Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2017, 12:09 AM

13,740 posts, read 7,999,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
...the longer she wallows in the unfairness of her circumstances, the deeper she will sink.

Life isn't fair and never has been. I'm old enough to have had life swing both ways. Good and bad.

Now, I like a shoulder to cry on as much as the next person but the blame game won't help. And other people often won't either since they're busy with their own lives.

What I have learned is the more I do myself the more I can do in the future.

I was in Japan and 6 or so years ago there was a bad earthquake. One local man lost his house and restaurant.

What did he do?

He sent his wife and daughter to live with family. Then with a hot plate and seated on a stool he started selling bowls of noodles to workers involved in the relief effort.

Unfortunately, like many people I too enjoying moaning/groaning about poor me before I decide to get off my ass and actually do something. Much easier to do nothing and elicit sympathy about how bad things are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 12:48 AM

37,615 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
You didn't read the post you responded to. It's enough to cover her final expenses. I have no children but I'm going to get a plan that covers my cremation. I don't want that expense put on anyone else to suddenly come up with.
Of course I read it. Covering her final expenses are the very dang last thing SHE needs to be worrying about in her situation. Good grief.

No dependents? You don't need a life insurance policy. Waste of money.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:53 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,026,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Of course I read it. Covering her final expenses are the very dang last thing SHE needs to be worrying about in her situation. Good grief.

She has a dependent which is her son, he is housing her. He works himself not making much $$. There are tensions already in the home as he is a healthy 30 year old living with his mother due to her being in dire straights. She's had two heart attacks and this poor guy whose already bled dry is going to have to deal with her death if she doesn't get prepared at at least a very basic level of preparation.

Life insurance for a 50 year old is VERY CHEAP. She is working in the Medical Field where as it is generally even cheaper. So don't worry about her paying what amounts to a few cups of coffee as a basic level of respect for her kin who has kept her off of the welfare rolls. OR kept her from being as much of a burden at the very least. It's this same lack of preparation that wreaked havok in her own life in the first place.
she needs to ensure she isn't doing so at hear death which could be emminent due to her heart issues. She owes her 30 yr old son that basic level of civility for all he's done for her -and- for us taxpayers

Old 01-15-2017, 01:55 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post

I do. Who is going to pay for me to be cremated? I don't want that burden on my family.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
She has a dependent which is her son, he is housing her. He works himself not making much $$. There are tensions already in the home as he is a healthy 30 year old living with his mother due to her being in dire straights. She's had two heart attacks and this poor guy whose already bled dry is going to have to deal with her death if she doesn't get prepared at at least a very basic level of preparation.

Life insurance for a 50 year old is VERY CHEAP. She is working in the Medical Field where as it is generally even cheaper. So don't worry about her paying what amounts to a few cups of coffee as a basic level of respect for her kin who has kept her off of the welfare rolls. It's this same lack of preparation that wreaked havok in her own life, she needs to ensure she isn't doing so at hear death which could be immenent due to her heart issues. She owes her that basic level of civility for all he's done for her -and- for us taxpayers
Exactly.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:58 AM

Let's all get to some real life solutions for this lady and quit obsessing upon the blame game.
As it relates to her, or life, in general. Thanks

Old 01-15-2017, 02:04 AM

She has to let go of debts, though. I know it hurts her pride and her morals, but in a sit. like this, she has to. And they write them off. Honestly, I live on the same 'net' as she does, and I am able to live on my own. Frugally, but I do it on my own.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
She has to let go of debts, though. I know it hurts her pride and her morals, but in a sit. like this, she has to. And they write them off. Honestly, I live on the same 'net' as she does, and I am able to live on my own. Frugally, but I do it on my own.
wise advive ^^

I think you can still pay back your debts even if you file bankruptsy. It just isn't looming over her head anymore and stops the creditors from hounding her causing more stress. Increasing the risk for another heart attack. She probably can't afford caller IDso answers every call hoping it is an extra shift being offered. When it is often, usually, a creditor

Old 01-15-2017, 04:17 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc1022 View Post
Hello Everyone,
I hope this post is in the right place??? I will try to make this short....

I am a bit older and retired and have a fantastic friend that is a widower, late 40s and her deceased husband had a good middle class job and left NO life insurance ( stupid I know ) well, he passed suddenly and now my friend has to work so, she is a cna/ med tech and only earns 11.50 a hour !!

She was left with a mortgage she couldn't afford, funeral expenses and to make matters worse, she had cancer after he passed its now in remission, but she also has a heart issue and has a heart Holter monitor so she isn't in the greatest of shape but not awful but its a struggle for her.............

I dont think she can get social security disability because she only has worked about 2 years. she earns over poverty level>>>>11.50 x 40= 460>>> 460 x 52 weeks =$23,920 a year thats gross

she nets about $16,900.00 >>> thats after taxes and her health insurance she now has.....

she has bad credit now because of all the bills and her not working when she had her cancer. She lives in a small place with her 30 year old son and really has no where to go...

correction to what we posted below about the car issue

Our family got her a car for $3000 because her other car cost so much to fix and needed over 1000 in work so we got her a new car

shes trying to make good on the past debts and pay all the daily living expenses like food, electric, help with rent and fuel and other things it takes to live.

she also has a $65,000.00 hospital bill and STILL is paying slowly on that and paying off credit cards she had to use when her husband passed away... she is head strong on paying the credit cards and debts even slowly because shes a HONEST person and wants to pay what she owes.. shes just that nice!!!!

My question is what can be done to help her get her own place??? she said she tried for section 8 and food stamps but was told she earns to much. She is basically homeless she cant stay with her son forever she is a true victim of circumstance I feel for her I really do...........

She has no savings, NONE... she had to use it when her husband passed then once that went dry she had to use credit cards............... she is one car repair away from disaster!!! we allow her to use our credit card for car repairs and she pays it EVERY TIME!! she just paid off $1200 that accumulated for car repairs!!!

Is this what america has come to??? I feel helpless!!! she is so stressed, I want to help and we have with several thousand dollars ( not asking for it back) but now we cant do more and if she looses her place with her son because they argue and its not a decent place very dirty and in a bad end of town... before her husband died they were very comfortable and now look.................. any advice on what to do??? she is in the state of Florida...... any advice is appreciated.

I will stop here and not rant on how unfair her wages are.... she works to be poor................. very sad and it seems this is so common!!! I feel terrible for her but cant help anymore than we already do... If we could buy her a house we would!!! but we do not know where to turn and hope you folks that read this may have some good advice................... Thank You...

her parents are deceased and has no family that can help brothers and sisters are struggling too...

very sad .............. I guess this is America...............
I am sorry that your friend is having such a tough time. I would suggest that your friend contact the billing department at the hospital and apply for financial assistance. I cannot believe that no one offered it to her. I fell on hard times and incurred a $2000 bill. When I received the bill, it also included information for financial assistance. I gave them a copy of my pay stubs and the bill went from $2000+ to $200. They even enrolled me in a program where I was able to continue receiving treatment and I only had to pay a $20 copayment. She should also find out if there is any assistance for people with Cancer.

As for a place to live, why doesn't she try to rent a room? The requirements for renting a room are less stringent than renting an apartment.

It is tough when you are sick but she needs to put an action plan together to find a better paying job.

You are a very good friend and I wish her all the best. It is tough out there. Good luck!

Old 01-15-2017, 08:04 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
wise advive ^^

I think you can still pay back your debts even if you file bankruptsy. It just isn't looming over her head anymore and stops the creditors from hounding her causing more stress. Increasing the risk for another heart attack. She probably can't afford caller IDso answers every call hoping it is an extra shift being offered. When it is often, usually, a creditor
Can't afford caller ID? What year is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment