Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2017, 03:09 PM

10 posts, read 6,848 times

Advertisements

I left my full-time job last spring after I decided it was the wrong job for me, a toxic workplace, etc. Since then I have been working part time for my significant other's business. However, I've been trying to get back into a full-time job to get my career going again. Like many others, I've gone through multiple interviews with no offer. It's very frustrating but I refuse to let it get me down especially now that the new year is here and I know hiring will pick up again. I have a bachelors degree and about 8 years of work experience post-college.

Recently I a recruiter from a staffing agency contacted me regarding a contract-to-hire position which sounds pretty appealing to me overall. Even though the pay is not great I am highly considering it and hoping I might get an offer.

Just wondering -- Has anyone else with a similar background considered or taken a "temp" job? If so, what was your experience like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 03:16 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Do what you gotta do to pay the bills. I started out as a temp with a bachelors degree. I've been there 10 years now after being hired full time after 6 months as a temp.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:26 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,705,460 times
Isn't about 30% of the workforce temp or contract? It really has nothing to do with degree or no degree.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:51 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
"Employed" is the new "promoted."

Think of temping as an extended job interview. It allows you to get to know a company while showing off your skills. It's also a way to network and become a "known quantity" in an industry.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:56 PM

19,115 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Do what you gotta do to pay the bills.
+1
Despite having an MA, plus professional certifications, I worked in a long-term "temp" position after taking early retirement, just to have extra income--over and above my pension. Yes, I felt that I was being severely underpaid with just $17 per hour, but I did it for a few years.

As was said, you do what you have to do...

Old 01-09-2017, 05:57 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
My profession is plagued with staffing agencies. It is really bad for the profession. These agencies pay horribly, offer no benefits or badly substandard ones, offer no job security and their clients are typically the sleaziest companies imaginable.

First stats from the WE Upjohn institute for Labor Economics are 27% of temp to hire jobs ever become permanent and only 18% overall. They will always tell you it is temp-to-hire and if you do a good job you will be hired to get you to take the lousy job and motivate you to work hard. You are being carrot and sticked.

I worked such a job for 3 years and was on the verge of quitting the profession.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 01-09-2017 at 06:19 PM..

Old 01-09-2017, 06:47 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,978 times
It's contract to hire, not temp. And yes it's okay. Especially if it's related to your field.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:47 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oboe6127 View Post
I left my full-time job last spring after I decided it was the wrong job for me, a toxic workplace, etc. Since then I have been working part time for my significant other's business. However, I've been trying to get back into a full-time job to get my career going again. Like many others, I've gone through multiple interviews with no offer. It's very frustrating but I refuse to let it get me down especially now that the new year is here and I know hiring will pick up again. I have a bachelors degree and about 8 years of work experience post-college.

Recently I a recruiter from a staffing agency contacted me regarding a contract-to-hire position which sounds pretty appealing to me overall. Even though the pay is not great I am highly considering it and hoping I might get an offer.

Just wondering -- Has anyone else with a similar background considered or taken a "temp" job? If so, what was your experience like?
i did it. I was having difficulty finding employment and I was happy to find the long term temping assignment. The pay was terrible but it helped pay the majority of my bills. I did not become permanent but that is okay. The pay was too low to survive on long term. I did eventually find a job. They say the best time to find a job is when you are employed.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:01 PM

363 posts, read 433,079 times
Yes, it's normal. Unfortunately, being a temp is more often than not the only way to get a job. It can also take a long time to get hired full time, some never do. The pay isn't good either. But at least it gets you the job. I started as a temp and I was hired full time in 4 months at my current job. I hate my job but it pays the bills. You have nothing to lose by trying it, so go for it.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:08 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
My husband started his engineering career through a temp agency. He was hired on after 6 months and has now been with the company 17 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment