Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 01:09 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
So you are saying someone should search for a answer in a manual 35 mins from closing time??
Doesn't matter what we think.

What does your Manager tell you?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I don't get paid for OT so I have to be gone by 5pm. That's the main reason I try to be done with everything on a friday by 4pm or 4:30pm at the lastest.
Your job ends at 5pm.

Not 4 or 4:30.

You seriously want to be done an hour before your leave?

And you claim your Manager wants to be paid for doing nothing?!

Old 01-14-2017, 01:22 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
continue to ask your boss the questions but phrase it as "hey boss-man, that mail room guy wanted me to ask you...."

Old 01-14-2017, 03:11 PM

1,104 posts, read 918,974 times
Sometimes I think I'm in the Twilight Zone. Here's how it all works:

Whenever a problem comes in, which it does often, everyone ducks and dives. It allows them to give a quick response to the client, but the incompetence of our office will occasionally result in a major incident. This is then escalated to a senior something or other who gets their butt kicked, who in turn kicks another senior butt, until there is a lot of senior butt-kicking which explodes in an office-wide E-mail asking people to work properly for once. Then it all slowly dies down until the next incident.

The consistent, wasteful disruption to service and damage to reputation could have been avoided by someone simply taking responsibility in the first place. The company's response is to not impose any punishments whatsoever. Instead, all teams receive an angry E-mail blaming everyone screaming WHY WHY WHY DID THIS HAPPEN LOOK WHY WHY

First of all, it's collective punishment. Second of all, there's often no definitive scope available for contracts. Finally what do you expect when managers themselves are ducking and diving? Why not make a difference? So I try.

But on a few occasions recently, I've tried to do "the good thing" and step in, and felt the force of some aged problems which had long been travelling an ever-increasing trajectory. I solve them, but it's not a pleasant to deal with and there's never been a reward for it, unless you count a yelling account manager as a reward. Getting hit with the blame forever isn't much of a future.

Old 01-14-2017, 03:16 PM

1,281 posts, read 776,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Your job ends at 5pm.

Not 4 or 4:30.

You seriously want to be done an hour before your leave?

And you claim your Manager wants to be paid for doing nothing?!

When I say done I mean done with the current week's issues and setting everything up for Monday.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:15 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
When I say done I mean done with the current week's issues and setting everything up for Monday.
Well, that is progress. You have posted in the past that you simply stopped work at 4:30 on Fridays and watched the minute hand spin around the dial for a half hour while thinking about your weekend plans.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:18 PM

1,281 posts, read 776,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Well, that is progress. You have posted in the past that you simply stopped work at 4:30 on Fridays and watched the minute hand spin around the dial for a half hour while thinking about your weekend plans.
No the weekend plans waits until I get home since I never know what will pop up in the last 30 mins

Old 01-14-2017, 05:21 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
No the weekend plans waits until I get home since I never know what will pop up in the last 30 mins
Like I said, you are making progress from your previous statements under previous usernames.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Your job is to do the needed priority.

Not your preference.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:27 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
And if something important does come up at 4:55 that will take all of ten minutes to satisfy, what happens then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment