Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 04:03 PM

127 posts, read 82,587 times

Advertisements

I drive a city bus and train for a large east cost transit company.

I'm absolutely miserable there because of the insanely long time it takes to move up and the working conditions, and basically, the job itself.

I will eventually make a ton of money - $67k a year without OT added in the equation. I'm currently in progression so it will take me another 2.5 years to see that kind of $.

The company also offers a pension, which we are forced to put in 10.5% of our hourly wages automatically.

The point im trying to make is, I feel completely stuck at this job with the "golden handcuffs". I dread going into work everyday and contemplate faking sickness to get off. I use all my sick and personal days as soon as I get them to make it better.

Ive been debating on quitting and going back to school to use up my GI bill. I was considering something in the medical field like Med assistant.

Im I crazy to quit this job and not tough it out for the 25-30 years and live a happy life after retirement? Or would I be better off take a pay cut to find something with better hours and lower pay. I barely see anyone or havn't been to a holiday for the 2 years ive worked here. It takes like 10 years to get weekends and holidays off.

thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 04:13 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,430,043 times
Quit. You'll never last 25-30 years with your mind and health intact. It stressed me out just reading what you wrote. GET OUT BEFORE YOU GO POSTAL and end up in prison.

Old 01-09-2017, 04:20 PM

432 posts, read 341,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamPittsburgh View Post
I drive a city bus and train for a large east cost transit company.

I'm absolutely miserable there because of the insanely long time it takes to move up and the working conditions, and basically, the job itself.

I will eventually make a ton of money - $67k a year without OT added in the equation. I'm currently in progression so it will take me another 2.5 years to see that kind of $.

The company also offers a pension, which we are forced to put in 10.5% of our hourly wages automatically.

The point im trying to make is, I feel completely stuck at this job with the "golden handcuffs". I dread going into work everyday and contemplate faking sickness to get off. I use all my sick and personal days as soon as I get them to make it better.

Ive been debating on quitting and going back to school to use up my GI bill. I was considering something in the medical field like Med assistant.

Im I crazy to quit this job and not tough it out for the 25-30 years and live a happy life after retirement? Or would I be better off take a pay cut to find something with better hours and lower pay. I barely see anyone or havn't been to a holiday for the 2 years ive worked here. It takes like 10 years to get weekends and holidays off.

thanks for any advice.
See a psychiatrist.

Old 01-09-2017, 04:29 PM

127 posts, read 82,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by education explorer View Post
See a psychiatrist.
Lol thanks

Old 01-09-2017, 05:10 PM

1,104 posts, read 914,981 times
Are there any other opportunities which you could lend your skills and experience? Many people "move up" nowadays by switching companies because theirs isn't offering enough. There are probably many other chances in transit or corporate transportation which you could get a better deal. So if you're miserable, look around, see what the competition is offering.

Old 01-09-2017, 05:12 PM

7,937 posts, read 4,926,916 times
Money doesn't bring happiness if you're slaving away 24/7 for it. . Balance in life does. You won't ever find happiness (unless you truly love your job) with INSANE hours and having to work every holiday.

The grass isn't always greener when you move up if you have to live at work. Life is too short put your life into a company. Especially if they don't give two flying craps for their employees. Which 95 percent of companies do not today

Find a new job and Find a decent paying job for 40 hours a week and enjoy your life. Its much healthier mentally and physically to do your 9-5 and bounce.

I don't see too many happy people working 12-16 hour days. I see miserable people doing that regardless of how much money they are making

Old 01-09-2017, 05:27 PM

44 posts, read 94,652 times
Release yourself from the golden handcuffs- quit. Money isn't worth your health and well-being. I myself am in a somewhat similar situation where I currently work as a consultant and recently received an offer to work for a state government agency. The state job would pay far less, but it would be much less stressful, give me more work-life balance, and would be a more meaningful job for me. I asked around thinking people would be crazy wondering why I would give up a significant pay cut for this, but the response was near unanimous that I should take the new position.

I know that it seems like money is the be all end all, but it really doesn't need to be. If you find a job that you like that allows you to pay the bills and save a little, even if it's less than what you are earning now, then you'll be in a great spot.

Old 01-09-2017, 05:40 PM

22,331 posts, read 47,280,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamPittsburgh View Post

Im I crazy to quit this job and not tough it out for the 25-30 years and live a happy life after retirement?
Actually you are crazy for thinking you can tough it out for 25-30 years THEN be happy.
Life is short, with no guarantees you will even live another 25-30 years.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:26 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,168,145 times
So you want to wait 25-30 years until you're not miserable. That's an awfully long time and an awfully long percentage of your life! My husband has always said, "don't wish your life away". I think you need to find another career.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:34 PM

274 posts, read 251,089 times
Quote:
Im I crazy to quit this job and not tough it out for the 25-30 years and live a happy life after retirement?
No, you are not crazy.

I am in transportation also. I'm sure you know what's happening to transit system pensions and healthcare costs all around the country, in both large systems and small ones.

I was hoping to hang on here until my son graduates from high school in a few months, then find another job. Due to new developments that may not be possible. I'm already filling out applications. I've been working the overnight shift for about eight years, and have about 10 more to go before I'll be able to go on days.

I can't do it, it is taking a toll on my health, and I'm okay with making less in a day job. Good luck to you. There's possibilities nationwide if you're willing to relocate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment