Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 09:40 AM

6,451 posts, read 9,812,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Are you capable of doing your job? Are the criticisms justified...do you make a lot of mistakes?

I don't think it's fair to keep a poorly performing employee....it's bad for morale of the rest of the staff.

If you cannot do your job in a competent manner, you should look for another job.

I agree, let someone else have the opportunity to work instead of crying in the cubicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 12:01 PM

981 posts, read 899,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Have your medical items discussed, in writing, with your HR department, and have a sit down with any health Services they have, so it is very clear of your medical condition. This will cover any sick day you may take, due to your condition.

Then re evaluate what constructive criticism is. Constructive criticism is a critique of how you perform your job, with discretion and privacy, with out humiliating you, or using offensive language. It has to be positive.

Your co workers are not your boss, you don't have to answer to them, if they are making you un comfortable. Someone is there to check your work, and talk to you if you are messing up. That person is your supervisor or manager.

If this is a nit picking situation, or a micro managing situation, where a co worker thinks they know everything, you need to nip that in the but now. I know there could be old timers, that rely on there own process, and make it their mission for everyone to think their way. If that is the case, you can get the Supervisor involved. Some times, co workers prey on obviously stressed out co workers , because it feeds their ego.

Stay strong and continue with your therapy, you do need to stay employed, and if this is bothering you so much, speak up! things may get better.
I've worked for big companies my entire life and normally I would say NEVER go to HR. But I agree with this post, this situation is different and it might be in your best interest to make HR aware of your situation, since you have a real medical condition that is a protected class. I would not make this HR discussion primarily about your problems with co-workers, I would position it as making them aware of the situation and some of the challenges you face, you are getting medical treatment, and you want to be a successful employee and will do what it takes to make that happen. Where I'm not sure is if HR would have to report this to your manager, and not sure if that even is a totally bad thing, but you definitely need to have this documented to protect yourself. And good for you acknowledging your issue and trying to fix it, so many people just put the blame on everyone else.

Old 01-13-2017, 12:14 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Someone explain how autism is an illness... its not going to "get better" later on. And how does it interfere with taking criticism

Its like saying having one leg is an illness... and because he has one leg, he cant be called out for poor performance? Sure give him a chair to sit in, but if he cant do the job, he cant do it

Sounds like op wants a free pass for "something" and choose autism for it because its "cool" to blame it on it in todays environment

Old 01-13-2017, 02:56 PM

981 posts, read 899,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Someone explain how autism is an illness... its not going to "get better" later on. And how does it interfere with taking criticism

Its like saying having one leg is an illness... and because he has one leg, he cant be called out for poor performance? Sure give him a chair to sit in, but if he cant do the job, he cant do it

Sounds like op wants a free pass for "something" and choose autism for it because its "cool" to blame it on it in todays environment
Not necessarily an illness, but a disability. I'm no expert, but my understanding was that the medical community does attribute autism, at least partially, to a genetic cause. As a result, autism is a condition covered by the ADA, so the employee has certain rights with the ADA and the employer is liable if they do provide the right level of support and consideration of this employee's challenges with their condition.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:03 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Why? The OP doesn't want time off.

"The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) entitles eligible employees of covered employers to take unpaid, job-protected leave for specified family and medical reasons."

https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs28.htm

I know what FMLA is for. The OP needs to take steps to protect him/herself in case a firing is on the horizon.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:06 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
My question is: can I just tell coworkers to go to my supervisor if they have any complaints/issues with me? It's so I don't have to hear all of them (I doubt my supervisor would bother coming to me about every one)
Huh? I'd much rather someone tell me to my face. If they just go behind my back to a supervisor, I don't have a chance to defend myself.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:49 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,996,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post

I agree

Old 01-13-2017, 09:46 PM

783 posts, read 576,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
I've posted in the past about my difficulty handling criticism. Lately, I've had it more difficult go of it (crying at my desk while doing my best to not let it be known I'm doing as such), likely due to personal family problems and their stress on me.

My question is: can I just tell coworkers to go to my supervisor if they have any complaints/issues with me? It's so I don't have to hear all of them (I doubt my supervisor would bother coming to me about every one) but I wouldn't say as much to coworkers. My supervisor knows something about my difficulties handling criticism but nothing regarding my family problems as I wasn't sure it was best to bring those up at work.
My question is, why are there so many criticisms of you and your work? If this is something that is happening constantly, maybe you need to look at your work product itself and try to make that better so there are fewer complaints.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:00 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaucka View Post
Not necessarily an illness, but a disability. I'm no expert, but my understanding was that the medical community does attribute autism, at least partially, to a genetic cause. As a result, autism is a condition covered by the ADA
Not quite. The ADA covers all people with DISABILITIES, regardless of how they came to have that disability. It could be from a genetic disorder, mental condition, accident, whatever.

If you have a disability, the ADA says a workplace must provide reasonable accommodations but the employee MUST make the request, and the request MUST be reasonable.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:33 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,094 times
What is your expectation?

A common trait of Autism is rigidity and misunderstood social communication. A "reasonable accomodation" (I can't imagine this even falls under ADA - reasonable solution?) would be asking a co-worker to write you a polite email and solution/expectation, rather than come and bark at you. Reporting all criticism to your boss is not reasonable, you're now starting to impede your boss' daily work.

I sympathize with you but an Autism diagnosis does not protect you from having to engage in normal social interaction. "Co workers shouldn't be allowed to talk to me unless it's nice"? No. People at all end of the spectrum can be taught this skill, I've done it myself for my son. It took years, but it can be done. You would benefit far more from behavioral therapy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment