Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 10:42 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,473,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You usually don't even really know your job until you are in it at least 6 months.
probation lasts a year or more...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 01:22 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,680,035 times
Quote:
I started a new job about four months ago. Initially, I applied for a position with the company that was in-sync with the type of work I was already doing, but during the interview they said that nobody can start out in that position without first having some experience working with the company. They offered me an administrative support/customer support position, and I accepted at a bit of a higher rate than their offering.

Quote:
We had performance reviews this week. I was prepared for, "we don't think you're ready quite yet, perhaps a bit more training and at the six month review we can discuss a promotion." What I was NOT prepared for was: "we are going to promote [insert coworkers name] because she is next up for it. You will be flying solo for a while because she will be training."
Quote:
I can't really afford to quit my job right now, but I'm on the verge just because, judging by past experiences, I can already see that I'm just another guinea pig who they have no intentions of promoting. It's hard for me to wrap my head around the why's here. I am looking for another job, but it's exhausting. I'm tired of running into the same thing every time.
You are angry that you did not get a promotion after only being their 4 months, and you knew you were going to be told that you were not ready for a promotion due still needed to learn more about the job. You in essence by your own statement, knew you were not fully into being able to do your job and needed more time.

You are angry, because an employee that does the same work as you is getting promoted. You have only been there 4 months, and The other employee has been around for a longer period of time, than you have been, so why would you not expect the other person to be promoted.

With the way so many employees only work at a place to get experience and then move on, can you really blame a company that rewards those that stay with the company, and not leaving for the first available position with another company. You have already shown the company, that you are not a long term employee leaving another job to go with them. She has earned the next promotion by working for a period of time showing the company that she is happy with the company, and not going to be leaving at any time soon.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:07 PM

797 posts, read 744,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue17 View Post
I have considered it, but management can never seem to give a real 'why' explanation. My quality of work is fine, I do the job, I get along with coworkers, etc etc. My former boss told me that I should have gotten the promotion, but it was out of her hands in the end (her boss had the final call). The only real thing that was said to me during this review was that I don't talk enough. Which is true. I'm not a bubbly person and never will be - but my work ethic is strong.
This .
I wasnt the best social person at my past job wither but busted my a**.
The manager that promoted me left and after that it went downhill. I was always picked on >ended up quitting and did another thing.
If your not social like myself,perhaps try to get into a field where your completely solo.
Another thing,is this girl prettier than you or thinner? No offense,just asking.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:15 PM

88,041 posts, read 83,864,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
probation lasts a year or more...
Sometimes. It was six months where I worked most of my life. That's enough time to catch the problem people, usually.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:28 PM

7,910 posts, read 4,898,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
We had an interview candidate in our HR department; since most in our department were involved in the interviewing process we were able to compare candidates.

One in particular played her role perfectly: complimenting our manager from the get-go and saying all the right things to keep said manager on a pedestal. She was obviously the manager's choice and offered the position.

Our newbie was exceptional at climbing her ladder and even though her work ethics and quality of work were average, she was promoted three times in a two year period and her salary increased 30% (unfortunately I had access to all payroll information). As far as interpersonal skills, it was a loss because the only person she was pleasant to was our manager.

It most often truly is "who you know".

These days it is for sure. I would want the best possible team I could get if possible as I figured any level headed manager with common sense (And you keep you team happy and motivated with incentives wherever possible) would but I think the main problem lies in the personalities of said managers who get the job today as maybe by nature or turn paranoid due to the corporate environment and become fearful of their jobs.

I guess many managers today are fearful of their positions and would rather hire less competent workers or become blinded by those who butter them up and become blind to the suck ups. Still I dont get it because it SHOULD reflect poorly on you as a hiring manager hiring an incompetent staff because at the end of the day your people have to produce

Old 01-13-2017, 06:07 PM

35 posts, read 38,296 times
I still have to read through some of the responses here, but I just got home from work and want to throw out a few points from the bits and pieces of responses I have read:

1. I don't feel "entitled" to a promotion. I'm only in an administrative customer support position, which is the type of work I have been doing for just about my entire working life. It's not difficult work. I do get easily bored if not given new challenges regularly, something discussed in my initial interview. It doesn't take me long to learn the ropes. Yes, I was expecting them to at least let me begin learning something new right now.

2. Yes, I am somewhat angry that this coworker got promoted. She has been there a couple of months longer than me, but again she calls in all the time. Dependability is a huge thing for me - and I'm looking at it in terms of 'if I was a manager, I would want somebody reliable and friendly, not unreliable and a social butterfly'.

3. I didn't leave a job for this one. I left a job and took some time off, and then found this one.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:19 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,262,301 times
Quote:
I still have to read through some of the responses here, but I just got home from work and want to throw out a few points from the bits and pieces of responses I have read:

1. I don't feel "entitled" to a promotion. I'm only in an administrative customer support position, which is the type of work I have been doing for just about my entire working life. It's not difficult work. I do get easily bored if not given new challenges regularly, something discussed in my initial interview. It doesn't take me long to learn the ropes. Yes, I was expecting them to at least let me begin learning something new right now.

2. Yes, I am somewhat angry that this coworker got promoted. She has been there a couple of months longer than me, but again she calls in all the time. Dependability is a huge thing for me - and I'm looking at it in terms of 'if I was a manager, I would want somebody reliable and friendly, not unreliable and a social butterfly'.

3. I didn't leave a job for this one. I left a job and took some time off, and then found this one.
You should be glad to see the promotion of your colleague. It means that your company actually does promote people out of the ranks. And relatively quickly too.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:19 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,577,544 times
Quote:

The reality is that you don't know why she calls in all the time or why she is getting phone calls at work. Maybe she has a small child who gets sick? My sister started a new job when her baby was 9 months old. He had to go into daycare and when you get sick, the baby is not allowed in. So guess what? The daycare would call her a lot about his condition and then she'd have to go home to pick him up. That really didn't affect the quality of her work when she was there. It was also passing as the baby grew up and got a better immune system so that he wasn't getting sick every 2-3 weeks.

In fact, many parents who have small children who have to go to daycare have the exact same experience. They may be understanding to other parents in similar situations who need to miss work due to a child being sick. I have a friend who heads an office who had a boss who missed a day every 2 weeks when she had a new baby. It just happens... it doesn't mean that she is an unreliable or bad employee. It just means that she had a new baby without an immune system yet.

That is just one example of why a person might miss. Since she's only been there a short time and you've only been there a short time, it's not like either of you have a long history behind you.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:25 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,524,608 times
Quote:

2:
i hope this doesnt sound too offensive but your role doesnt seem very business critical. so whether you crank out 100 t.p.s. reports a day or just 10 like your slacker co-worker, to the eyes of your managers you guys are the same since no one really cares about t.p.s. reports. they probably flipped a coin to decide who gets the promotion (or maybe since your co-worker has been there 3 months longer, they just decided to go with her).

its not like hiring for a new cto where they will interview for several months hoping for the perfect candidate.

Old 01-14-2017, 01:00 PM

609 posts, read 502,867 times
Have you ever tried working for yourself? Most people who are unhappy about their jobs should try to work for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment