Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 06:15 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
I mean define "sickie." I think most people have done it especially after the Super Bowl or St. Patrick's Day.
Why "especially" after those days?

Drinking to excess and getting a hangover is no excuse to call in sick. Why not just ask the boss for a vacation day in advance?

If s/he says no, don't drink to excess. Why should the rest of the workplace have to cover for the absentee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 08:49 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,249,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo1 View Post
I have once , said I was too tired after going to a wrestling event the night before ,

Can be work etc.

Worked 30 years for the Fed. Govt.

Next question.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:40 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
I can think of 3 different times where I was legitimately sick and took time off, and my boss thought I was faking it. This was 3 different jobs, 3 different companies and all times I was a good worker that didn't take excessive times all. All 3 times the boss actually made a comment to me afterwords.

1) in high school - called off job due to being ill, 1 sick day. Came into work 2 days later and got sick again. Had to run away from my work area and rush to the bathroom. Had to let the boss know as I ran away. When I got back from the bathroom my boss made some kind of comment saying that he didn't know I really was sick and he thought I was faking it when taking the sick day 2 days earlier.

2) young 20s working for major corporation. Took a sick day due to migraine. It only lasted 1.5 days so only needed 1 day off. 304 days later I am back at work and there was some weekend event where some workers were attending some volunteer thing. I was planning to go. Boss made a snide comment to me saying "I thought you were sick". As if he thinks I should stay sick for 6 days later after taking 1 sick day. Did he assume I was sneaking a sick day because I was in my 20s? I don't know.

3) years later at a Fortune 500 company. Took a couple hours off 2 different days for dental work(came in slightly late both days due to taking first morning dentist appt). First day was prep work and 10 days later for the final dental work. My boss was very worried that I was interviewing elsewhere and expressed concern about me resigning. I really had dentist appts and wasn't even looking at other jobs at all. I think I was 1.5 hour late for work both times and told the boss well in advance of the appts.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:54 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,527,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinful Parsnip View Post
OK, so your boss posts here.

Good one!

Old 01-21-2017, 02:04 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,661,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
You are asking this question on the wrong forum. Everyone here is perfect.
Perfect? No, I just show up to work when I'm supposed to. I don't screw my coworkers by just not showing up with no notice unless it's absolutely unavoidable.

You sound like one of the people who's always complaining that the boss is out to get you, your coworkers are all in a conspiracy to stab you in the back, the business is owned and run by idiots who don't understand how brilliant you are, nothing is ever your fault, you were unfairly fired, etc. Nobody is expecting "perfection", just an honest day's work.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:03 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,112 times
I rarely, if ever, call in sick. When I have, I have called in sick when I'm not feeling well. Sometimes I'm really very sick, sometimes I'm just exhausted and not feeling well/up to doing my job. Over the past year, I've taken maybe 1 sick day. It's too difficult to rearrange the things I'll miss. But I do get some flex time, so I can usually work things out and I'm generally healthy (knock on wood!).

Old 01-21-2017, 05:54 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post

Drinking to excess and getting a hangover is no excuse to call in sick. Why not just ask the boss for a vacation day in advance?

If s/he says no, don't drink to excess. Why should the rest of the workplace have to cover for the absentee?
???????

It's not a good excuse but people do it. I personally have never done it but there are many who have called in sick because they are hungover. If you don't believe that, then that's naive.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:48 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post

A hangover is a legitimate ailment that affects work performance enough to where it may be best to not work. I think most will admit to having one too many during their lifetime and needing to sit out of work to recover. Now if it is frequent, that's a different topic for another day,.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:35 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,488,380 times
When I used to get jobs I'd miss so much real sick time I never thought to fake sick. I often even worked sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment