Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 10:45 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,805 times

Advertisements

I can tell you from many different jobs I have encountered, someone is picked before they even post the job. Perhaps they follow seniority? perhaps she has already been groomed for the job? perhaps she has a big hook some where in the company? Perhaps she is the biggest snitch, and needs to be compensated? too many variable...

nothing is black and white, written in stone. I had a bad situation myself, where I was over qualified, had all the right certifications and licensing, the right years of experience, and in demand, but the old timers would not move out of their position, and I would have to go outside and transfer to get ahead. They will promote propaganda about advancement, and fair hiring and promotion processes, to abide by law, but do whatever they feel like doing.

What I would suggest is to stick it out, don't kill yourself to perfection, and do not volunteer extra work. Look for a new job, go in where you want to be at, do not take less. If you cant or dont want to work a certain day, be firm when you interview. Employers do not really care about anyone but themselves!

After all , when moving from on job to another, does anyone ever call you to see how you are doing? Is there ever an offer after you leave? It is doggie dog out there, so just think about your self. Promotions wont fall in your lap because you are a hard worker, but does fall in your lap when you agree with the right people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 11:04 PM

472 posts, read 438,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
That right there is the issue. You aren't a fun employee. Work is a big social club. Never mind that you add value, are hard working, and dependable work is all about having fun and introversion is worse than drinking on the job.
Yup. And it's not just private employers. I work for the government and it's the same as the OP described.

Could the OP look into discrimination on any basis? Maybe he/she has a disability or something that could be leveraged when it's obvious to the OP that they are being screwed by their employer.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:53 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,674,044 times
Well, one thing I have learned is - life is unfair. It is full of those with different psychological leanings, flaws, reasonings, motivations - not a set, logical, fair approach or outlook, so it is baffling. All you can do is maintain being a good, honest, hardworking person and if you are treated poorly... well, I figure the others will get it back one day. Sorry.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:06 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Welcome to contemporary corporate America . The wrong person generally always gets promoted. Why? Hiring managers want butt kissers, drinking buddies, potential love interests. Who cares about hiring a quality candidate that can bring value today?

The result? Long term destruction to companies they will ultimately never bounce back from
https://www.eeoc.gov/policy/docs/harassment.html
Quote:
Examples of tangible employment actions include:
hiring and firing;
promotion and failure to promote;
demotion;31
undesirable reassignment;
a decision causing a significant change in benefits;
compensation decisions; and
work assignment.
failure to promote falls under EEO/law as a tangible employment action...

not sure why people harp on lack of merit on this board

not saying op falls under this, i agree with rabrrita on this case, the other person may be more qualified/better suited for the job, as we only get one side and a biased one at that

Old 01-13-2017, 04:52 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue17 View Post

"Do you have any concerns?"

... Well, yeah, why is the girl who is never there and does the bare minimum getting the promotion and pay raise?
... You also gave me a 2 out of 3 for 'meets daily procedures requirements'. Why? I do every single task. Every single day. A 2 does not make sense.

You didn't clarify what the ratings mean - But just assuming that 1 = below expectation, 2 = at, and 3 = above;

What you just said is exactly a two. Basically - you've done what is expected of you.

As for the "wrong" person being promoted. This is life. Promotions are given based on various subjective reasons (tenure, results, experience, personal, etc.). Perhaps she is sleeping with the manager, or maybe she's been working on something you have no knowledge of. But the bottom line is that you play zero part in that decision - so the best thing for you to do is to just let it go as you have no control over it.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:59 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
You've only been at this business for 4 months. I'd suggest staying longer for your own benefit (potential employers don't like to see pattern of short stints of working). Keep your head down, continue your hard work. If after another 4 to 6 months, you see more bad management practices, then you should start looking for another job.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:25 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Welcome to contemporary corporate America . The wrong person generally always gets promoted. Why? Hiring managers want butt kissers, drinking buddies, potential love interests. Who cares about hiring a quality candidate that can bring value today?

The result? Long term destruction to companies they will ultimately never bounce back from
We had an interview candidate in our HR department; since most in our department were involved in the interviewing process we were able to compare candidates.

One in particular played her role perfectly: complimenting our manager from the get-go and saying all the right things to keep said manager on a pedestal. She was obviously the manager's choice and offered the position.

Our newbie was exceptional at climbing her ladder and even though her work ethics and quality of work were average, she was promoted three times in a two year period and her salary increased 30% (unfortunately I had access to all payroll information). As far as interpersonal skills, it was a loss because the only person she was pleasant to was our manager.

It most often truly is "who you know".

Old 01-13-2017, 08:55 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
I started a new job about four months ago.
Four months and you think you are entitled to be promoted ?
And you think you more deserving than people who have been there longer?
Geez.....

Quote:
This happened to me at my last job, too.
Then maybe you are not as qualified as you think.

Quote:
When the "wrong" person keeps getting promoted...
Companies promote who they feel is the "right" person. Maybe if you stick around longer and do more (not just enough to get a "2") to make yourself stand out, your promotion will come.

What is your job title?

Old 01-13-2017, 08:57 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
Maybe he/she has a disability or something that could be leveraged when it's obvious to the OP that they are being screwed by their employer.
::::sheesh::::

No one is getting screwed.

Maybe they need to work longer than 4 months and harder than 'at expectation'.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:29 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Four months and you think you are entitled to be promoted ?
And you think you more deserving than people who have been there longer?
Geez.....

Then maybe you are not as qualified as you think.

Companies promote who they feel is the "right" person. Maybe if you stick around longer and do more (not just enough to get a "2") to make yourself stand out, your promotion will come.

What is your job title?
You usually don't even really know your job until you are in it at least 6 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment