Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 09:17 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,497,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysladkaya View Post
Does the company have a formal probation policy? Usually, there is a 90 or sometimes, even 180 or a full year probationary period which means that during this period, you better tiptoe and try not to do anything to jeopardize your job. Being out sick on Monday and then again on Wednesday does not look good, I am telling you this as a manager, and this is especially bad in a case when you don't have a track record with the company. Your best bet right now would be to schedule a meeting with the manager and say "Look, I am aware of the company policy and feel bad about taking two sick days in one week. I wish that I could avoid that. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to ensure that our team does not fall behind due to this absence. I am willing to stay later this and next week to make up the missed hours/work."
Probation periods like that are just ridiculous. I've been in a few companies like that that would put new hires on a 90 day probation and then make ridiculous policies they had to follow of they would be terminated. One company would fire anyone that missed a day during probation, even if they were literally dying or something. I'm surprised they haven't been sued yet, because that just doesn't seem right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 09:28 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,235,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
So, a new employee gets hit by a car, ends up in a coma for a week, then calls in would be fired? That's pretty heartless. Or, employee's parent dies in another state and needs a week to sort out arrangements and such, would result in firing? Again, heartless.
It has nothing to do with being heartless, it has to do with work needing to be done. Some companies wouldnt fire, and some would. I know someone can't help being hit by a car, but a company can't help needing an employee to actually be there to work. Especially new employees.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:03 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,955,121 times
Quote:
One company would fire anyone that missed a day during probation, even if they were literally dying or something.
If you are "literally dying" being fired would be the least of your concerns, don't you think?

Old 01-18-2017, 11:21 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
That's a lot of missing days for only being 3.5 months into your job.
Most employers ask if a new hire has any previously made plans that they will need time off for. If they didn't like it, they wouldn't have hired her.

The other two issues are unavoidable. People can't help someone dying or being sick. I understand that employers need the work done, but until robots replace humans, crap is going to happen.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:41 AM

2,007 posts, read 1,274,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingSummer View Post
Hi,

On Monday I got very ill with food poisoning. I got so sick and so dehydrated I had to get IV fluids yesterday at the hospital. I'm out sick from work again today and I got a very icy email from my manager. I get the feeling I may get canned or I could just be paranoid. I haven't been there long - since early October.

I don't want to go into all the specifics about the email but I provided a medical note the first day I was out and then last night she demanded a note for the remaining days I have been sick. I was also emailed a note about "company policy" when calling out sick. I found the email to be very cold and uncaring. I'm definitely not in a position to be at work the last few days unless they want an employee puking all over the floor.

This left me with a very bad feeling about the company. How do I handle this when I return?
Anymore, if at all possible, try to get all of the sickdays out of you before starting a new job. Sounds like you are there just a few months at this point. I have seen other people in the same situation come to work , no matter how sick. Only exception was a mgr who took a fall on his motorbike, broke a leg and still came to work within a couple of days.

Things like colds, flus and the venerable stomach bug are never excuses, when new, to take off work. It does not look good any way you put it. Now, if you provided a sick note to show you have something far more serious wrong then take the day off, take the week off , you need to do so.

Sorry to say it, but mgrs have heard the "food poisoning" story a million times before. So annoying to deal with and impossible to verify for fact. Unless we get into the whole "do you want see my shirt after I had my first puke, or do you want to see my bathroom with the vomit allover the sink ". That sort of thing. For any employee of mine, new to the job, now into the sick stomach guessing game is not a good starter for future good relations. For you, from what you wrote, " unless they want an employee puking allover the floor", sounds to me like you are already fed up with the company. Then taking a few more days off to avoid puking at work, sounds like a lame excuse for not owning up to either not liking the job/company or feeling like you want to find something else.

Always remember, the workplace is the mgr's house so to speak. They are already discussing you at length as a new employee there. They might even chuckle a bit when hearing about the food poisoning bout , going on for days now. If I was your mgr, a medical note from your doctor for every day sick with stomach issues would be required. See, it is far too easy to foist the "sick stomach" excuse on the company when not really feeling like going to work. Where does it all stop?. Maybe going to work in spite , then quite by accident having a puking episode in the office , then telling everyone "I told you so , I am really sick now" .

Best advice for you if you want to work there. Consult with your doctor on what is ailing you. Do some tests , blood even, as most stomach bugs last for a day or so. Yours is going on for quite some time. When you find out what is wrong, write to your boss explaining the situation , with proof from your doctor as to the nature of your illness. Be cooperative and understand you are still new and must show you are willing to go that extra step for your job. Right now you are not. Better to do some revaluation before the boss decides you might be surplus to requirements if this behavior continues.

Lastly, getting the official policy on sick days emailed to you by the boss is not good at all.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:11 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,186,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
Most employers ask if a new hire has any previously made plans that they will need time off for. If they didn't like it, they wouldn't have hired her.

The other two issues are unavoidable. People can't help someone dying or being sick. I understand that employers need the work done, but until robots replace humans, crap is going to happen.
Indeed, and part of that crap is that there are finger-on-the-trigger human bosses. And this is also something "people can't help." It's just as much a part of the landscape as food poisoning and funerals.

So, alas, a touchy, unreasonable boss can be part of the crap that is going to happen.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:48 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,706,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
Sorry to say it, but mgrs have heard the "food poisoning" story a million times before. So annoying to deal with and impossible to verify for fact.
Did you not see that the OP stated she has medical documentation of her illness by a doctor?

Old 01-18-2017, 04:58 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,405,781 times
Businesses want are people who stay healthy and available to do their job.

Documentation is common, but do not avoid the disruption of missing staff.

Ive worked with some who never missed a day in decades of a career. Some people are prone to health issues some are not guess who has the advantage.

Genetics, how much rest one gets, other life style choices can impact health. Documentation of being gone can be faked and even if its not the employee missed work. Having a great excuse doesnt get the job done. Harsh but true

Old 01-18-2017, 05:04 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,788,264 times
OP was in hospital. I'd take this to HR.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:07 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,788,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
usually food poisoning is out of your system within a day. Maybe the boss doesn't believe you?
But Norovirus isn't. And that is going around right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment