U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2008, 02:48 PM

6,012 posts, read 8,918,412 times

Advertisements

I have been working in my field for 10 yrs now, achieved Sr. status and make pretty good income. However, I feel I reached a stage where it's becoming a routine. I don't feel excited about coming to work. At 33, I have spent most of my 20s studying and developing my career, gave up relationships, vacations etc. for this. Now I am wondering if I did the right thing because I feel like quitting my job for 6 months and touring the world. Am I crazy?

Although I have savings and want to I can't get myself to the reality, I fret about things like gaps on my resume and losing loads of income etc. At other times I feel I have only one life and need to do something adventurous and spontaneous otherwise I am wasting my younger years. I'm single and have no dependents and also have no debt or obligations so in a good position.

Anyone else feel like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 03:09 PM

5,038 posts, read 14,743,270 times
I feel like my job is routine and boring. I've been in my field for about 15 years. I don't make really good money, but I also have a job that doesn't require I supervise anyone....which is just the way I like it.

If you've got the resources and the time, I'd say go for it! If you're single and have no dependants, now is the ideal time. You don't want to look back 5-10 years from now and wish you would've gone. I do understand your concern with gaps in your resumé and loss of your savings. But perhaps on your 6 month adventure, you'll find something that might lead you down a better, more fulfilling path.

I don't have an adventurous spirit, so I guess I don't feel exactly how you feel. But when a job gets boring, it's time for some kind of change.

Good luck to you and whatever you decide. If you do decide to travel, come back and tell us all about it.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:30 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,560,828 times
I second the motion! GO FOR IT! Take it from one who has done it and has a son who has done it and yearns to do it again (he now works for a prestigious corporation) and most likely will. You may not have opportunities later; it will do you a whole world of good! Your spirits will soar. I'm not sure it's bad to add that to your resume. You can come up with some explanation for having that opportunity (maybe even studying abroad, even if it's just one course). I am sure you will be able to re-enter your field with your experience.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:54 PM

474 posts, read 545,655 times
K374 Who will stop you from listing your travels and time period of those travels on your resume? Perhaps you can plan a journey that is related to your field. Keep a journal, take pictures, pick up information (in other countries) that relates to your field. One of my neices thought she had reached the highest point of her career in Mathematics and Science, even authored a book on new methods of Math etc. She traveled and ended up teaching English and Math in Russia and Thailand. She teaches in this area now, but one thing she won't be doing, is dreaming of the things she could have done. My daughter did the same thing, and now that her kids are post college, they are always surprised when she speaks of foreign places. She always says, I didn't want to look out the window over a sink full of dishes and wonder about the world out there, I didn't want to wonder why I hadn't done it early on. She did. She is happy with her life now and loves supporting her kids as they fulfill their dreams as well. Now for me, I didn't do that. I married young. I love my husband, children, grandchildren, great grand children, but you know what? Although I did some traveling to far away places, they were always tied to my job. Do your freelance thing? Bet it will make a great book.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:21 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,335,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendly blogger View Post
K374 Who will stop you from listing your travels and time period of those travels on your resume? Perhaps you can plan a journey that is related to your field. Keep a journal, take pictures, pick up information (in other countries) that relates to your field. One of my neices thought she had reached the highest point of her career in Mathematics and Science, even authored a book on new methods of Math etc. She traveled and ended up teaching English and Math in Russia and Thailand. She teaches in this area now, but one thing she won't be doing, is dreaming of the things she could have done. My daughter did the same thing, and now that her kids are post college, they are always surprised when she speaks of foreign places. She always says, I didn't want to look out the window over a sink full of dishes and wonder about the world out there, I didn't want to wonder why I hadn't done it early on. She did. She is happy with her life now and loves supporting her kids as they fulfill their dreams as well. Now for me, I didn't do that. I married young. I love my husband, children, grandchildren, great grand children, but you know what? Although I did some traveling to far away places, they were always tied to my job. Do your freelance thing? Bet it will make a great book.
What a wonderful and imaginative idea....To the OP, is it possible to take a "sabbatical" from your current position for say 2-3 months since you have been there a while; or even if you have that much vacation saved much you would still get paid for it. I always am thankful that I got to travel a little bit with my best friend(husband) before we had children because I also did not want "to look out the window over a sink full of dishes and wonder about the world out there". GOod luck and keep us posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment