Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 06:29 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times

Advertisements

Do you think you are possessed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 01:48 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
I'm not into escalating small things to the higher authorities right away, this is why I try to find a way to calm her down myself. Headphones is otherwise an option because the boss hates seeing employees wearing them and I don't like listening to anything when I work. Thanks for the advice on how to approach her.
You have a totally valid complaint.

You shouldn't have to wear headphones, she should be told that if she cannot refrain from the noise making while she is wearing headphones, that they will no longer be allowed. Use your authority.

You have said that you work in finance. If she/you are visible to customers, co-workers I think her clapping and shouting would be very off-putting.

Are there cameras in your area....You might suggest your supervisor watch what she does. I think someone should see her and possibly hear her....because I do not care what you are listening too, you have got to maintain professionalism at the work place.

Don't admit that you know she is listening to religious stuff. Keep that element to yourself. But she should not be causing disruptive noise....that defeats the purpose of her using ear phones entirely, and that should be your argument.

I hope that you can get the head phones banned....they do not belong in office settings imo......unless it relates to answering the phone.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:28 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,985 times
If I start complaining to my (our) boss, she will be fired at the spot. He is fed up with her relatively low quality of work. We live in the area well-known for a deficit of qualified people. Training a new person at the year-end would be a disaster. Yesterday she asked me to correct her error (that she repeated twice and didn't want to correct for the third time; I refused, and she asked why. I told her I have enough of my own work. Today I found out she didn't follow the essential procedure and we have no financial data from one of the sources, so I can't produce monthly financials on time. I scolded her via email without copying the boss. She answered with one word - "Acknowledged" and kept sighing all day. All day. But was otherwise quiet (thanks God!).
She would be fired two months ago if I agreed with our boss' wishes. She is a minority, she has anxiety issue (who doesn't?), she has VA to back her up, she is a racist of her color, but she lost her child, so I feel for her and try to make her work (she is capable, but lazy and not attentive) instead of letting her get fired. And this noise on the top of everything.
I told my boss that she id pissed off because I scolded her (I didn't tell him the details), he literally said "f... it," and he is a west-coast totally normal guy. She accuses him in racism even though he has a photo of his daughter with the boyfriend of color on his desk. Oh how tired I am. Yes, next time on her noisy day I'll ask her to calm down, openly and straightforwardly. No, I won't wear headphones. Yes, it's non-professional to wear them at the workplace where you interact with others.
But she also eats very smelly foods three time a day starting at 8 am, daily, sometimes it's so bad that my eyes sting. I ask her to take it to the break room, but she doesn't want to go there because then everybody will see how often she takes breaks. I swear this is all truth. Yes, it is finally a full-blown rant, sorry. No, she doesn't interact with customers, but she also doesn't interact with counterparts she is supposed to interact with, including people from other locations from whom she needs info. Instead, she waits, and waits, and waits, and since she has things to do (listen to the psalms) she is totally not proactive.
Thank you for advice and for listening. I would appreciate additional advice and sharing your experience of dealing with people who not only do bad job but also interfere with others' work.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:44 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
I would tell her

"Hey, sorry to interrupt you, but I have a hard time concentrating with your singing and clapping behind me. Can you please not do that anymore? The noise needs to stop starting today."

"And by the way, please reduce the food on your desk to break times"

"Thanks"

Friendly but firm.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:52 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,259,079 times
I think you have been more patient than I could ever be. When people make startling noises at work it's so disruptive: hand-clapping? Are you serious? I.d be in the looney bin by now.
Depending on your company size and set-up either speak to her aside or tt someone in strict confidence as to whom to take it to up the ladder.
Shouting religious affirmations at work unfortunately is rather declasse. And I.m rather religious and spiritual.

Old 01-14-2017, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I would tell her

"Hey, sorry to interrupt you, but I have a hard time concentrating with your singing and clapping behind me. Can you please not do that anymore? The noise needs to stop starting today.".
Thank you. I can do this and I will. But yesterday I scolded her because he failed to follow a procedure discussed multiple times, and she kept quiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
"And by the way, please reduce the food on your desk to break times".

This is outside of my area of responsibility/authority.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
I think you have been more patient than I could ever be. When people make startling noises at work it's so disruptive: hand-clapping? Are you serious? I.d be in the looney bin by now.
Depending on your company size and set-up either speak to her aside or tt someone in strict confidence as to whom to take it to up the ladder.
Shouting religious affirmations at work unfortunately is rather declasse. And I.m rather religious and spiritual.
It is even not about religion. Sometimes we talk about religion, and it is very interesting for me, but it happens when we both simultaneously decide to take a break from work. When one of us is totally engulfed in what she is doing, others should not create so much interruption. I don't care what she listens, sometime it's jazz, but she still reacts to commercials with laughter, for example, or with exclamations like "OMG!" - what I'm supposed to do when I hear it? Ask her what's up? A hundred times a day get distracted for nothing interesting, meaningful, just to chat with her? I'm not here for chatting.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:08 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,189,508 times
Quote:
She would be fired two months ago if I agreed with our boss' wishes. She is a minority, she has anxiety issue (who doesn't?), she has VA to back her up, she is a racist of her color, but she lost her child, so I feel for her and try to make her work (she is capable, but lazy and not attentive) instead of letting her get fired. And this noise on the top of everything.
What is wrong with you! Your boss wants to get rid of a poor performer and you want to keep her because it's too much trouble to train a new one. Pull the bandaid off and get rid of her. It's going to happen. The sooner the better so you can move on.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
What is wrong with you! Your boss wants to get rid of a poor performer and you want to keep her because it's too much trouble to train a new one. Pull the bandaid off and get rid of her. It's going to happen. The sooner the better so you can move on.

Boss already asked me will I be able to get over her firing. It looks it's inevitable.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:33 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Quote:
Boss already asked me will I be able to get over her firing. It looks it's inevitable.
What a stupid question to ask. I'd have said, oh my heavens no, I don't think I will ever get over it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment