Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 10:13 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,067,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careerist View Post
I agree 100% about disarray possibly equating to opportunity. Hence, why I've been planting the seed around that I can be of service in certain areas, particularly analytics.

What do you think is a good timeline for meeting this expectation? My one year mark arrives at the end of April. Thanks!
I don't think you should have a hard deadline. I think there are so many intangibles in situations like this that the best thing to do is to be a.) available to pitch in and b.) low maintenance. Everything else should fall in its place in due time.

Good luck. It's refreshing to see someone like yourself who can see a big picture in situations such as these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 10:20 AM

432 posts, read 342,982 times
Quote:
I don't know one way or another if I will. I don't believe she has asked about it. I do have more initiative than my co-worker, I will say that. For example, I've established one-on-one sessions with my new director when he came on board to discuss my week-to-week projects and tasks. When my one year anniversary comes around, I will certainly ask about it. Whether I actually get one or not is TBD.
You should start the job search now as there's too many open questions (including your annual review). It's easier to find a new job when you're already working.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:33 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
You haven't even been there for a year, and now you've got a management team who has been there for even less time. Your expectations that you should have a clear path for career advancement beyond your current role is unrealistic under these circumstances. Not unrealistic in general, I've had more than one position created/customized to suit my talents and interests. But it doesn't happen in a few months and it doesn't happen during a time when management is still figuring out what's going on.

It's a legitimate basis for discussion during your annual review. But if you think that their focus is supposed to be your career development rather than making sure the current needs of the department are addressed, by all means, move on and add this one to what is a list of at least two per your original post, and I suspect more, jobs where your unreasonable expectations don't get met.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:34 AM

255 posts, read 200,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
I don't think you should have a hard deadline. I think there are so many intangibles in situations like this that the best thing to do is to be a.) available to pitch in and b.) low maintenance. Everything else should fall in its place in due time.

Good luck. It's refreshing to see someone like yourself who can see a big picture in situations such as these.
Thank you for your input.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
You haven't even been there for a year, and now you've got a management team who has been there for even less time. Your expectations that you should have a clear path for career advancement beyond your current role is unrealistic under these circumstances. Not unrealistic in general, I've had more than one position created/customized to suit my talents and interests. But it doesn't happen in a few months and it doesn't happen during a time when management is still figuring out what's going on.

It's a legitimate basis for discussion during your annual review. But if you think that their focus is supposed to be your career development rather than making sure the current needs of the department are addressed, by all means, move on and add this one to what is a list of at least two per your original post, and I suspect more, jobs where your unreasonable expectations don't get met.
Can you at least see where I'm coming from? I came here with one expectation, and that expectation has been flipped on its head due to circumstances out of my control. Do you truly believe that, given everything I've explained in this thread, that I do not have any reason to be concerned about my role and where it's headed?

I don't know too many people who can say that they remain absolutely confident about their position during and after a reorg, particularly when things are not improving after almost one year after the reorg. I've witnessed first hand employees who've been here for some time fret about their roles and the state of the organization. If it wasn't an issue, then I can't understand why so many other people have been leaving this company over the past several months. Attrition is at a pretty high level right now. If what I described is not that big of a deal, then how do you explain that? Also, keep in mind that the manager who hired me, who advocated for me, is no longer here. Everything that he had in mind for me is out the window.

I also don't appreciate your brash assumptions about my career choices.

Last edited by Careerist; 01-13-2017 at 10:49 AM..

Old 01-13-2017, 10:41 AM

1,849 posts, read 1,806,856 times
Quote:

Here is the problem. The new director and manager are mostly uninformed about what we do in our department. They know some things, but they don't know the fine details, which prevents them from understanding our roles as they should. Furthermore, they are mostly non-existent. They are always away, sometimes in meetings, sometimes who knows where. Though I enjoy the sovereignty of my position, I feel that there is not much mentorship or guidance. I came here with the hopes that I'd have more opportunity for professional development and a better career path. I've been doing my diligence in reaching out to other teams and finding opportunities where I can, but I have zero support from management to help me reach any of my professional goals. Our team is also fairly isolated from other teams (tucked away in a small floor away from the other groups), so we don't get the valuable face time with others that seeds future collaboration. Our department is the epitome of Milton from the movie Office Space, who was moved down to the basement floor of the office.
I was in a similar position - flatline but good salary and a fake "feel good" mentality from my boss, only for her to be passive aggressive and fire me for a BS reason. They never appreciated the value I brought to the table out of the gate. It's sad, but thankfully I landed safely with a company that is excited for me to start and provide value. Our company was also acquired last year through a series of restructuring. Not always a good thing.

NEVER should any employee have to stay at a company where there are constant changes and they feel under-appreciated. I think it's time for you to move on, and it's probably a good thing regardless to do.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:53 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
Quote:
Can you at least see where I'm coming from? I came here with one expectation, and that expectation has been flipped on its head due to circumstances out of my control. Do you truly believe that, given everything I've explained in this thread, that I do not have any reason to be concerned about my role and where it's headed?

I don't know too many people who can say that they remain absolutely confident about their position during and after a reorg, particularly when things are not improving after almost one year after the reorg. If it wasn't an issue, then I can't understand why so many other people have been leaving this company over the past several months. Attrition is at a pretty high level right now. If what I described is not that big of a deal, then how do you explain that?
Yes I understand that there is uncertainty during a reorg. But even without a reorg, I think your timing expectations are unreasonable - you haven't proven yourself to them to warrant trying to create a position/path for you. And it's not "almost" a year, since you've only been there 3/4 of a year, and this didn't happen until after you started. It takes time for things to sort out after a reorg.

As for attrition, that's info you didn't share in your original post. So yes, it may be that the future of the organization is less stable than you think it is. But it may also mean there will be opportunity to expand your role, hard to say without knowing all the details. I can say that personally, shake ups have been good for me, because I've been able to take on additional responsibilities that further enhanced my own role.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:55 AM

1,849 posts, read 1,806,856 times
Quote:
Yes I understand that there is uncertainty during a reorg. But even without a reorg, I think your timing expectations are unreasonable - you haven't proven yourself to them to warrant trying to create a position/path for you. And it's not "almost" a year, since you've only been there 3/4 of a year, and this didn't happen until after you started. It takes time for things to sort out after a reorg.

As for attrition, that's info you didn't share in your original post. So yes, it may be that the future of the organization is less stable than you think it is. But it may also mean there will be opportunity to expand your role, hard to say without knowing all the details. I can say that personally, shake ups have been good for me, because I've been able to take on additional responsibilities that further enhanced my own role.
However to be fair, 3/4 of a year post re-organization can be just enough time for someone to be fired.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
I was in a similar position - flatline but good salary and a fake "feel good" mentality from my boss, only for her to be passive aggressive and fire me for a BS reason. They never appreciated the value I brought to the table out of the gate. It's sad, but thankfully I landed safely with a company that is excited for me to start and provide value. Our company was also acquired last year through a series of restructuring. Not always a good thing.

NEVER should any employee have to stay at a company where there are constant changes and they feel under-appreciated. I think it's time for you to move on, and it's probably a good thing regardless to do.
Fortunately, my director and I have a very good relationship. He is the silver lining of this otherwise drab situation.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:

I'm coming up on a year, and the situation has not improved. My co-worker and I essentially ran this department alone last year, completing some very significant projects, with minimal guidance mind you, that are due every year and are heavily regulated by the government. I stated that earlier, so your dismissal of my proving myself during a very unsteady time is undermining my contributions thus far. I have done a great deal at this company so far.

Yes, I understand that I've been here a relatively short time. However, my career path is and always will be a priority, just as dividends are to a shareholder. Hence my concern about steps forward and requesting advice.

Thank you for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment