Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 09:57 AM

7 posts, read 11,771 times

Advertisements

Hi,

On Monday I got very ill with food poisoning. I got so sick and so dehydrated I had to get IV fluids yesterday at the hospital. I'm out sick from work again today and I got a very icy email from my manager. I get the feeling I may get canned or I could just be paranoid. I haven't been there long - since early October.

I don't want to go into all the specifics about the email but I provided a medical note the first day I was out and then last night she demanded a note for the remaining days I have been sick. I was also emailed a note about "company policy" when calling out sick. I found the email to be very cold and uncaring. I'm definitely not in a position to be at work the last few days unless they want an employee puking all over the floor.

This left me with a very bad feeling about the company. How do I handle this when I return?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 10:02 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
What does the company policy say regarding being sick?

Are you new at your company? If new, you could be in trouble. Unfortunate but true.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
What does the company policy say regarding being sick?

Are you new at your company? If new, you could be in trouble. Unfortunate but true.
I guess I'm new since I have only been there since October 1st.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:18 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,103,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingSummer View Post
How much time have you been out since Oct? Did you follow the company protocol when calling in? It seems odd that the facts, as you presented them, would result in termination - or even the manager's response. I suspect there is more to the story.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
How much time have you been out since Oct? Did you follow the company protocol when calling in? It seems odd that the facts, as you presented them, would result in termination - or even the manager's response. I suspect there is more to the story.
Yes I was out as I had a prior planned vacation - it was approved upon being hired. I also had a day out for my grandfathers funeral.

694 posts, read 1,203,139 times
Does the company have a formal probation policy? Usually, there is a 90 or sometimes, even 180 or a full year probationary period which means that during this period, you better tiptoe and try not to do anything to jeopardize your job. Being out sick on Monday and then again on Wednesday does not look good, I am telling you this as a manager, and this is especially bad in a case when you don't have a track record with the company. Your best bet right now would be to schedule a meeting with the manager and say "Look, I am aware of the company policy and feel bad about taking two sick days in one week. I wish that I could avoid that. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to ensure that our team does not fall behind due to this absence. I am willing to stay later this and next week to make up the missed hours/work."

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingSummer View Post
And my other question? Most places have rules about how much you can call in, especially during your first few months and if you are sick, it is what it is. Might not be fair but others abusing it are what caused it to become a rule.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysladkaya View Post
Does the company have a formal probation policy? Usually, there is a 90 or sometimes, even 180 or a full year probationary period which means that during this period, you better tiptoe and try not to do anything to jeopardize your job. Being out sick on Monday and then again on Wednesday does not look good, I am telling you this as a manager, and this is especially bad in a case when you don't have a track record with the company. Your best bet right now would be to schedule a meeting with the manager and say "Look, I am aware of the company policy and feel bad about taking two sick days in one week. I wish that I could avoid that. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to ensure that our team does not fall behind due to this absence. I am willing to stay later this and next week to make up the missed hours/work."
It is 90 days. I'm not going to apologize for getting sick as its not within my control. I'm a human being, not a robot.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
And my other question? Most places have rules about how much you can call in, especially during your first few months and if you are sick, it is what it is. Might not be fair but others abusing it are what caused it to become a rule.
I was not told of any rules about being sick. I have pretty legit illness and medical paperwork to back it up.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:36 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
I was a supervisor for many years before retiring. I always expected new employees to get sick because the stress of any new job can affect one's immunity. But not all supervisors are like that.

Have you made a point of working overtime (without pay) to make up some of your missed time? Even if your workload doesnt require that, it shows your boss that you care about your job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment