Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 03:52 PM

403 posts, read 619,770 times

Advertisements

The op comes off as feeling exceptionally entitled - like the world and the new employer owe them something. I'm sure this comes across to his/her boss. A little humility would probably solve the situation - but instead s/he comes onto City Data looking to draw pity from strangers. Might not be fair to fire them for this set of facts, but unless the OP has an attitude change it's only a matter of time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 06:13 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteATL41 View Post
The op comes off as feeling exceptionally entitled - like the world and the new employer owe them something. I'm sure this comes across to his/her boss. A little humility would probably solve the situation - but instead s/he comes onto City Data looking to draw pity from strangers. Might not be fair to fire them for this set of facts, but unless the OP has an attitude change it's only a matter of time...
At one of the banks I worked for hiring wasn't the call of one person. The immediate supervisor had input, but HR and upper level management had more weight.

So, occasionally we had a hire who our boss couldn't stand. So yeah, that week vacation negotiated for and received which no one seemed to mind? Counted against her. Funeral? Counted against her. And sickness? Third strike. Because in reality the boss started looking to get rid of her from the first step this employee took into the building.

Makes me SO glad I'm self employed and nearing retirement....

Old 01-20-2017, 09:30 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
The way I read the first post was that the OP was in the hospital on Monday, made it to work on Tuesday and then called in sick again on Wednesday. Did I misinterpret this?

In any case, as someone else stated, "food poisoning" is probably the most misused excuse that managers and supervisors hear, so most probably tend to be jaded about it. I know I usually automatically think, 'yeah, right' when I hear this tired excuse trotted out yet again. I don't doubt that the OP's ailment was legit, especially if s/he ended up hospitalized, however, if someone is a very new employee and is so far not impressing their manager, there could likely be a lack of sympathy, particularly if this not the first absence, regardless of arrangements. If the new employee has made an impressive start, they are more likely to be given some latitude.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:20 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
I guess we are never going to hear from this new poster again. Wonder if she got fired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment