Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 01:05 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,253,831 times

Advertisements

While it wouldn't stop me from accepting the right offer,it would speak loudly to me about the culture of the company I was about to join. I would consider myself forewarned that we did not share the same values and would take a wait and see approach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 01:27 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
Probably appropriate if you are interviewing for a mercenary job. I only curse when fixing cars or plumbing.

Old 01-08-2017, 01:36 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Have you ever experienced an HR pro/recruiter/Hiring Manager use profanity during a professional employment interview?

I've only experienced it twice during face-to-face interviews. In both cases, the HM threw around a few F-bombs (not directly at me, just in general during our conversations). I'm curious if anyone else has encountered anything similar?
I have heard that before. Not common though. I think that the type of people who would do that are the type of people who aren't putting on a show for your benefit, but more talkign like they do on a daily basis. You could take that as a good thing or a bad thing.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:31 PM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
Never....I would be very hesitant to work for a firm that hired HR employees with such unprofessional behavior. Their behavior speaks to the firm's behavior. The job would have to be a dream position for me to consider that job opportunity. I had a couple of interviewers in senior management positions hit on me during interviews. I passed when offered the jobs.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 01-08-2017 at 03:39 PM..

Old 01-08-2017, 03:56 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
I had one interview during the summer months.
The Lady must of had a bad few interviews, because by the time I sat down, Her temperament was scathing.
She had nothing nice to say about the former applicants or even my being there on time.
She just ranted unpleasantries about the work load and how she expected the new hire to read her mind! I read my mind and made a Bee Line for the door.

And the kicker was...She was the director for special needs children. I wouldn't let her near my family...

Old 01-08-2017, 04:02 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
I've only had it happen once during an actual interview. The guy was pissed because it was my second interview and I was supposed to have received a packet from the recruiter at the end of the last interview and it was never given to me, so basically nothing was filled out or completed and we had to reschedule.

I have been working for a company and "on loan" to another department and have heard my possible future boss using words like that a few times though. It really depends on the context. A small amount of profanity is fine, even good in my opinion, if they trust that they can act like themselves around you and not always walk on eggshells, which is what a lot of corporate America is like now. Too much though, and you've got a boss swearing like a sailor and it just makes them look unprofessional and unintelligent.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:02 PM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Probably appropriate if you are interviewing for a mercenary job. I only curse when fixing cars or plumbing.
I cursed once when I was playing golf.

Missed the f..... putt.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:01 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
I have never experienced nor ever heard of hiring managers swearing during interviews. Very strange!

Old 01-08-2017, 06:32 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
Quote:
Have you ever experienced an HR pro/recruiter/Hiring Manager use profanity during a professional employment interview?

I've only experienced it twice during face-to-face interviews. In both cases, the HM threw around a few F-bombs (not directly at me, just in general during our conversations). I'm curious if anyone else has encountered anything similar?
My industry is manufacturing, so yes, I've experienced it a few times in interviews.

I personally am not offended by it and have pretty much become immune to the F-bomb, lol.

That being said, I know that some others find it offensive so personally would not ever use it in an interview.

I did once accidentally say bullsh!t in an interview when I was explaining our company culture and told him that it was "down to earth, with no bullsh!t". He ended up laughing and said that he didn't like B.S. either. Of course we ended up hiring him and he turned out to be a great employee.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:38 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,748 times
Quote:

NOT NORMAL.
No this is not appropriate. I have never heard of this before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment