Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 02:14 PM

8 posts, read 43,065 times

Advertisements

I posted last week about my parent company not paying employees on time and not providing us with a pay schedule. Today, I drove 44 miles round-trip to get my check that we should have received on Jan. 16, but they did not print them because they claimed they didn't have to as it was a federal holiday (MLK Day). When I got to the office, the comptroller (or whatever her title is) has issued THIS LETTER to ALL EMPLOYEES of the company.

NOTE: It's dated Dec. 13, 2011.

"Beginning January 1, 2012, pay periods for both XXX (parent company) and XXXX (my place of employment) will switch from biweekly to semi-monthly with the 1st and the 15th of each month as period ending dates. Checks will follow 3-4 working days after each period. This means 24 pay periods a year instead of 26. There will not be any month with 3 payrolls again.

Following is a schedule of pay periods with approximate check dates. This schedule is based on 3 working days following the 1st and the 15th."

After that, there is a list of when the pay periods end for each month and the "approximate" pay date. However, each date is listed as such:

pay period: 01/01/12
check day: 01/04/12

and it goes on like that through December "2012."

In some cases, assuming these dates are even CORRECT for 2017, checks will come anywhere from 3 to 6 days after the end of a pay period.

Also, they have stated in the letter there will be NOT be 26 pay periods, but 24, which means I do not make my annual salary a year. I'm short a month's worth of checks (two checks), meaning my salary is, in effect, being cut.

WHAT IS THIS?! They have been doing this since I started here in November, but just now are issuing a letter? And "approximate" pay dates? I have NOT FOUND anywhere where it says it's legal for an employer to post "approximate" pay dates. Harkening back to my earlier post about this, everyone said not only do the pay dates have to posted conspicuously in two places, but employees are supposed to be given notice of when paydays are. I suppose they think this suffices?

And to also go back to my earlier post, yes, I am looking for another job but I have not found anything yet. In the meantime, I know for a fact if I say something to the parent company about this being illegal, they may fire me.

ADVICE?? (I have already contacted a labor and employment attorney about this, but that was before I received this letter today.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 02:53 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,618,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by araorun View Post

<snip>

Also, they have stated in the letter there will be NOT be 26 pay periods, but 24, which means I do not make my annual salary a year. I'm short a month's worth of checks (two checks), meaning my salary is, in effect, being cut.

<snip>
Re 24 vs 26 pay periods, it evens out by the end of the year.

26 periods = bi-weekly = nominally 10 working days each and every check of equal amounts.

24 periods = bi-monthly = 9, 10, 11 or 12 working days per check, depending on # of days in a month ( 28, 30, 31) = varying amounts per check.

In each case the hourly wage or weekly salary is the same.

For instance, this January, from the 16th thru the 31st should be a 12 day check.

Last February 2016 from 16th thru the 28th would have been a 9 day check.

My last job of 10 years was paid this way.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:00 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,015,532 times
Advice= get OUTA Dodge as fast as you can! Start looking for a new job right now.

Once they start pulling monkey-business with payroll, it starts slipping until the employee is left holding the bag.

I'd bet you go into work one day, and find the place locked up, with a note on the door.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:59 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,373 times
You should get paid the same over the year, but your checks will be slighter more for 24 vs 26 pay periods, i.e. each check out of the 24 will be slightly more than the check out of the 26 pay periods so you get paid the same amount for the year.

If not, and you are getting the same check amount, but only 24 times vs the old 26 times, you are getting screwed.

I agree with MikeBear, run, find something else. Once a company starts messing around with payroll, especially with late checks, it is usually only a matter of time before bad things happen.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:04 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Pay periods should always be clear and concise.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:11 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,189,424 times
Don't bother with a 2 week notice. Just announce your resignation and walk out of there. Loyalty isn't deserved with those clowns. Any and all potential employers will understand your situation.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:14 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
How are you not getting your pay? The two are changing they pay date, but not your amount correct? Many companies pay twice a month.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:44 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
I read this a bit differently from other posters.

As I read it, your payroll accountant forwarded a letter from 2011 to let people know that this is a long standing policy with the company. Standard policy is to pay 3 business days after the 1st or 15th. Since the 15th was a Sunday, and the 16th is a holiday, and therefore not a business day as defined by your company, payroll checks will be issued on 1/19.

This isn't an approximate schedule, but a clearly defined one.

As for the 24 check vs 26 check thing, it depends on your gross pay per check. Look at the gross, multiply by 24. Does it match your salary? If so, not a problem. If it doesn't, you have a legitimate question.

Now, is this a fair pay schedule? Maybe. If they are paying you for work done from Jan 1-Jan 15 on the 19th, that is incredibly fair. They are taking three working days to record timesheets, adjust PTO, and issue checks. Irritating because the payday varies, but it isn't an unreasonable time for HR/payroll to do the work necessary.

On the other hand, if the check issued on 1/19 is for work done 12/15-12/31, that is not as quick a trurnaround, and the variability of the pay dates is problematic given the time they available have to issue the checks.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:13 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I read this a bit differently from other posters.

As I read it, your payroll accountant forwarded a letter from 2011 to let people know that this is a long standing policy with the company. Standard policy is to pay 3 business days after the 1st or 15th. Since the 15th was a Sunday, and the 16th is a holiday, and therefore not a business day as defined by your company, payroll checks will be issued on 1/19.

This isn't an approximate schedule, but a clearly defined one.
Based on the info, the OP probably raised some stink over the payday issue and asked about it and maybe even brought up the requirement to have a pay schedule posted. So, HR simply resent the pay date sheet everyone most likely was given earlier or at time of hire but never actually took the time to read it.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:20 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Based on the info, the OP probably raised some stink over the payday issue and asked about it and maybe even brought up the requirement to have a pay schedule posted. So, HR simply resent the pay date sheet everyone most likely was given earlier or at time of hire but never actually took the time to read it.
Yes, I agree. OP, in this thread and the other she started, seems to have a lack of understanding of the company's payroll processes, and payroll practices in general. It is possible that they are exceeding state requirements by paying sooner than required.

The complaints to the owner in Florida, as well as driving to get a check that wasn't ready, don't inspire confidence in her judgment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment