Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 01:01 PM

52 posts, read 39,185 times

Advertisements

Reading the threads on this forum has been very entertaining and enlightening.

Personally I've benefited from some advice from the very wise here. I thought it'd be nice for folks to share tips which have helped them at work (and those probably translate to life as well).

Here are some tips that have served me well throughout the years, to the point where I'm working my dream job, my work is no longer work, and I don't have to worry / stress about things all the time.

1. You're always an entrepreneur. Never see yourself as just an employee. Someone else may pay your salary, but you work for yourself, first and foremost. That means constantly building your skills, knowledge, experience, to improve you as a person, no matter how much or how little you get paid.

2. Communication matters, a lot. You may be a highly trained / educated expert, but if your communication skills suck chances are you'll make far less than someone who is less trained but can communicate better than you. Focus on improving your communication skills - toastmasters, writing articles, etc. Everything helps.

3. If you're a manager, you're not there to rule over your sub-ordinates. Your job is to make your team successful. A "bully" mentality will get you fired, beaten up, or thrown out faster than anything. Deal with non-performers, but your #1 goal is to make your team successful and better.

4. Never stop learning, about anything. I don't waste time watching mindless TV or meaningless social media. If I have to relax, I watch educational and fascinating content, documentaries, never fiction. I leave fiction to my kids, but I want my mind to be continuously learning even when I'm on downtime. I've had so many ideas come to me during downtime that I've been able to use them at work and become well rewarded for it.

5. Stay fit, take care of yourself. I workout daily. Your mind is only as sharp as your physical condition. I keep a fit body because it keeps my mind fit...and I can be 2 steps ahead of most other people who are dealing with sluggish and reduce mental conditions due to not taking care of their body. Your health / mind is your #1 asset. Take care of it.

These are my personal tips.

Would love to hear other people's tips that have got them real success and happiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 01:24 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,435,874 times
6. Retire early (or now)

Old 01-11-2017, 01:27 PM

52 posts, read 39,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
6. Retire early (or now)
LOL nice. I consider myself already retired, as I don't work every day (meaning my work is not the dreaded "work" that most fear), but get paid more than most people who work a lot more than I do.

Truth be told, I'll probably never retire. It's too much fun to have work challenges. There's a TED talk where a 93 year old guy said he'll never retire. It keeps the mind sharp.

The day that I have a "retirement" mentality, is the day I'll quit my job and find something else to do.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:05 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,143,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
6. Retire early (or now)
We can probably tie that in with number 1....planning etc.

Thanks, OP. Good insight

Old 01-11-2017, 03:23 PM

7,937 posts, read 4,929,442 times
From what I have seen 10 years in the private sector the most important things are:

1. Network Network Network and become friends with people who can help your career. There isn't anything more important than this in the business world. There are plenty of people probably more qualified, educated, and knowledgable than those in key positions whether it be management, technical side, sales that just NEVER get the chance because they aren't friends with certain people. Well connected people can screw everything up, do nothing all day and they still have a job for life and granted blanket immunity from any and all responsibility.

2. Its been said on here many times but it rings true. Its better to FAIL as part of the team than SUCCEED on your own. This represents a non-conformist attitude vs. a conformist attitude which is. more important than getting the job done and bringing value.

3. Luck out at birth being the child of successful business people (unfortunately, there isn't much control over that)

Oh sure hard work and value gets noticed. You know what getting noticed does? Gets more work thrown on you that you can't even handle and/or puts a bullseye on your back with a load of resentment directed towards you because people don't have your knowledge or work ethic and it when it comes time for layoffs? Bye bye (Thats If you don't get fed up and quit before) . Most managers despise workers that know more than they do and who put their work ethic to shame.

If you want to succeed in the corporate world:

1. Be lazy or do just barely enough to get by (make other idiots pick up the slack for you)

2. Don't look too smart and knowledgable.

3. And don't go "rogue" or "lone wolf" so to speak and take initiative and succeed on your own. Bosses hate that deep down even if they provide window dressing that "you're a real go-getter"

Its a DAMN SHAME that schools do not teach the kids the hard, sad realities of the business world.. Schools/Parents etc. still preach some archaic crap that merit still exists. No it doesn't.

Id much rather school teach the kids things that really matter than WILL positively impact your career. Like "Buttkissing 101" "Nepotism 102" "Cronyism 103" Not this merit base system of "going above and beyond crap".

And hell the way the private sector is today, its hard enough to even get your foot in the door to get any experience. If you don't do/ have anything of the things listed you may never even get your out in the door. When you have 1,000 people applying to every 1 measily position. The Chances are slim those openings will NOT go to someone who wasn't referred by a friend of family member.

Merit may exist once again when/IF it isn't an employer's market and the power is put back into the hands of the applicant. They will have no choice. . But its been one for a very long time now. They call the shots. And they want friends and relatives there. Or potential friends or "good little boys and mindless drones" . The last thing they want is someone who's going to come in and start kicking butt and taking names.

Last edited by DorianRo; 01-11-2017 at 03:46 PM..

Old 01-11-2017, 04:20 PM

43 posts, read 36,691 times
"Already Retired"

Nothing more to add

Old 01-11-2017, 04:42 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,615,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
From what I have seen 10 years in the private sector the most important things are:

1. Network Network Network and become friends with people who can help your career. There isn't anything more important than this in the business world. There are plenty of people probably more qualified, educated, and knowledgable than those in key positions whether it be management, technical side, sales that just NEVER get the chance because they aren't friends with certain people. Well connected people can screw everything up, do nothing all day and they still have a job for life and granted blanket immunity from any and all responsibility.

2. Its been said on here many times but it rings true. Its better to FAIL as part of the team than SUCCEED on your own. This represents a non-conformist attitude vs. a conformist attitude which is. more important than getting the job done and bringing value.

3. Luck out at birth being the child of successful business people (unfortunately, there isn't much control over that)

Oh sure hard work and value gets noticed. You know what getting noticed does? Gets more work thrown on you that you can't even handle and/or puts a bullseye on your back with a load of resentment directed towards you because people don't have your knowledge or work ethic and it when it comes time for layoffs? Bye bye (Thats If you don't get fed up and quit before) . Most managers despise workers that know more than they do and who put their work ethic to shame.

If you want to succeed in the corporate world:

1. Be lazy or do just barely enough to get by (make other idiots pick up the slack for you)

2. Don't look too smart and knowledgable.

3. And don't go "rogue" or "lone wolf" so to speak and take initiative and succeed on your own. Bosses hate that deep down even if they provide window dressing that "you're a real go-getter"

Its a DAMN SHAME that schools do not teach the kids the hard, sad realities of the business world.. Schools/Parents etc. still preach some archaic crap that merit still exists. No it doesn't.

Id much rather school teach the kids things that really matter than WILL positively impact your career. Like "Buttkissing 101" "Nepotism 102" "Cronyism 103" Not this merit base system of "going above and beyond crap".

And hell the way the private sector is today, its hard enough to even get your foot in the door to get any experience. If you don't do/ have anything of the things listed you may never even get your out in the door. When you have 1,000 people applying to every 1 measily position. The Chances are slim those openings will NOT go to someone who wasn't referred by a friend of family member.

Merit may exist once again when/IF it isn't an employer's market and the power is put back into the hands of the applicant. They will have no choice. . But its been one for a very long time now. They call the shots. And they want friends and relatives there. Or potential friends or "good little boys and mindless drones" . The last thing they want is someone who's going to come in and start kicking butt and taking names.
If the only thing you ever have to add is how terrible work is, you should really stop trying to give others advice. You are your own worst enemy when it comes to work because of the mindset you have. Please stop attempting to infect others with the same poor attitude because misery loves company. Either perform, or fail. That simple.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:47 PM

902 posts, read 744,190 times
Read "A Message to Garcia" will change yo life

Old 01-11-2017, 08:56 PM

6,972 posts, read 4,829,614 times
My tips:

Be prepared to kiss butt. Every butt that is higher than yours.

NEVER let anyone know anything about your home life. NEVER mix work and your real life.

Always use an alias on the computer.

Get two phones and use one number for work only. Make sure that phone is turned off on your off time.

Never state an opinion at work on anything. Just be agreeable and smile.

Pretend your heart is in the job and pretend to have enthusiasm for Come to Jesus meetings.

If your manager is an idiot, do things the better way (not his way) and then make it out to be his idea when you succeed.

Be reliable, don't be a mover and shaker (that makes upper management feel threatened).

Pretend you're in the army; never volunteer for anything.

Park as far away from your manager and co-workers as you can, so they don't know what kind of car you drive.

Do what you have to do at work competently, quickly, and cheerfully (even when you want to kill someone), and a little more when you deem it necessary.

If customers are involved, understand that when it comes to you vs the customer, the manager will back the customer every time even if you're being verbally abused, so don't be upset about it. Also, most customers are strange and/or stupid, but help them anyway. They make good stories to tell your friends.

Remember not to make your boss or your co-workers into your friends. And along with that, you may not want to socialize off work with either.

Remember, the company does not care about you. You are a debit on the company balance books. Don't make the mistake of falling in love with a company that will never reciprocate your emotion.

Did I forget anything?

Old 01-12-2017, 06:56 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,874,843 times
Foster your own critical thinking skills and learn to think for yourself.

Don't have a job that requires you do something you would NOT do in your personal life. Your morality matters, your paycheck does not.

Understand that they can fire you .... but you can also quit. Be loyal to yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment