Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 08:21 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,328,338 times

Advertisements

I don't think college is a scam or only for the elite. It's necessary for a lot of jobs and that's just a fact. For my job you need a Masters degree, should my profession lower its standards so more people can pursue it, absolutely not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 12:42 AM

2,919 posts, read 2,570,332 times
Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzmark View Post
College is a scam. It only benefits the socially elite in the long run. Student loans are a scam also.
Definitely agree that student loans are a scam!

I speak from experience - will be paying back on mine for the next 10 years.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:54 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,770,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
I have been thinking lately that college is a scam. I guess it is what it is for certain professions that require it for training...but really why not just get training and pay for it. So many people go off to college clueless after taking SATs, going through a gruelling application process, then finally paying for it and making sure you pass....and actually then finally...getting a job.

This is basically impossible to do once you have kids unless you have someone else supporting you or your company paying for it

Does anyone think this whole process will ever go away? This just isnt a fit for everyone. Sidenote i have a masters so i did go through all this...but it just seems dumb.
A scam???? That's ludicrous.

If it seems dumb to you you must have gotten your master's in something essentially useless for getting a job - like English Lit.

And the "professional training" of which you speak IS the college degree.

What "grueling application process"? You fill out the paperwork and mail it in. There's nothing "grueling" about it.

And it isn't "impossible to do once you have kids" - it'll just take a lot longer and requires a lot more dedication. You take one or two classes per semester and hope your spouse hangs in there with you. Yes, its a balancing act, but it can be done.

Obviously its easier to get it done if you do it BEFORE you have kids - that's why most people go straight out of high school. Realistic planning is required.

Of course its not a "fit" for everyone. Unfortunately with the job market being so tight, tons of jobs that used to hire on straight out of high school now require a degree. But that is a totally different issue.

Really you sound like you made some bad choices and now you just want to blame the world.

Quote:
College is a scam. It only benefits the socially elite in the long run. Student loans are a scam also.
Socially elite??? REALLY? My dad grew up in a tar paper shack in a squatter's town. They had no running water, and in fact he got typhoid fever from contaminated well water and was bedridden for a year - nearly died. The only heat in the house was the kitchen stove - I forget if it burned coal or wood. He got a full ride merit scholarship to Purdue.

I grew up in a small country town. Both my parents had lived through the depression so half the back yard was a vegetable garden. I cooked, canned, made jelly. Basically I grew up one generation behind my peers. Made some of our clothes on an old Singer sewing machine that had been converted to use a motor. Got kicked out at 17 (crazy mother) and then worked my way through college.

Yeah. Not the elite here.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:05 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,465,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
College is a scam as it a transfer of wealth or money to poor or certain racial groups.
The majority have to pay full tuition while illegals or poor are getting a free ride in many cases. If you notice public colleges always indoctrinate students with a liberal
philosophy so democrat leaders don't mind the fact tuitions rise faster than inflation.
Your racism is showing. Everyone I know including people of color have all paid their own way including getting student loans as needed. Tales of all these free rides are not true.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:41 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,909,075 times
I'm all for "free" college. But only if it were similar to a European system where you must earn high marks in high school and be able to pass an entrance exam. When the taxpayer/government is paying for the education, they don't want to waste time and money on a student who is not ready to do college level work. Abroad, people like this are sent to vocational school instead. For some reason in America we insist that everyone is a special snowflake who deserves to go to college even if they can't write or do elementary school math.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:21 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,276,584 times
Quote:
Washing your hands is a scam too. It just benefits the soap industry.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:29 AM

7,159 posts, read 9,267,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I'm all for "free" college. But only if it were similar to a European system where you must earn high marks in high school and be able to pass an entrance exam. When the taxpayer/government is paying for the education, they don't want to waste time and money on a student who is not ready to do college level work. Abroad, people like this are sent to vocational school instead. For some reason in America we insist that everyone is a special snowflake who deserves to go to college even if they can't write or do elementary school math.
^^^ Good point. We should offer free tuition only for well qualified candidates.

However, imagine the political backlash!

Old 01-15-2017, 07:38 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,909,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
^^^ Good point. We should offer free tuition only for well qualified candidates.

However, imagine the political backlash!

The popular argument is under such a system a genius who could someday cure cancer will never get there because they were rejected from college. But come on, someone who is that bright and ambitious is not going to do so poorly as to not get accepted into a college.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:52 AM

12,741 posts, read 8,946,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Socially elite??? REALLY? My dad grew up in a tar paper shack in a squatter's town. They had no running water, and in fact he got typhoid fever from contaminated well water and was bedridden for a year - nearly died. The only heat in the house was the kitchen stove - I forget if it burned coal or wood. He got a full ride merit scholarship to Purdue.

I grew up in a small country town. Both my parents had lived through the depression so half the back yard was a vegetable garden. I cooked, canned, made jelly. Basically I grew up one generation behind my peers. Made some of our clothes on an old Singer sewing machine that had been converted to use a motor. Got kicked out at 17 (crazy mother) and then worked my way through college.

Yeah. Not the elite here.

Didn't you know you're privileged? I very much remember picking beans on August mornings and spending the day canning in the kitchen. Air conditioning was opening the kitchen window. We were luck; we had propane in our house. But very many of our friends and relatives used a coal stove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post

I absolutely agree. College aid should be on merit. When I grew up vo-tech high schools were common and most schools had shop so you could learn a trade.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:16 AM

15,054 posts, read 10,054,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
College is a scam as it a transfer of wealth or money to poor or certain racial groups.
The majority have to pay full tuition while illegals or poor are getting a free ride in many cases. If you notice public colleges always indoctrinate students with a liberal
philosophy so democrat leaders don't mind the fact tuitions rise faster than inflation.
I am a minority... I paid my own way. No one ever offered me a free ride. I know of no minorities that get a free ride through college just because they were a minority.

I spent a chunk of my childhood in poor schools and then in H.S. transferred to a stronger district as my parent's financial situation improved. I struggled as the differences in the quality of education was painfully obvious and I wasn't prepared. My closest of friends that didn't transfer were left to fend for themselves in a school that left them ill prepared for real life. I guess I am a lucky one... I had poor immigrant parents.. yet they were educated in other ways.

It is also not unheard of for the top graduating students in poor quality school districts to be turned away for college admittance and scholarships.... they simply don't rank nationally well because of the school.

What DOES improve your chances of getting into college and access to grants/aid/scholarships is excellent demonstration of academics and extra curricular activities. Poor school districts simply do not give students that access to quality education. Wealthier schools with quality education equates to a higher percentage of students graduating to college and a higher percentage awarded grants/aids/scholarships.

The single best chance kids have to climb the socioeconomic ladder is quality education. Since the poor kids grow up being taught the wrong life lessons and given access only to poor quality of education, their situation often feels like a trap.. stuck. I know how it feels...

It isn't a racial thing... it is a socioeconomic class thing.

I never got any college scholarships or whatever... I wasn't a strong student academically (maybe if my parents had transfered/moved earlier). As such, I'm fine with that. I gave up on the idea of going to college (I wanted learn a trade.. auto-mechanics) but my father encourage me to at least try. However, I am still a believer that it should be based on merit. The issue we should address is the quality of education prior to college.

PS> My brother, 14 years younger than I, grew up and graduated from the school district that I only had the privilege of attending for 2 years. He had all the access to great programs that I didn't have. Yet.. now.. in his later 20s.. he is still unemployed and smooching off my parents. Yet... he went to college... not paying a dime through his own labor.. (parents and aid). What a freakin waste...

Last edited by usayit; 01-15-2017 at 09:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment