Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 10:02 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,915,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
people who end up in debt due so with their own actions, the debt was not forced onto them
Bull****. Almost every student I knew in college couldn't pay for college without it. This has been almost a decade ago and tuition has only gone up since then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 11:12 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,415,212 times
The newest scam is a lot of colleges are refusing to accept transfer credits from community colleges. They don't want people saving money by taking classes there. A few states have laws to prevent that but the practice is wide spread. Colleges are a bubble and a fraud and should lose their nonprofit status.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:21 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,332,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
people who end up in debt due so with their own actions , the debt was not forced onto them
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Bull****. Almost every student I knew in college couldn't pay for college without it. This has been almost a decade ago and tuition has only gone up since then.
I think the point MLSFan is making is that taking out loans is a choice. You don't have to go in to debt.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:22 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,918,077 times
Taking out loans for college can be a good investment provided you major in a field that has a high rate of return on investment like computer science. Let's say you take on about 20k for CC and a state school and study computer science. Chances are you will have a job lined up before graduation that pays 70k a year. That debt will be quickly paid off.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:24 AM

22,539 posts, read 47,584,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Definitely agree that student loans are a scam!

I speak from experience - will be paying back on mine for the next 10 years.
Loaning you money at your request is a scam? Nah....
And if you truly felt it is, you would not have CHOSEN to take out the loans.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:45 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,604,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzmark View Post
College is a scam. It only benefits the socially elite in the long run. Student loans are a scam also.
Considering both my husband and I grew up poor.....free lunches and all....I would have to completely disagree! We both went to college. He works in IT and is a highly sought after individual because of what he does. Not a lot of people have his knowledge and expertise. I own my own business. We definitely weren't part of the socially elite....we were poor! We both got a an education and made something of ourselves. Both of us knew we didn't want to be adults and stay poor. So we worked for what we have today. We're still not part of the socially elite, but we live comfortably.

And we both too out student loans for our educations. Some are paid off. Some are still being paid.

Would we have changed anything? Nope. It made us who we are today. We still look back at times when getting a $5 pizza was a luxury. Our first apartment was not great.....we didn't have much..not even a table for our tv. Our tv was given to us.....it was an ollllllld tv my grandmother had in a backroom. We put on top of a cooler we had in our living room. We didn't have cable...couldn't afford it. Ironically, today we don't have cable either. Not because we can't afford it. Because we choose not to have it.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:43 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,915,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
I think the point MLSFan is making is that taking out loans is a choice. You don't have to go in to debt.
Taking out loans was not a choice, it was a requirement. There was no way I was going to college without it.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:50 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,565,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
The newest scam is a lot of colleges are refusing to accept transfer credits from community colleges. They don't want people saving money by taking classes there. A few states have laws to prevent that but the practice is wide spread. Colleges are a bubble and a fraud and should lose their nonprofit status.
They've been doing this in my home state for over 10 years...

Old 01-15-2017, 12:55 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,565,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Taking out loans was not a choice, it was a requirement. There was no way I was going to college without it.
Not so. You could do a "dirty job" no one wants to (something in harsh Alaskan winter, garbage truck, etc.) that doesn't require a college degree, and earn enough to save up and pay for the school in cash. Perhaps you don't find this desirable but it absolutely can be done. A relative of mine made $35,000 in a few months on some sort of (crab harvesting?) boat job - and to boot, lived on the boat so did not pay rent.

It's all about what sacrifices you are willing to make.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:59 PM

12,824 posts, read 9,015,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
The real "scam" if you want to call it that, is so many CCs accept students who really shouldn't be in college to start with, and then water down the courses so they can pass. CC has become an almost high school do-over rather than true college. That's why higher quality colleges don't accept them -- they don't provide the material needed for the next course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment