Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 04:14 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,143,681 times

Advertisements

did we pass? i hope to get at least a C+ for this test. are you grading on a curve?

Old 01-18-2017, 04:17 PM

432 posts, read 343,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
did we pass? i hope to get at least a C+ for this test. are you grading on a curve?
Not yet. Later on you might if you're serious.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:23 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by education explorer View Post
The fact that those jobs existed means they were being productive and getting paid for it.
Their "productivity" came at the cost of wasting time for a lot of people who didn't want to buy anything, nor be called by them in the first place. In economics, this is what is called an externality - the telemarketer's activity consumes time and attention that comes at no cost to him. So the DNC was instituted and random people's time was no longer a free resource to be consumed. Lo and behold, people signed up by the hundreds of thousands - and once their time was no longer free to mooch, the business model failed.

Quote:
Since those jobs were legal, then it wasn't a good thing.
Has commerce stopped? Are people languishing for lack of knowledge on where to get overpriced aluminum siding and semi-scammy life insurance?

Not as far as I can tell. A major nuisance has been diminished considerably. If your service was one that the buying public wanted, they wouldn't sign up for the DNC. Yet, they did.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
You're not making sense.
Think hard, you'll get it.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:34 PM

4,142 posts, read 3,054,676 times
Quote:
If they're violating DNC, you can sue for $11,000 per call.
I even looked into getting a 900 number for my home phone, so that people would have to pay to call me. Alas, at over $1000 a month, it just would not be profitable.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Think hard, you'll get it.
Clarify as I'm not making the effort.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Clarify as I'm not making the effort.
Carry on, then. It's not important.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:25 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,037,472 times
Quote:
According to the report, it says between 1 - 2 million telemarketers lost their jobs around the time the federal DNC was established.
You say that like its a bad thing lol.

Which brings us to........

Quote:
So I'm really asking what led to the establishment of the DNC?
Telemarketers.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Their "productivity" came at the cost of wasting time for a lot of people who didn't want to buy anything, nor be called by them in the first place. In economics, this is what is called an externality - the telemarketer's activity consumes time and attention that comes at no cost to him. So the DNC was instituted and random people's time was no longer a free resource to be consumed. Lo and behold, people signed up by the hundreds of thousands - and once their time was no longer free to mooch, the business model failed.

Has commerce stopped? Are people languishing for lack of knowledge on where to get overpriced aluminum siding and semi-scammy life insurance?

Not as far as I can tell. A major nuisance has been diminished considerably. If your service was one that the buying public wanted, they wouldn't sign up for the DNC. Yet, they did.
As far as "wasting time" goes, that's not for you to determine. That would be for prospects, telemarketers and their workplaces to determine. You're just offering your opinion.

Prospects are far more knowledgeable than you give them credit for. If they weren't, the telemarketing industry would have collapsed much sooner. It's the assumption that the seller needs to control the conversation that brought around DNC.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:47 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
What brought it? Complaints to the FCC for starters. People generally don't like being sold things especially without seeing it or touching it and on random times of the day.

I had shouting matches with telemarketers because frankly they kept calling. "Well you have to buy something to make this stop" customers would then change numbers and that becomes costly to the phone companies and businesses.

I check caller id. I don't see a reason to block a caller id because frankly if I can't call you back then what exactly is the point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment