07:36 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,978,807 times
Quote:
Shameful.

I would think the company would have built in safeguards for their employees who'd be willing to risk their lives for the sake for delivering pizzas (often due to lack of employment options) in extremely hazardous conditions?

Corporate responsibility is needed here. the managers are just as much cogs as the delivery drivers.

Well ever since we have got the message from DC that "Corporations are people" its anything goes in the corporate world now sadly. Exploitation, rampant employee abuse, etc.

Hopefully this new administration puts a leash on these companies but I doubt it.

What they don't seem to get (or neglect) is that corporations are not people but made up of people and people can be bad, flawed, naughty, NUTS or downright EVIL

Old 01-08-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
I am supposed to work at a department store at 10 am. I just walked to the nearest state highway and it is not drivable. We are under a declared state of emergency, but the store will still open. It has been hinted that I will loose my job if I can't make it. Hickory NC
See, that's exactly what I'm talking about...

My gosh. Be careful.

And I wouldn't judge you if you decided to stay at home or go... Know anybody with a 4wheel drive? Or any taxi/uber services available?

Old 01-08-2017, 08:00 AM

4,579 posts, read 3,403,067 times
I live 20 miles from work, mostly by main state roads. They were just plowed for the first tile last night at around 9PM which just left them with a solid 1: of ice as the surface. it is 9 degrees here now, wont break freezing until tomorrow around noon. I am staying home, I can go back to ebay if I loose my job.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:23 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,721,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post

I would tell them to shove it! My SIL & BIL live an hour North of Charlotte and got like 6 inches of snow. North Carolina is not used to that and doesn't know how to because it's rare. The towns hit hard should close until all is safe. Good luck!

Old 01-08-2017, 08:28 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,376,315 times
Quote:
Everyone gets to pick their job. Normally when you pick a job you are aware of what it entails. I would assume if a Pizza Delivery person does not work, they don't get paid. No tips for the day.

I have to go to work regardless of the weather. I knew that when I applied for my job. I will give kudos to my Company that will put us in hotels so they have a Staff when really bad weather is going to happen. Often, over the years, I have had to figure out a way to get to work safely.

My spouse on the other hand has a job that he can work remotely from home if the weather is bad--lucky him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment